JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
tohruchan7 (Offline)
ur so cute no matter what

10-25-2010, 07:09 PM

for my view w/ japan its because it seems to hav both the people of modern day japan and from the past all living together in its super bright and colorful world. and *drools* amazing clothes!!
(#42 (permalink))
Old
HikoSeijuro (Offline)
New to JF

10-26-2010, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I think you are missing the point. The reason people are not overt in their opinions is because, for the most part, they don't have to be. You should be able to read what they are thinking without them saying it overtly. This is part of the art of communication in Japan. You must be a more ACTIVE LISTENER than you have to be in the West.
I was being a little facetious but the active listener point is not landing on deaf ears. I will take it to heart and feel it definitly will present a challenge to correctly infer the type of communication being sent back.

Thanks for the reply as I will try to bear this fact in mind at all times when I travel to Japan.

Life is a marathon; not a 40 yard dash.

A superior psychology, mastery of self, and a clean arse are the keys to happiness.
(#43 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Red face 10-28-2010, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
haha Hokkaido has some of the direst snow on the planet delivered directly from Siberia!
It' the quality, not just the quantity, that matters you know, we have the most powdery snow in the world

Wait, why I'm I defending Colorado Actually, so far, the best places I've been are in Swiss/French Alps to be honest. They were huge and snow was incredible. Colorado resorts are a bit small but snow is even better. I've been to a tiny Italian local resort and their food was SUPREME. Whistler places high on the fun factor but the snow was damp. I heard Bunff is better in terms of snow, but I've never been there. I've never been to Hokkaido either. I still have a lot of places to go I guess
(#44 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-28-2010, 04:37 AM

cranks I've met heaps of Americans holidaying here from Colorado, Utah and numerous other mountain states in the US. I've personally spent a whole winter in Canada in one of the snowiest regions of BC working for a heli-ski company and I can assure you that from others observations and my own experiences of skiing overseas it's pretty hard to beat Hokkaido in terms of consistently good powder snow. Sure occassionaly Colorado or Utah may get slightly drier snow than here but we're only talking about at resorts with nose bleed altitudes like 3000m+. Here you can enjoy similar quality at altitudes of less than 1000m. I could go on and on about why the snow quality here is so good in terms of the average temperatures and the predominant type of snowflakes that fall but trust me, as someone whose greatest passion in life is skiing followed closely by meteorology (my major at university), you'd be hard pressed to find better average quality and quantity snow anywhere in the world than what can be found here in Hokkaido. It's truly an awesome place. And don't just believe all those American resorts claiming to have the best or most snow. Remember most Americans wouldn't even know that Japan has ski resorts!
(#45 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-28-2010, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
cranks I've met heaps of Americans holidaying here from Colorado, Utah and numerous other mountain states in the US. I've personally spent a whole winter in Canada in one of the snowiest regions of BC working for a heli-ski company and I can assure you that from others observations and my own experiences of skiing overseas it's pretty hard to beat Hokkaido in terms of consistently good powder snow. Sure occassionaly Colorado or Utah may get slightly drier snow than here but we're only talking about at resorts with nose bleed altitudes like 3000m+. Here you can enjoy similar quality at altitudes of less than 1000m. I could go on and on about why the snow quality here is so good in terms of the average temperatures and the predominant type of snowflakes that fall but trust me, as someone whose greatest passion in life is skiing followed closely by meteorology (my major at university), you'd be hard pressed to find better average quality and quantity snow anywhere in the world than what can be found here in Hokkaido. It's truly an awesome place. And don't just believe all those American resorts claiming to have the best or most snow. Remember most Americans wouldn't even know that Japan has ski resorts!
Well, I'll be suffocated with too much oxygen if I go anything below 1500m. I thought snow sports are reserved to where no trees grow, i.e. 3000m+

Actually, I have a Japanese friend who goes to Hokkaido every year and yeah to tell the truth, it sounds like a great place. He loved Colorado though. Of course, I took him to the best of the best places. We are going to Whistler this winter. We'll see how he'll like there. I liked that place, they have pretty exciting setup though the snow was pretty disappointing a couple of times I was there. I'm actually more into downhill mountain biking and Whistler is like the mecca of that so I've been there several times, summer and winter. You Aussies have some of the greatest downhill mountain bikers in the world. Unfortunately Japanese mountain biking scene, especially Downhill, isn't very active I heard... Anyway, it sounds like I can have fun in Japan, if I go back I just need to find a job that gives me enough time off so I can screw around, but oh well. I'll find something.

