LinkBack Thread Tools
(#51 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-06-2009, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
Tell me how America became involved in the war. Who declared war on who? If America were not the "good guys" in the war, then who exactly were?
If you want to remove WW2 from the rest of history then sure... you can spin it to make Japan the aggressor. And in many ways it was. But the leadup to WW2 is as important as the actual war if you want a balanced perspective of history.

Quote:
Can you tell me what the "reward" was? Billions in national treasure expended, millions of lives lost? How many of your relatives died in the war and were buried in foreign lands? Some of mine did/were.

You read above the numbers of soldiers killed and wounded in the battles for Iwo Jima and Okinawa. How many British, Australian, or French soldiers were involved in those battles? Oh, that's right, there weren't any.

It's funny how soon we forget the sacrifices made in the war. Forgetting is bad enough, but it's stupefying when those sacrifices are belittled.
The reward was a quick end to the war and an unconditional surrender of Japan to the Americans.

If you actually read what I posted you would realise that I believe America was justified in using the bomb
(#52 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

08-06-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:
If you want to talk about racial heirarchy and superiority, those were the driving forces behind the Germans and Japanese. Germans were the "master race", and the Japanese had a "divine" Emperor, and "manifest destiny" and all that. The Japanese saw themselves as superior to all other peoples. They didn't even consider the people of Southeast Asia as human beings, but mere chattel, fit only to be used as the lowest of slaves.

It was America and the Allies which fought against those notions.
You're right. The Japanese believed that they had a divine mission to civilise Asia. That's true. And they did think themselves as unique. But it wasn't quite a notion of superiority over the West. Certainly over other Asians they thought that though.

Also.... America and the Allies did not fight against those notions. This belief that the Allies fought for Altruistic ideals is just that... a belief. The United States was still a racially segregated nation at the time. When the war was over many of the European powers sought to retake or reassert control over many of the colonies it lost in Asia. ( Britain in Malaysia, France in Vietnam, Holland in Indonesia etc... and they failed in all those cases.)
(#53 (permalink))
Old
ACW (Offline)
JF Regular

08-06-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
It is a stupid comment. Civilians include elderly and children. Being at war with babies? How messed up is that.

Sadly, a lot of people do think like this.
It's messed up I agree. But during that time of war the quote can be relevant. In our time now the quote would not be relevant
(#54 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-06-2009, 06:35 AM

Was it necessary? Probably not. There were other ways to end the war...
The thing is, it needed to be put to an end quickly and there was no time to come up with another good way. So it happened. The war ended.

I think a lot of people tend not to realize that - especially when you get closer to the end of the war - most of the soldiers were only a piece of paper away from being a civilian. Basically drafted, sent immediately off to war with no training and no experience... To die. Even when things got to this point, the Japanese government (ignore the feelings of the normal citizen) had no interest in quitting. Someone dies? Pull some random guy out of his home and send him off to fight. When he dies just replace him with another. Who cares if the new guy is only 16, has been studying calligraphy for 2 years, and has never even seen a gun! Put him on the next ship out!

My husband`s great grandmother had 11 children. Two girls and 9 boys. Her husband died when he went off early in the war to try and make money as a soldier to make up for an extended period of hardship.
Of her 9 sons, only one survived the war. None of them volunteered. Two were fishermen, one was off in the city studying calligraphy. One was an elementary school teacher. One was drafted the day he graduated junior high school. Two were farmers, and another was doing small jobs to make money to try and study music to be a music teacher. (There were plans to build a new junior high school soon)

None of the sons were "soldiers". The one who did survive was the oldest, and he only survived because he was injured and became infected keeping him hospitalized through the end. One of the two daughters starved to death trying to keep her children healthy, but lacking any men to actually do any of the serious farming.

This was happening all over Japan. The government had no plans to give up until they had exhausted every single path for replenishing soldiers. Extending the war would have just made more and more "soldiers" dragged off to be shot.

In the town cemetery, there are three graves dedicated to those who died in the war. One to the soldiers of the area, one to those who died of "hardships" during/just after the war... And one to the men of my husband`s family. It was originally the grave for the great-grandfather, as he was apparently decorated and a pride of the town before he was killed... But it was changed after the war ended.

ETA;
I have never heard of anyone who actually did any of the real fighting who believed that the emperor was divine. That Japan had any divine right to anything, etc. Except for a few exceptions, all the attitudes I have actually encountered from people who volunteered are that it was either because they a) Wanted money and possibly honor for the family by being a decorated war hero... or b) They believed that if they didn`t go to fight that America would make it`s way to the mainland and kill their family.
The majority were, as I said, drafted.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.

Last edited by Nyororin : 08-06-2009 at 06:39 AM.
(#55 (permalink))
Old
ACW (Offline)
JF Regular

08-06-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
The thing is, it needed to be put to an end quickly and there was no time to come up with another good way. So it happened. The war ended.

