JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
tsurezure (Offline)
New to JF

10-24-2010, 03:48 PM

Whenever young people say "I want to live in Japan",Paris syndrome occurred to me.
Paris syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It seems that young people from the West are more naive than people from Asia.They know more realistic information.In other words,negative aspects of Japanese society.

Among western people,those who are interested in eastern philosophy and religion or Japanese martial arts (old school )are more mature.
Anime,Manga,Visual-kei fans from the West (new school,after spread of the Internet) tend to have most shallow and naive views of Japan and REAL LIFE.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
StonerPenguin (Offline)
loves bein' gross ಥ‿�

10-24-2010, 04:02 PM

@ Columbine
That doesn't sound crazy to me at all. I think I feel pretty much the same
I don't hate living on a AFB, in fact, I totally love it (though I dislike my state and much of its people -- y'know, the racist, sexist, crazy-religious rednecks). But I'd still like to live in another country not as a 'tourist', but a functioning (semi) citizen. Something to be proud of in the chronicles of my life story and how I was able to appreciate and experience culture significantly different from my own. Best of luck in your conquests

Last edited by StonerPenguin : 10-24-2010 at 04:42 PM.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-24-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
(This was moved from another thread, and an almost unrelated post was quoted. I have removed the quote, but felt this was a good topic for discussion so have given it a thread all for itself. - Nyororin)

ACTUALLY-- reading the above makes me wonder of the attraction for youngsters for Japan.

Why do they want to go there? what illusions of the place do they have?

So much through the ANIME and manga---------what do they actually believe it is like to live in JAPAN. what is its charm, Mystery, Marvels that attracts them so?

The reality of living there surely would soon disillusion them.

I have been reading a lot of books but more to do with the society-- every day living. I love my japanese friend here in UK-- I became interested in Japan and its people because of HER. Trying to understand her ways.

I am keen to learn about its art and history and culture-- good and bad. It is doubtful that I can make it to Japan-- I would love to see its countryside most of all. I cannot walk well-- so uncertain if I could sightsee as I would like to.

I guess to many of us its a land of mystery-- and contradictions.

WHat really is the magnet that attracts people to want to live in Japan?
Thankyou so Much Nyrorin-- I realise I should have posted that on a new thread.-- forgive my carelessness.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
10-24-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaTensei View Post
when I watch a japanese tv show (comedy based ones) I actually cry with laughter sometimes...I don't even do that with some of my favourite english comedy tv shows. Just love the sense of humour.

My opinion can be considered invalid though because I havn't decided if I want to make a move to japan
I'm the same, although I do like some UK & American comedy/sitcoms. I find it hard not to laugh out loud during some Japanese comedy shows I've seen, especially 'Hard Gay'.

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
(#15 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

10-24-2010, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboP26 View Post
As a young person, perhaps some some opinion from the 'horse's mouth' might help. I want to live in Japan for many reasons. Now, before I begin, I make clear that not all young people will have the same reasons. But for me, the experience of living in the UK as a teen has been a frustrating one. I am easily annoyed by phone helplines, & their lack of help. I am annoyed at government schemes f***ing things up. I am annoyed by the British public. I am annoyed at the state that some residential area's are left in, & the amount of society's scum that wander about. I feel I don't fit here. My mind & personality is different from the norm here. Don't get me wrong, I will miss a number of things here, but I see too many negatives to stay after uni. Why Japan though? It's simple. I love Japan, & from what I've watched, seen, read etc., I feel I would fit well with the culture & customs. Its not all about being in 'the anime capital' or whatever. I feel it's deeper than that, & after uni, hope to make this happen
Hello Jambo-- all countries have governments and political decisions have to be made-- many that we object to-- especially these recent schemes and saving of money by the coalition govt. Universities losing out-- and students being in too much debt when they leave UNI-- and how many Unii students are unable to obtain good jobs?

From the way you talk-- you are unhappy in your present environment-- I don't know your circumstances of course-- but the whole of UK has good places to live.

Life is a struggle-- always has been always will be, No matter where you live in the end its up to the individual to make choices.

I hope that your dream of Japan will work out-- but how much do you really know about life there? what is your real ambition in life--?

The grass is always greener elsewhere-- but is it really?

Housing in this country is way too expensive-- I don' tknow about Japan but from what I have read it too is expensive.

WOuld you thinkof going as a student? seems as good a way to start and to explore and learn the realities of Japan.

we here have so many immigrants desperate to get to this country. Maybe they have fantasies about UK-- but are they true?

so much of what Nyrorin has written is so true-------------

She always talks a lot of sense.

ANyway I hope your dreams will come true but you know there are plenty of countries much worse than UK. I would not want to live elsewhere unless maybe australia.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

10-25-2010, 02:26 AM

"The grass is always greener on the other side..." Young American (and European) people don't know how well they have it. Their lives are so easy that they actually get bored with the wonderful lives they are lucky enough to have.