Last edited by cranks : 10-28-2010 at 05:24 AM.
(#46 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

10-28-2010, 07:24 AM

Well with good english and Japanese skills you'd likely find a position here in Niseko without too many problems. Good sized expat community with quite a few Americans around so you sort of get the best of both worlds. Pay here isn't huge generally but cost of living in Hokkaido is pretty cheap. Beautiful place to live as long as you don't mind being somewhat snowbound for over 5 months of the year.
(#47 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
10-28-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
Hello Jambo-- all countries have governments and political decisions have to be made-- many that we object to-- especially these recent schemes and saving of money by the coalition govt. Universities losing out-- and students being in too much debt when they leave UNI-- and how many Unii students are unable to obtain good jobs?

From the way you talk-- you are unhappy in your present environment-- I don't know your circumstances of course-- but the whole of UK has good places to live.

Life is a struggle-- always has been always will be, No matter where you live in the end its up to the individual to make choices.

I hope that your dream of Japan will work out-- but how much do you really know about life there? what is your real ambition in life--?

The grass is always greener elsewhere-- but is it really?

Housing in this country is way too expensive-- I don' tknow about Japan but from what I have read it too is expensive.

WOuld you thinkof going as a student? seems as good a way to start and to explore and learn the realities of Japan.

we here have so many immigrants desperate to get to this country. Maybe they have fantasies about UK-- but are they true?

so much of what Nyrorin has written is so true-------------

She always talks a lot of sense.

ANyway I hope your dreams will come true but you know there are plenty of countries much worse than UK. I would not want to live elsewhere unless maybe australia.
Hi dogsbody,

It may just be I've had a lot of unfortunate experiences so far, and I see that the UK has some brilliant spots to live in, but Japan just seems to attract me more. I've seen loads of documentatries and read loads on the internet about Japan, and everything I've read doesn't bother me. You could throw negatives about Japan at me, and I wouldn't change my mind.

I'm planning to go after I finish university in 2013. By then, I should have a degree in some aspect of IT, and I'll be looking around at the N2 Japanese Proficiency Test. I am deadly serious about making this work. If I go, and it doesn't work, at least I've given it a shot. As one of my favourite video games says, "Risk = Reward". lol

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
(#48 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

10-28-2010, 10:16 AM

good luck to those who fulfil their dreams and ambitions to go to Japan.

After all: If you don't try you would always regret. So especially when young and free of any ties-- Give it a go.

even moving to a new part of ones own country can be illuminating.

You have to do it to Know what it feels like. Be prepared for all eventualities.

We all can visit places-- doesn't mean we have to live in them unless we want to.

Have fun.

PS: Have any of you read the book by Peter Carey-- about the time he took his son to Japan especially to meet the animators of anime etc.

Amazon.com: Wrong About Japan: A Father's Journey with His Son (9781400043118): Peter Carey: Books: Reviews, Prices & more

I think some of you would enjoy and possibly learn a little more. I managed to get it from my library-- definitely recommend it to Manga/ anime fans.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 10-28-2010 at 10:22 AM.
(#49 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

10-28-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
good luck to those who fulfil their dreams and ambitions to go to Japan.

After all: If you don't try you would always regret. So especially when young and free of any ties-- Give it a go.

even moving to a new part of ones own country can be illuminating.

You have to do it to Know what it feels like. Be prepared for all eventualities.

We all can visit places-- doesn't mean we have to live in them unless we want to.

Have fun.

PS: Have any of you read the book by Peter Carey-- about the time he took his son to Japan especially to meet the animators of anime etc.

Amazon.com: Wrong About Japan: A Father's Journey with His Son (9781400043118): Peter Carey: Books: Reviews, Prices & more

I think some of you would enjoy and possibly learn a little more. I managed to get it from my library-- definitely recommend it to Manga/ anime fans.
PPS: I see the reviews are not good, nonetheless I believe some people would be interested. worth borrowing from a library at least for those interested in ANIME/Manga.
(#50 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
10-28-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
PPS: I see the reviews are not good, nonetheless I believe some people would be interested. worth borrowing from a library at least for those interested in ANIME/Manga.
I might check that out. Thanks, dogsbody

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)