JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-25-2010, 05:14 AM

Obviously rural Hokkaido, or probably anywhere rural Japan, is going to be very different to major cities like Osaka and Tokyo. I can only comment from a rural Japan perspective as I've never lived in the big citites.
The credit card comment is based on my experience here that it's very difficult to find many places, including some of the large supermarkets, that accept credit cards (beyond maybe ones they distribute themselves). Before I left Australia it had basically turned into a society where few people carried cash anymore. Pretty much all money transactions could be done by credit or debit cards. All bills could be done by internet banking (I've only just recently managed to get some of our bills here paid by internet banking). People really just didn't carry much cash anymore. Here, as you know, it's hardly unusual to see people walking around with large amounts of cash. Many employers still pay in cash (something practically unheard of in Australia these days). Overall Japan is much more of a cash based society from my experience.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-25-2010, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolNard View Post
Yup. Thanks for the information, though, GoNative and MMM. I think this thread is another great outlet for gaining information, as well. But one can't help wondering why places in Japan can be so different, especially with regards to technology - which happens to be daily usage.
I know of places in the US where they don't even have cable television, and there are certainly rural places where no one uses credit cards, so I think it is hard to talk about the countries as a whole in such sweeping terms.

In terms of other tech, like public transportation, Japan is decades ahead of the US. We have been talking about bullet trains, but now interstate train travel shares lines with freight trains, and where in Japan schedules are reliable down to the minute, delays are common on American interstate trains, sometimes hours late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
Obviously rural Hokkaido, or probably anywhere rural Japan, is going to be very different to major cities like Osaka and Tokyo. I can only comment from a rural Japan perspective as I've never lived in the big citites.
The credit card comment is based on my experience here that it's very difficult to find many places, including some of the large supermarkets, that accept credit cards (beyond maybe ones they distribute themselves). Before I left Australia it had basically turned into a society where few people carried cash anymore. Pretty much all money transactions could be done by credit or debit cards. All bills could be done by internet banking (I've only just recently managed to get some of our bills here paid by internet banking). People really just didn't carry much cash anymore. Here, as you know, it's hardly unusual to see people walking around with large amounts of cash. Many employers still pay in cash (something practically unheard of in Australia these days). Overall Japan is much more of a cash based society from my experience.
Japan is surely a cash-based culture. People in Japan confidently walk around with the equivalent of thousands of US dollars, where I feel most Americans are nervous walking around with more than a couple hundred dollars. (I rarely take out more than 40 or 60 dollars from the ATM.)

This is an issue of the technology reflecting society, and isn't necessarily "behind".
(#23 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)
Yours Rightfully Insolent

Send a message via MSN to CoolNard
10-25-2010, 05:45 AM

I didn't think it would be sweeping, since I'd thought technology was basic necessity these days. I'm sure there are pros and cons of that, I've seen Japan's country side on T.V. and it's a panoramic wonder of nature.

Public transportation is a sure point. They have renowned facilities, even for some of those very foreign to Japan.

There's no such thing as happy endings, for when you find true love, happiness is everlasting.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
HikoSeijuro (Offline)
New to JF

10-25-2010, 05:49 AM

A) "ACTUALLY-- reading the above makes me wonder of the attraction for youngsters for Japan."

B) "So much through the ANIME and manga..."

C) "I cannot walk well-- so uncertain if I could sightsee as I would like to."

Hi everyone; This is my first post on Japan Forum.com! I'm still trying to understand this site (and the rules) so hopefully I don't offend too many.

A & B) What attracted me was the combination of having an asian roommate (Chinese) which introduced me to the Eastern culture and anime (Cartoon Network initially) which led me to going to college for a degree in computer animation.

I really enjoy the collectivistic society concept where even if people dislike you they won't tell you to your face. (Hey..hate me all you want baby but at least lie to me..THAT I can deal with.)

In the end, an indiviualistic society like the United States is good because you know where you stand but sometimes it becomes cumbersome shouldering people's negative energy that they carry (and love to unload).
I can also see the positive/negative aspects of a collectivistic society where people keep their negative feelings inside mostly but you never know quite how someone feels.

I'm going to Osaka, Japan in 65 days (not that i'm counting...) so I'll see first hand how much my talk actually walks.

C) Hope you can figure out a system that will allow you to go!

- Hiko

Life is a marathon; not a 40 yard dash.

A superior psychology, mastery of self, and a clean arse are the keys to happiness.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-25-2010, 06:00 AM

If you allow me to be so cocky to say this, I think MMM and GoNative both have a point. It's just different parts of an elephant imo. But...

In my experience, English speaking people who openly say Japan is backward or behind are always Antipoders. I don't think they mean ill, it's probably just how they simply felt, but people from other parts of the world usually think twice before saying that.

Internet, for example, is much faster in Japan than any other countries in the world and although the advent of i-phone turned the table, i-mode had been the most advanced mobile technology for a decade. It's just what you are used to and how you look at things. I've seen an Aussie lady on the web who was saying that Japan was backward because their houses didn't even have ovens. Well, yeah, Japanese are not really into ovens, but they are really into rice and knifes and all other things that SHE can't care less.

I like to-the-point people more than politically-correct-but-sneaky people though. It was really cool talking to her. It's just that kind of attitude can be prone to misunderstandings in an international setting.

Last edited by cranks : 10-25-2010 at 06:15 AM.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

10-25-2010, 06:18 AM

As I say I live in a little town in Hokkaido. Most peoples experiences of Japan, including the foreigners who live here for a time, are from the big cities which I'm certain are very different to up here. It's not referred to inaka island for nothing!
(#27 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-25-2010, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikoSeijuro View Post
I really enjoy the collectivistic society concept where even if people dislike you they won't tell you to your face. (Hey..hate me all you want baby but at least lie to me..THAT I can deal with.)

In the end, an indiviualistic society like the United States is good because you know where you stand but sometimes it becomes cumbersome shouldering people's negative energy that they carry (and love to unload).
I can also see the positive/negative aspects of a collectivistic society where people keep their negative feelings inside mostly but you never know quite how someone feels.
I think you are missing the point. The reason people are not overt in their opinions is because, for the most part, they don't have to be. You should be able to read what they are thinking without them saying it overtly. This is part of the art of communication in Japan. You must be a more ACTIVE LISTENER than you have to be in the West.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-25-2010, 06:27 AM

As for why people are attracted to Japan, Why not? You've never asked me why I speak English, Dogsbody Many Japanese people ask me why I'm in the states and what the attraction is. I guess I can make just as much money in Japan, but it's just more... um.. interesting here?

Some people want to go far, as far as they can go, to experience different cultures. I explored out of my own culture and now I'm talking to you in a language that is not my own. I think it's fascinating.

Last edited by cranks : 10-25-2010 at 06:57 AM.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-25-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
As I say I live in a little town in Hokkaido. Most peoples experiences of Japan, including the foreigners who live here for a time, are from the big cities which I'm certain are very different to up here. It's not referred to inaka island for nothing!
Yeah, Hokkaido can be the Australia of Japan. Or Colorado. The best part anyway.
The snow in Colorado is not damp like the one you guys have though :P
(#30 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

10-25-2010, 07:07 AM

haha Hokkaido has some of the direst snow on the planet delivered directly from Siberia!