JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
GodNickSatan (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to GodNickSatan Send a message via Yahoo to GodNickSatan
08-31-2009, 05:03 AM

By all accounts, they can't be much worse than the current administration.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
joeyj (Offline)
JF Regular

08-31-2009, 06:11 AM

I think citizes from most countries suffering from continued economic crisis are looking for something new... not sure if they will find what they are looking for or not.. But hey the new government said they would stop useless constructions projects.. that's a start!
(#13 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-31-2009, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I`m a bit disappointed on how one sided this is.
Japanese government tends to work best when there is a level of balance between parties - not when 95% one party. Different parties being up there keep the other in balance and make it harder for abuses to occur.
But it's sure more functional than South Korea.

What I found interesting is the during the Japanese election, the Blue House (also known as the South Korean parliament) announced a new rearrangement of cabinet members. Consider that the current South Korean president is secretly connected with a subfaction of LDP of Japan, this is not a huge surprise.

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Abasio (Offline)
徐世普真義留

08-31-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post

In what way? Free immigration? Just what Japan needs to tax an already struggling system!
Tax is probably the main reason Japan needs more immigration. Japanese couples are not having enough babies, so there are not enough people to pay for the retirees. Either you need to start having more kids or encourage more immigration to have people of a working age paying into the system. I fear with low rates of immigration Japan could be doomed and the sweeping changes the LDP clone that is the DPJ promise will be for nothing
(#15 (permalink))
Old
GTJ (Offline)
Defeater of Weaboos

Send a message via Skype™ to GTJ
08-31-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abasio View Post
Tax is probably the main reason Japan needs more immigration. Japanese couples are not having enough babies, so there are not enough people to pay for the retirees. Either you need to start having more kids or encourage more immigration to have people of a working age paying into the system. I fear with low rates of immigration Japan could be doomed and the sweeping changes the LDP clone that is the DPJ promise will be for nothing
Oh my god you mean someone else noticed this??? THANK YOU!

I don't like how Nyororin put words into my mouth and then debunked them but if it brought on the revelation that other people realized this then YAY.

光る物全て金ならず。
なんてしつけいいこいいけつしてんな。
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-31-2009, 04:18 PM

But it`s also not so simple as just bringing people in - and for some reason the majority of the foreign community... Particularly people OUTSIDE Japan looking in - have this weird notion that opening Japan to free immigration would somehow magically solve all the problems.

I get sick of hearing it, and have heard that sort of remark about 10 times since the election results.
"Well, maybe they`ll open Japan to immigration." and "Well, maybe they`ll let Japan be a multi-cultural country now!", etc... As if policies are going to make the transient workers who enter Japan to make money to take home (90%?) decide to live in Japan for life... Or those who enter and work subsistence level jobs will suddenly be boosted up to make lots and fill the national coffers.

It doesn`t work like that.

ETA;
I`ll apologize for putting words in your mouth. I didn`t even notice it was you.
I was just tired of seeing the overwhelming response everywhere around the net being "Well, I hope they make it easier for me to go to Japan!", or "Hopefully they will make it easier for us to send our companies and workers over there to take advantage of the country!" on news sites... With no one giving a crap about what the party will do for JAPAN, and what the actual advantage will be for JAPAN.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.

Last edited by Nyororin : 08-31-2009 at 04:24 PM.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
08-31-2009, 04:59 PM

Im actually not that excited about it. I dont see the check and balances at systems at work here instead of both parties working together to try to solve the problems facing Japan its like 95% of one sided running everything without a plan without experience and a lot bad mouthing (similar to Rep and Dem here in the states). They say they will not make hasty decisions but are already talking about doing so. They stated that they will work more closely with their Asian neighbors however it seems to be more of an appeasement approach than anything else. How is Japan suppose to support Japan if they are bowing and doing what another country tells them to do. How does that benefit Japan?

Actions speak louder than words and it seems to me that the DPJ does not realize they have a world of a mess to clean up. Several citizens have already stated they are worried they wont know what they are doing. I support Japan being more independent from the US while still keeping a stronger alliance and forming a real partnership on equal terms.

I expected the new Government to do whats best for Japan not making immigration easier nor making it easier for foreign workers to come there make money not add anything to the GDP and then leave the country. What works in some countries does not work in all countries. Until the Party announces what plans they have that will benefit Japan I will remain skeptical.

They have a year to show the citizens they have what it takes to run the country or they could voted out in just a year.

(#18 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-31-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Im actually not that excited about it. I dont see the check and balances at systems at work here
It has been like this in Japan for over a half of century. I'm very happy that the LDP is dead because it's a solid relic of pre-1945 Japan. Majority of influential LDP politicians are known to have some close connections with wartime Imperial Japan politics.

When Japan kicks out some prominent politicians, there is a good room for stable reformation in South Korea. Actually a lot of South Koreans are happy that DPJ takes over Japan because there is a better justification to kick that corrupted president and other politicians (usu. historically affiliated with Imperial Japan from their forefathers) out of South Korea.

This recent Japanese election is the greatest blessing for South Korea. Thank you, Japan.

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.

Last edited by komitsuki : 08-31-2009 at 05:19 PM.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
08-31-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by komitsuki View Post
It has been like this in Japan for over a half of century. I'm very happy that the LDP is dead because it's a solid relic of pre-1945 Japan. Majority of influential LDP politicians are known to have some close connections with wartime Imperial Japan politics.

When Japan kicks out some prominent politicians, there is a good room for stable reformation in South Korea. Actually a lot of South Koreans are happy that DPJ takes over Japan because there is a better justification to kick that corrupted president and other politicians (usu. historically affiliated with Imperial Japan from their forefathers) out of South Korea.

This recent Japanese election is the greatest blessing for South Korea. Thank you, Japan.
You are assuming that they are going to do a good job and do whats best for the people. Like i said i reserve judgement until they show they not only know what they are doing but they are capable of doing it. Next year doing elections if the populace is not happy it could all turn around again and we could see a power shift.

Too early to tell but if things go south for this admin you bet South Korea will be effected as well.

Last edited by Sinestra : 08-31-2009 at 05:51 PM.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
DJnohara (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-01-2009, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatredcopter View Post
Can't believe there's no post around here about the elections yet.

The LDP has just crashed and burned for the first time in 50 years --
In landslide, DPJ wins over 300 seats | The Japan Times Online
Aso decides to step down | The Japan Times Online

What are everyone's thoughts?
I think its a good thing that the majority of the voters in Japan have elected the DPJ over the LDP. The LDP has been in power far too long and their policies to me seem to resemble that of the Republican party of the US.
When Japan's economy was doing very well for about 30 years (1959-1989), I suppose reelecting the same political party made seance because their policies at the time helped Japan's economy rise. But since the economic crash of 1989, their policies clearly haven't worked to revive the former economic glory. And plus having read about their policies regarding human rights and poverty, they overall really couldn't give a shite about people (except the rich).
So I think giving the other political party a chance was a wise decision. I'm just hoping they will live up to most of their promises, and this decision won't be a regret.