JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#51 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

10-28-2010, 04:34 PM

To be honest, I'm attracted by the ambiance of the setting... which is subsequently contributed by the culture and people thereof. I somewhat yearn to taste the aroma of authentic, hand-cooked ramen, sitting in some old restaurant humbly located in a shabby alleyway, sheltering a small group of friendly people, on a rainy day... [lol]. I had a brief chance to visit Japan before I could develop many delusions or misconceptions -- though I wouldn't be confident enough say I had none. There's definitely many aspects to any one country, and I certainly didn't get to explore all of them during my stay in Japan.

Some people seem to have a remarkably inaccurate view of the country, but with those people, generally, I would assume it wasn't an issue exclusive only to Japan; perhaps to various other facets of life, as well. To me, it is, to a degree, relative to a psychological matter -- not to imply one that is untypical, because I know I'm easily prone to it myself. A lack of maturity?
(#52 (permalink))
Old
HikoSeijuro (Offline)
New to JF

10-29-2010, 04:32 AM

Seems there are some real "elitists" here that are judging who is fit to go to Japan and who is not.

Some of these "elitists" haven't even been to Japan yet!

Get over yourselves. If someone is interested in the culture then the best way that they can get a real dose of the culture and get rid of any "delusions" is to let them experience it first hand.

They might love it, feel so-so about it, or hate it but the question I believe was what attracts young people (young btw? My 82 year old grandpa calls 50 year olds "kids" so young is relative.) It wasn't who is acceptable to go to a new country and experience the culture and who cannot because anonymous people online in a Japanese forum deemed you a "poser".

Life is a marathon; not a 40 yard dash.

A superior psychology, mastery of self, and a clean arse are the keys to happiness.
(#53 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
10-29-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikoSeijuro View Post
Seems there are some real "elitists" here that are judging who is fit to go to Japan and who is not.

Some of these "elitists" haven't even been to Japan yet!

Get over yourselves. If someone is interested in the culture then the best way that they can get a real dose of the culture and get rid of any "delusions" is to let them experience it first hand.

They might love it, feel so-so about it, or hate it but the question I believe was what attracts young people (young btw? My 82 year old grandpa calls 50 year olds "kids" so young is relative.) It wasn't who is acceptable to go to a new country and experience the culture and who cannot because anonymous people online in a Japanese forum deemed you a "poser".

Well said, HikoSeijuro

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
(#54 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
10-29-2010, 08:23 AM

Judging who is fit or discouraging anyone from going to Japan? I don`t think that is what anyone intended.

Visiting a country to experience it is the best way to dispel any misconceptions. The thing is, there are a LOT of people who don`t want to visit Japan. They want to LIVE there. This is where the judgement and discouragement comes into play.

I would not consider someone fit to decide to MOVE to another country if they have never even so much as visited it. I will actively continue to discourage people from making that huge life decision without so much as taking the simple first step of visiting the country first.

If someone has been in Japan for a significant amount of time to actually know what life would be like (as in more than a few weeks of tourism...), then there is no reason to say anything if they decide they want to move to Japan.

I would do the same for anyone who is saying that they would do anything to move to some foreign place they have had little or no real exposure to. It doesn`t matter whether I`ve been to that country or not. If someone tells me that they want to move to, say, Paris or Rome - my first reaction would be to ask if they`ve ever been there and if they`ve experienced real life there (not tourism). If they have not, I would strongly discourage them from trying to move - instead suggesting shorter term stays.

There is nothing elitist about it. It`s common sense, in my opinion.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#55 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-29-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Judging who is fit or discouraging anyone from going to Japan? I don`t think that is what anyone intended.

Visiting a country to experience it is the best way to dispel any misconceptions. The thing is, there are a LOT of people who don`t want to visit Japan. They want to LIVE there. This is where the judgement and discouragement comes into play.

I would not consider someone fit to decide to MOVE to another country if they have never even so much as visited it. I will actively continue to discourage people from making that huge life decision without so much as taking the simple first step of visiting the country first.

If someone has been in Japan for a significant amount of time to actually know what life would be like (as in more than a few weeks of tourism...), then there is no reason to say anything if they decide they want to move to Japan.

