JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#61 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-29-2010, 02:19 PM

nobody is saying anyone should not go to Japan or anywhere else for that matter.

I seem to have upset some of you with the question?

Maybe wings woul dlike to tell us why and how his love of Japan became a reality now that he is staying there.

Is he a student. just how easy is it to actually Move there permanently?

Many seem to go via the Jet programme. If that is a way to get to know the country that seems a start doesn't it.

Those who still live there after the initial Longing-- Is it the place you dreamed about.

why do you stay there? Is it the People-- because in the end it is PEOPLE who make a place.

some here have complained about their own hometown-- everything wrong with UK-- so they dream about living in Japan.

Yet how many also dream about going to UK or other countries that may prove to be a shangrila, UK is no shangrila yet constantly people from other countries are desperate to live here.

Surely one needs to travel and experience life in different places.

I say good luck to all those who long to live in Japan-- but surely not because they love the ANIME and Manga.

shouldn't anyone ask questions about motives? what is so wrong with asking WHY?

I was brought up in the care system and never had a choice of where I lived

I had no family to turn to at all.

Many children from UK were migrated abroad to places such as Australia, Rhodesia Canada etc. They had no choice whatsoever.

some of the children were only three years of age.

many had awful time with nobody to care about them at all.

Anyway if I have upset some of you I apologise-- but sometimes one needs to think about why?

If it only makes a person think seriously of their motives surely that is a good thing.

good luck to all of you.
(#62 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
10-29-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
I actually fully agree with you on this. It is better generally to visit a country before moving, but for some people it's just not practical or possible. I disagree with some of the other members so far who have said that one really must visit before living, because although it is admitedly a better option it isn't always for the best.

In regards to Japan in specific it's a very expensive country to visit! I know that most people I know would be using up all their savings to go for simply a holiday, and if they loved it and adored it then going back to live would then take at least an extra year or two to save back up again, and in the meantime they would then have to get a job, find a place to live in their own country, and the commitments and responsibilities as you try and save to go back just pile up, making it harder to leave as you've - by then - settled down where you are :P It's a lot easier to go straight from univerisity to Japan to live, and no it might not be the best option, but the visas don't last forever and neither do job contracts, if - at the end of a year - you did hate it then you could always go back home. Just because you move somewhere doesn't mean you have to live there forever.
Thanks for agreeing, RobinMask. I do see the point in visiting first, but as I said, and you put into beter words, sometimes it's just now possible. I'm planning to go after I've finished university. While at university, I'm hoping to rent out student accomodation. When I'm not living there, I'll be at home with my mum, where I am now. It would make more sense to jump straight in with both feet, as it's sort of a new start. A clean slate, so to speak. I have chosen to study IT, which is an area of employment expecting a boom in jobs in the next 3-7 years, so employment shouldn't be too much of an issue, as long as I pass the N2 Proficiency Test. lol. Most people, however, don't have a certain area of expertise, if you will. So what employment are they going to get? It is a difficult topic, in which areas you'll agree, yet others you'll disagree. If well planned out, living in Japan can work. If not, I reckon a lot of people are in for a tough time. I'm hoping, fingers and toes crossed, that it works out for me. It will mean my daydreaming of certain things, will not be wasted.

(PS. Don't know where I was going with that. Just my own feelings to the subject )

EDIT: It was raining and windy this morning in Scotland. I said "Even the country's weather is s****". I think it's starting to get to me. lol

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)

Last edited by JamboP26 : 10-29-2010 at 02:29 PM.
(#63 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

10-29-2010, 02:49 PM

Dreams

* You see things and say, 'Why?", but I dream things and say, 'Why not?
George Bernard Shaw
(#64 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

10-29-2010, 03:12 PM

I would just like to point out that I do not find travelling in Japan to be all that expensive at all. You think Japan is expensive? Then I wouldn't advise going to Australia anytime soon. I reckon Japan is cheap as chips compared to there. You can travel throughout Japan very cheaply if you want to and know how.

I'd also suggest that people should look at travelling to many places before deciding on a place to live, assuming that is you want to leave your own country. I travelled close to 15 other countries before finding my home here in Japan. One of the greatest benefits of my move to Japan was that everything is so cheap here. The big purchases in life like house and cars are just so much cheaper than in Australia. Sure I don't live in Tokyo (thank god!) which is more expensive than where I am but even Tokyo now isn't that expensive when compared to other major cities in the world. Remember Japan's economy has been deflating for most of the last 15 years. It may well have been expensive once, I don't consider it still is.
(#65 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
10-29-2010, 11:36 PM

A year studying or working in a country is an extended visit. Long enough that it`s definitely better to have had a visit under your belt before committing to, but I do agree that if it`s only a year or so you can just go home at the end.

But that`s not really what I`m talking about when I refer to people who want to move to / live in Japan. There are plenty of people who want to work in / study in Japan for totally valid reasons. There is a huge difference from the type that confuse me, as there is a plan of sorts involving (at the very least) work or study - things that can lead to a legal stay in Japan. That`s fine. That`s a great way to experience the world.

When I talk about people who need to visit Japan before deciding to move there, I`m talking mostly about the nearly constant stream of users who want to find a way to live in Japan - ANY way - without going through the normal processes for immigration. Those who say they hate their home country and want to live in Japan forever, even if they have to live in a box on the street or hide from immigration doing under-the-table illegal work to survive. Or those who say they just want to move to Japan and will not accept anyone telling them that you will need a visa.

I find it absolutely stunning how many people seem to just think you can up and move to another country. That it`s along the lines of moving to another city.

