LinkBack Thread Tools
(#101 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-02-2010, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
WHAT??!!?? There are bakeries and bread shops all over Japan that are miles ahead of the breads you buy in N. America. Baking is one of the best things Japanese chefs do.
Yeah I find the bakeries in my area to be excellent. Some of the cakes are truly spectacular.
The range of breads generally on offer up here though are pretty limited. And something as simple as a whole grain, wholemeal bread is considered a bit of a luxury item and generally costs a fair amount. It's almost impossible to find such breads in supermarkets or convenience stores. The local convenience store at the ski resort I work at does sell wholemeal bread twice a week but it's really only found here because of the large foreign population. Couldn't find it in other towns in the area.
(#102 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-02-2010, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
Yeah I find the bakeries in my area to be excellent. Some of the cakes are truly spectacular.
The range of breads generally on offer up here though are pretty limited. And something as simple as a whole grain, wholemeal bread is considered a bit of a luxury item and generally costs a fair amount. It's almost impossible to find such breads in supermarkets or convenience stores. The local convenience store at the ski resort I work at does sell wholemeal bread twice a week but it's really only found here because of the large foreign population. Couldn't find it in other towns in the area.
People selling wholemeal bread in Hokkaido and I don't understand a word of 津軽弁.
http://www.japanforum.com/forum/japa...ct-french.html

Is there a cultural invasion going on in the north?
(#103 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-02-2010, 02:14 AM

I don't think many Americans bake their own bread any more, either.
(#104 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-02-2010, 02:24 AM

People don't bake bread at home, for sure. But they still bake, wait, roast, turkeys and stuff. And people still bake pie. Actually, Japanese don't really differentiate roast and bake. They both are 焼く. I was mixing them up until this point too.
(#105 (permalink))
Old
rison (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-02-2010, 12:03 PM

I really enjoyed reading this. Well I am a Nigerian but love Japan and currently studing her language.
While majoring in Electrical engineering here in my country, I'd like to get a masters in Japan.

How credible is that, in the sense that.Is it expensive, considering factors like where to stay, fees and all?

Orochimaru >>>>>Akatsuki,
(#106 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

11-03-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranks View Post
Of course, we are Japanese, we have everything :haughty face:
I've heard Vietnam has good western style bread though.
And judging from our local Vietnamese restaurant, that may be true.
Vietnam and Lao; both have a strong french influence in some parts, so lots of good baguettes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranks View Post
Table vinegar is usually for dumplings=餃子 or for Ramen noodles I think. Never used it on salad myself. But it is white vinegar and you never see malt vinegar. Even here in the states, I don't see it that often. mmm now I feel like fresh chips with a lot of malt vinegar on :drool:
:P We're just obsessed with malt. And beer-related products, and generally lots of things that horrify other nations. *marmite toast!nomnomnom*. Hmm, never put vinegar in ramen. Will have to try it whenever i make it to Japan next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
The range of breads generally on offer up here though are pretty limited.
I used to find excellent cake in Osaka too, and again, limited bread, although I never found a proper panya. Occasionally the bakery in Top World had fresh bread of the size and sort I'm used to in the UK. Once there was packaged whole-meal bread available, the poor cashiers were totally shocked when there was suddenly this mob of foreign students all in at once, buying the whole lot up! I didn't see much savory baking on sale in japan, although there was a lot of excellent patisserie goods. Curry pan, but that's not quite the same thing. Just not quite the eccentric range of pie and things like in the UK. Cold pie~ mmmm~
(#107 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

11-03-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rison View Post
I really enjoyed reading this. Well I am a Nigerian but love Japan and currently studing her language.
While majoring in Electrical engineering here in my country, I'd like to get a masters in Japan.

How credible is that, in the sense that.Is it expensive, considering factors like where to stay, fees and all?
good luck to you-- you deserve to do well.
(#108 (permalink))
Old
Saradus (Offline)
JF Regular

11-03-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
:P We're just obsessed with malt. And beer-related products, and generally lots of things that horrify other nations. *marmite toast!nomnomnom*. Hmm, never put vinegar in ramen. Will have to try it whenever i make it to Japan next.
That's another thing I'd start to miss in Asia, Marmite! Love the stuff!

Grill some marmite on toast till it's bubbling, spread some cheese over it to melt and voila you have a melt-in-your-mouth, absolutely delicious snack!
(#109 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
11-04-2010, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
You know-- I thought there was another thread discussing the food in Japan.

Now let me ask what is a typical japanese kitchen like compared to British.

do they have a stove and oven.

I was told that they cook over a fire in the middle of the room. I am sure someone here can clarify this--

Also of course there is the sleeping and bathing arrangements which I believe are unique to Japan.

having to wash in a sink before stepping into a bath-- which would be used by most of the family so the water needs to remain clean?

sleeping on futons? the sliding panels that can be moved to enlarge or change a rooms lay out?
Yet another fine post that deserves a thread of its own.
I`ll move this over to another thread!

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.