I would do the same for anyone who is saying that they would do anything to move to some foreign place they have had little or no real exposure to. It doesn`t matter whether I`ve been to that country or not. If someone tells me that they want to move to, say, Paris or Rome - my first reaction would be to ask if they`ve ever been there and if they`ve experienced real life there (not tourism). If they have not, I would strongly discourage them from trying to move - instead suggesting shorter term stays.

There is nothing elitist about it. It`s common sense, in my opinion.

I have to echo nyrorin's message. Its a case of needing to spend some time in the country before making life changing decisions to Move there without having some experience of practical every day life in any country.

So many have posted here that they love anime and manga and they want to move to Japan.

Sample the place first is the best way surely before literally Moving IN permanently.

sorry if the question appears to be elitist--Really its about practicalities.
(#56 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

10-29-2010, 11:21 AM

The general vibe I'm getting off these forums, is people basically implying "Oh, Japan is a metropolice of hard, working people. Anyone trying to get in will fail. Don't bother trying. Here's the truth.... bla, bla, bla......". Now, I'm NOT saying everybody says that, but it just the feeling I get. I understand that some people need a reality check, but come on. I think if people go, and it turns out to be the worst experience ever, at least they'll then know. But for me, I will enjoy it, or find multiple elements I enjoy. Or else I've wasted my whole teenage life (and I'm 20 now). lol

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
(#57 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-29-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydelart View Post
To be honest, I'm attracted by the ambiance of the setting... which is subsequently contributed by the culture and people thereof. I somewhat yearn to taste the aroma of authentic, hand-cooked ramen, sitting in some old restaurant humbly located in a shabby alleyway, sheltering a small group of friendly people, on a rainy day... [lol].
*laughs* That's it! You kind of want to go to soak up the atmosphere and get inspired. It's like visiting France, whenever I'm in the middle of planning to go it's always one scene rattling around in my head a tiny town; the cafe tables out in the square in the early morning, drinking chocolat chaud and eating fresh croissant from the boulangerie, watching the stray cats slink out into the sunlight to bathe and old boys playing petanque.

Maybe we're just modern dumb romantics?
(#58 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

Lightbulb 10-29-2010, 12:37 PM

These kinds of topics make me rage, so I'm just going to third Nyororin and Dogsbody's opinion before I say something that gets me banned, cause that's no bueno.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#59 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

10-29-2010, 01:23 PM

I understand visiting is better first, to experience the country, but what about if you were to say, move cities in your own country. Do you have to visit the city first to see if you like it? And what if you can't afford to visit? You go, you like it, you want to live there, but can't afford to go back again. Loads of hypothetical scenario's can occur. I agree it is wrong to want to live there purely because of Anime and Manga. If anything, it is the other way round for me. Most people are drawn to Japan because of these. Whereas, I was drawn to these because of Japan.

(#60 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-29-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboP26 View Post
I understand visiting is better first, to experience the country, but what about if you were to say, move cities in your own country. Do you have to visit the city first to see if you like it? And what if you can't afford to visit? You go, you like it, you want to live there, but can't afford to go back again. Loads of hypothetical scenario's can occur. I agree it is wrong to want to live there purely because of Anime and Manga. If anything, it is the other way round for me. Most people are drawn to Japan because of these. Whereas, I was drawn to these because of Japan.
I actually fully agree with you on this. It is better generally to visit a country before moving, but for some people it's just not practical or possible. I disagree with some of the other members so far who have said that one really must visit before living, because although it is admitedly a better option it isn't always for the best.

In regards to Japan in specific it's a very expensive country to visit! I know that most people I know would be using up all their savings to go for simply a holiday, and if they loved it and adored it then going back to live would then take at least an extra year or two to save back up again, and in the meantime they would then have to get a job, find a place to live in their own country, and the commitments and responsibilities as you try and save to go back just pile up, making it harder to leave as you've - by then - settled down where you are :P It's a lot easier to go straight from univerisity to Japan to live, and no it might not be the best option, but the visas don't last forever and neither do job contracts, if - at the end of a year - you did hate it then you could always go back home. Just because you move somewhere doesn't mean you have to live there forever.