The lives of my students in Japan are much different than the lives of high school students elsewhere. Japanese students get to wear uniforms to school, but so what? They are not permitted to dye their hair, wear jewelry, or to offend the dress code in any way. They come to school at 8am, study until 3pm, have club activities for another two hours, and then go to juku (cram school) for another couple of hours. If they are lucky they will get home by 9:30 at night. And add the fact that many students attend school 6 or 7 days a week, and you can see that there isn't often time to spend doing anything else.

School is a tough grind to pass the university entrance exams, and even if you are lucky enough to pass these exams you will only end up qualifying to attend a sub-standard university where you won't learn anything more than it takes to be hired as an overworked and underpaid salaryman. Of the world's top 25 universities this year, none are in Japan, almost all are in America, with the remainder being in Europe.

Am I trying to burst anyone's bubble? Perhaps, but if you can't be happy where you are now, don't think that simply changing your location is going to make you feel any better. A great number of people come to Japan with high expectations and then find it to be nothing like they expected. Some do enjoy living here, while others come to hate it.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

10-25-2010, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolNard View Post
Anyways, carrying on, there are a lot of things that only Japan have, a lot of qualities that only the Japanese may exhibit. Things like technology, fashion, music, T.V. shows; a lot of these being discussed pertain to the younger generation. So, correct me if I'm wrong, but maybe it's not so much of people being naive, but what some of us see could only represent an age group in Japan. But, I'll use the term again, it's of Japan origins, nonetheless. And you know what? There's nothing wrong with going for those, because they're real enough.
One of the interesting things regarding technology though is that I find the use of technology in Japan to be way behind many western countries. Very few of my Japanese friends have a computer with internet connected at home. Of course they use their keitais for internet access but mostly only for social networking stuff. Many of the Japanese staff I've worked with have not been very computer or internet savvy at all.
Banking here seems almost like 20 years behind in terms of using technology. Finding a Japanese bank that has good internet banking systems isn't overly easy. The use of credit and debit cards is still in it's infancy. ATM's still actually close on public holidays!
Japanese offices are often still mostly paper based offices. Many of the computer systems that are used are so old that many modern applications and software can't be used on them. I've still seen many places using DOS systems and dot matrix printers! I know of quite a few large hotels in my area still using written ledgers for reservations rather than any booking software. Many businesses I have had to deal with still require you send faxes rather than email. Hardly any government agencies are interlinked. You have to duplicate changes of any details with every agency.
Anyway point is that as much as Japan is often viewed as some high tech wonderland, in reality in many parts of the country they are barely at what we were back in Australia some 15-20 years ago.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-25-2010, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
One of the interesting things regarding technology though is that I find the use of technology in Japan to be way behind many western countries. Very few of my Japanese friends have a computer with internet connected at home. Of course they use their keitais for internet access but mostly only for social networking stuff. Many of the Japanese staff I've worked with have not been very computer or internet savvy at all.
Banking here seems almost like 20 years behind in terms of using technology. Finding a Japanese bank that has good internet banking systems isn't overly easy. The use of credit and debit cards is still in it's infancy. ATM's still actually close on public holidays!
Japanese offices are often still mostly paper based offices. Many of the computer systems that are used are so old that many modern applications and software can't be used on them. I've still seen many places using DOS systems and dot matrix printers! I know of quite a few large hotels in my area still using written ledgers for reservations rather than any booking software. Many businesses I have had to deal with still require you send faxes rather than email. Hardly any government agencies are interlinked. You have to duplicate changes of any details with every agency.
Anyway point is that as much as Japan is often viewed as some high tech wonderland, in reality in many parts of the country they are barely at what we were back in Australia some 15-20 years ago.
The "Japan" you describe is very different from the one I see in Kansai. Most of the people I know (under the age of 50) have Internet. There are some that don't, but even if they don't have a computer at home, they are wired through their phones.

Credit cards in their infancy? I have been using credit cards for 20+ years in Japan. I can only remember one time I had trouble, and I think the problem was my CC company, not the store I was buying a game console at. That was in 1995, I think. Since then, no problems whatsoever.

I agree, Japan is a paper based business society, but things aren't that much better here in the US. They are getting better, here, and maybe at a faster rate. It's hard with the fax machines, because Japan was a culture where EVERYONE has a fax machine, even at home. In the US it is almost unheard of to have a fax machine at home. (20 years ago they thought we were behind the times in that respect, I bet).

You cannot pay bills, buy a meal or a can of soda using your cell phone in America. You cannot pay your bills at a convenience store here. I recently had a Japanese guest and he was surprised we didn't have a heated toilet seat.

So there are all kinds of different ways of looking at who is "ahead" and who is "behind".
(#19 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)
Yours Rightfully Insolent

Send a message via MSN to CoolNard
10-25-2010, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
So there are all kinds of different ways of looking at who is "ahead" and who is "behind".
Yup. Thanks for the information, though, GoNative and MMM. I think this thread is another great outlet for gaining information, as well. But one can't help wondering why places in Japan can be so different, especially with regards to technology - which happens to be daily usage.

There's no such thing as happy endings, for when you find true love, happiness is everlasting.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

10-25-2010, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
You cannot pay your bills at a convenience store here. I recently had a Japanese guest and he was surprised we didn't have a heated toilet seat.

Ha ha...ha? *quizzical look*

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"