JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: Should the US president be allowed to give a message directly to America's students
Yes 76 76.77%
No 23 23.23%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#151 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-08-2009, 11:31 PM

OK, I read it.

If your point is discussions like this are pointless because the Fed runs the economy, fine then. Point taken.

But you can then apply that argument to every thread in JF. Maybe you wouldn't be incorrect, but it would get obnoxious pretty quickly.

So now I have taken heat (both here and in PMs) for creating a thread that is pointless, controversial and offensive. And all i did was ask a question. This gets stranger by the minute.
--EDIT--
Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu View Post
And for the record -- I will probably rant about this everytime someone brings up some superficial political issue, because it's relevant in every situation where Government is mentioned.
Really? Please don't.

Last edited by MMM : 09-08-2009 at 11:33 PM.
(#152 (permalink))
Old
Nathan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-08-2009, 11:55 PM

Maybe I'm just thick skinned, but I fail to see where this is an offensive topic.

Or controversial for that matter.

I'm sure the left-leaning politicians are doing their fair share of mud-slinging, but the right sure does seem quick to jump on anything and everything to make it an issue.

Although to be fair, there would likely be some flak if Mr. Steven Harper were to announce he wishes to address the Canadian youth. But I highly doubt calls of "indoctrination" would be made. "Self-serving", "self-promoting" maybe. But indoctrination? Brainwashing?

Did someone spike the kool-aid south of the 49th?
(#153 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
09-09-2009, 12:27 AM

The topic of this thread is inherently controversial - I`m assuming it was made because of interest in the controversy around something so seemingly simple.
Offensive? It most certainly shouldn`t be, as it was asking a simple question and (as I see it) an attempt to understand why it is controversial to begin with.

It turned into a rather limited discussion as only a few people participated, but it was interesting to look at from outside the ring - so to speak. I certainly think I share MMM`s puzzlement as to why this was such a huge deal - and it`s not because I am an Obama supporter.

I do think the thread has sort of served it`s purpose now that the speech has been given. I`ve watched the whole thing, and there has been no flaming or insult tossing - no getting personal with arguments (although a certain participant certainly tried to find that in MMM`s posts...) so there was never any reason to close the thread.

Controversy isn`t necessarily something that needs to have someone step in and kill. You can have a good controversial discussion without taking things too far... Unfortunately things tend to go down the wrong path WAY too quickly when any controversial subject is involved.
Personally, I think this thread has been quite a success in that department.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#154 (permalink))
Old
samurai007 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-09-2009, 12:42 AM

I agree... it wasn't offensive, it was a spirited discussion by people with differing viewpoints. People have become way too thin-skinned if mere disagreement is enough to call for thread closings...

JET Program, 1996-98, Wakayama-ken, Hashimoto-shi

Link to pictures from my time in Japan
(#155 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-09-2009, 12:48 AM

I also agree...though let's let it stay open a little longer if people want to toss in last comments.

I don't see how asking the question is offensive, and I understand the question is obviously controversial in the US at this moment, but what I don't understand is why.

A couple years ago this question would not have stirred controversy at all, but in 2009 it does.
(#156 (permalink))
Old
forgotenmemory (Offline)
Where's the rock lobster?

09-09-2009, 01:07 AM

I don't see a problem with it. I mean, even if people don't think it'll help any students at all, it's a belief he has that won't do any harm in testing out.

MY JF FAMILY and Fellow Pervs
http://www.freewebs.com/fantasyfact/jffamily.htm
Perv Dance
1 2 3 step step jump step step grope step step touch step step kiss and *SLap!!!
fantasyfact.proboards54.com
(#157 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-09-2009, 01:10 AM

You all are extremely well-spoken, it's just a shame such energy and intelligence is wasted on petty mooting.

You can't properly debate things if you don't understand the monetary system on which this is all founded.

Last edited by burkhartdesu : 09-09-2009 at 01:15 AM.
(#158 (permalink))
Old
YukisUke (Offline)
Konichiwa, bitches

Send a message via AIM to YukisUke Send a message via Yahoo to YukisUke
09-09-2009, 01:17 AM

I saw some of his speech. The parents made a big deal over nothing. Did anyone see in Texas where the reporters said that some of the parents said they took their kids out of school and are having the former president speak to them about education instead or am i the only one?
(#159 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-09-2009, 01:28 AM

I saw the speech as well and wasn't bothered by it. It's just one of those crazy American things. We just like getting upset about stuff, we get bored otherwise.
(#160 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
09-09-2009, 02:49 AM

Stupid stupid stupid!!! The reaction by parents was entirely stupid!! I don't recall the grown-ups getting upset when we had to write those Reagen letters, or when Bush Sr. addressed the youth (while we were in school) about staying away from drugs.

I said it once, and I'll say it again. Those who opposed Obama's short "stay in school" speech are being disrespectful or either are still sore over Obama winning the election in the first place. Those who opposed it, to me, is an embarrassment to the country in which I live. These people ought to be glad that he cared enough to do it in the first place.