I think a lot of people tend not to realize that - especially when you get closer to the end of the war - most of the soldiers were only a piece of paper away from being a civilian. Basically drafted, sent immediately off to war with no training and no experience... To die. Even when things got to this point, the Japanese government (ignore the feelings of the normal citizen) had no interest in quitting. Someone dies? Pull some random guy out of his home and send him off to fight. When he dies just replace him with another. Who cares if the new guy is only 16, has been studying calligraphy for 2 years, and has never even seen a gun! Put him on the next ship out!

My husband`s great grandmother had 11 children. Two girls and 9 boys. Her husband died when he went off early in the war to try and make money as a soldier to make up for an extended period of hardship.
Of her 9 sons, only one survived the war. None of them volunteered. Two were fishermen, one was off in the city studying calligraphy. One was an elementary school teacher. One was drafted the day he graduated junior high school. Two were farmers, and another was doing small jobs to make money to try and study music to be a music teacher. (There were plans to build a new junior high school soon)

None of the sons were "soldiers". The one who did survive was the oldest, and he only survived because he was injured and became infected keeping him hospitalized through the end. One of the two daughters starved to death trying to keep her children healthy, but lacking any men to actually do any of the serious farming.

This was happening all over Japan. The government had no plans to give up until they had exhausted every single path for replenishing soldiers. Extending the war would have just made more and more "soldiers" dragged off to be shot.

In the town cemetery, there are three graves dedicated to those who died in the war. One to the soldiers of the area, one to those who died of "hardships" during/just after the war... And one to the men of my husband`s family. It was originally the grave for the great-grandfather, as he was apparently decorated and a pride of the town before he was killed... But it was changed after the war ended.

ETA;
I have never heard of anyone who actually did any of the real fighting who believed that the emperor was divine. That Japan had any divine right to anything, etc. Except for a few exceptions, all the attitudes I have actually encountered from people who volunteered are that it was either because they a) Wanted money and possibly honor for the family by being a decorated war hero... or b) They believed that if they didn`t go to fight that America would make it`s way to the mainland and kill their family.
The majority were, as I said, drafted.
What a shame...
(#56 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-06-2009, 06:54 AM

Thank you for sharing that, Nyororin. That is an incredible story, and I am glad I resisted my urges to close this thread earlier.
(#57 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-06-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Thank you for sharing that, Nyororin. That is an incredible story, and I am glad I resisted my urges to close this thread earlier.
The really sad thing is that they`re in no way an exception. It is in no way a rare story. This sort of thing was honestly happening all over Japan.
Obviously there were crazy guys out there who raped and pillaged, who got a kick out of hurting others. This sort of thing doesn`t excuse those sorts of actions at all.
But I think that because of the horrors committed by one segment of the Japanese army, people forget that the majority were just regular guys - most of them untrained, most of them not wanting to be there - who were fighting to the death because they didn`t want to die, and if they did at least they would have died trying not to.

When great-grandmother heard the war had ended, and about the bombings - she apparently collapsed crying why hadn`t they done it sooner, why hadn`t they done it a year earlier. (Almost all of them died in the last year of the war when things were desperate.)
I think that most of the Japanese population knew they were losing, knew there was no hope, but really had no power to do anything.

ETA;
I forget where it is, but there is a really depressing museum about this sort of thing. It`s sort of like the "museum of the unwilling soldier", and has a huge collection of art, music, poetry, etc done by those who were sent off to war, from before the war. All of the contributors died in battle.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.

Last edited by Nyororin : 08-06-2009 at 07:07 AM.
(#58 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)

08-06-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Well, I had several granduncles experienced the "homefront" of WWII in (Japanese-occupied) Korea as vegetable farmers hired by a small Japanese company. They used to say that WWII is a sham war and were very bitter about the two nuclear bombs over Japan.

Why? Those nuclear bombs had killed so many Koreans willing to make a living for their poor relatives living in Korea. During that time, a very significant chunk of Koreans in Japan worked in big cities easily targeted by firebombings and, yes, the two nukes.

Yes, a bitter story. As a matter of fact, my aunt's uncle was killed during the firebombing in Osaka.

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.
(#59 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

08-06-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACW View Post
It's messed up I agree. But during that time of war the quote can be relevant. In our time now the quote would not be relevant
How would it be more relevant back then than it is today (which is irrelevant)?

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…
(#60 (permalink))
Old
Tenchu (Offline)
-

08-06-2009, 07:51 AM

Nyororin,

Did you write that kind of as a reply to my posts?

Anyway, it is an entirly different issue altogether; using civilians as soldier is equally as retarded as murdering innocent civilians.

There used to be a time when, once your Army was lost, you admitted defeat and gave up.

The concept at losing a war (especially a big one) seems to scare America a lot.

I think America starts out fighting for justice every time. Yet always has trouble achieving its victories. But given how zealot they are with their beliefs, they think any sacrafice should be made in order to win.

So when they cannot win justly, they commit unjust crimes to achieve victory.

In the end, they may win their wars, but they return to home the enemy they set out to kill after all they've done.

All they do is murder, and their goal of justice is never achieved. They are lost.

The eternal Saint is calling, through the ages she has told. The ages have not listened; the will of faith has grown old…

For forever she will wander, for forever she withholds; the Demon King is on his way, you’d best not be learned untold…