It isn`t. You can`t just move. There are a lot of hoops you have to go through, a lot of red tape, a lot of requirements that have to be filled.

If you`re going to base your entire life around the expectation of moving to some other country ASAP - at the very least visit the place once... If you don`t and find that it isn`t what you expected, you`re not going to have much of a life to fall back on afterward.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#66 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-30-2010, 02:07 AM

It's funny, the EXACT same debates are often seen on Japanese forums for English learners.

I say, what's wrong with going to America just because you like Nirvana or Greenday or Jimi Hendrix? Yeah, some people aren't up to living in a foreign country. They may get disillusioned. But still, if they "tried" and "made effort" and at least got into the country and lived the dream, that's a million times better than not doing anything. I lived in the UK for 5 years and while I respect the culture and I often bash Japanese people who say bad things about her (what do they know?), it wasn't a place for me. But regardless, I think the time I spent there was invaluable.

Last edited by cranks : 10-30-2010 at 02:11 AM.
(#67 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

10-30-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I find it absolutely stunning how many people seem to just think you can up and move to another country. That it`s along the lines of moving to another city.

It isn`t. You can`t just move. There are a lot of hoops you have to go through, a lot of red tape, a lot of requirements that have to be filled.
This is so true. There seems to be an incredible amount of naivete by some of the younger peolple out there about what it takes to be able to live in another country. You can't just rock up at the airport with bright eyed wonder and tell immigration you love Japan and they'll be happy to let you stay!
(#68 (permalink))
Old
simpsonka18 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to simpsonka18 Send a message via Skype™ to simpsonka18
10-30-2010, 02:54 PM

Sorry for buttin in, but I'd like to show you my point of view.
I never liked Japan before, I wasn't interested in its culture either. It was like I knew of its existence, but It didn't attract me. Many people say that liking Japan because of dramas and animes is stupid, but for me, it was a way to get to know Japan closer. That's why i really appreciate them.
Of course, its my big dream to visit Japan someday, but I don't think that 'oh, I'm so excited, I'll move to Japan and finally see japanese life- like in dramas!'.
Not everyone thinks like that. For me, moving to another country is a very big deal and I'm aware of its consequences. I'm learning Japanese now, I live in a small town so I don't have a tutor, but I believe that when I'll go to university I'll find one. I read a lot about japanese culture and life there, and there are many nice blogs about it. Thus, having nly 15 yrs, I can know Japan little by little. I know that my fascination with this country can fade away someday, so I'll try hard not to let this happen.
btw-sorry for my english, i'm still learnin ;o
(#69 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

10-31-2010, 12:27 AM

Pretty good for "just learning"

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#70 (permalink))
Old
Saradus (Offline)
JF Regular

10-31-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboP26 View Post
As a young person, perhaps some some opinion from the 'horse's mouth' might help. I want to live in Japan for many reasons. Now, before I begin, I make clear that not all young people will have the same reasons. But for me, the experience of living in the UK as a teen has been a frustrating one. I am easily annoyed by phone helplines, & their lack of help. I am annoyed at government schemes f***ing things up. I am annoyed by the British public. I am annoyed at the state that some residential area's are left in, & the amount of society's scum that wander about. I feel I don't fit here. My mind & personality is different from the norm here. Don't get me wrong, I will miss a number of things here, but I see too many negatives to stay after uni. Why Japan though? It's simple. I love Japan, & from what I've watched, seen, read etc., I feel I would fit well with the culture & customs. Its not all about being in 'the anime capital' or whatever. I feel it's deeper than that, & after uni, hope to make this happen
As another young adult from the UK I can totally relate with you on that. There's something inherently different about Asian culture and personality (and not just Japan, but Asia in general). I had this discussion with a few of my Asian friends when I went to China this summer. In Asia we've noticed people to be more friendly, generous, mindful of others and well-behaved. In the West everything seems to center around oneself. People tend to be selfish, bitchy (which we noticed even more with the Western friends who came with us to China when we could clearly see the contrast) and bratty.

You only need to compare an Asian classroom to a British classroom to see what I mean. Asian classrooms are generally full of attentive kids who at worst would be asleep, while Western classrooms it wouldn't be unusual to see a teacher crying and having a breakdown at least once in the year because the students are tormenting them.

Also simple differences in culture reflect this. In the UK, evening entertainment is getting absolutely paralytically drunk for 90% of students. In Asia, while drinking does form a part of fun, there's tons of other stuff they do too. We have a seriously strong drinking culture and it results in many of us having a very boorish attitude. The shouting, angry, drunk who will happily beat up a woman is not an uncommon sight; particularly in university towns (actually I have a whole house of them next door to me). Time I've spent in Asia has helped me to get away from all that. It was really relaxing for the soul (sounds cheesy but it's true).

And Jambo I'm sure you can agree with me on this one word that makes UK life and reputation a dreadful state....."Chavs". Enough said really!

I realise there's always going to be exceptions to these rules, but my comments are on overall differences in culture, personality and attitude.

As for why I'm interested in Japan? Well it just happened to be the first Asian country I started reading about. In this respect, I haven't just limited myself to Japan saying that I absolutely will move there. Instead I keep my options open and until I've fully explored most of the Asian countries, I don't intend to make a decision about where I'd want to move. But it does help Japan's case that Japanese is my strongest Asian language and that I have a few (some wealthy) contacts as well as family members (married in, not blood) that could help make a transition easier. Not to mention my uncle lived there for a few years so I have someone close that can give his two cents and advise me on the ins and outs.

Last edited by Saradus : 10-31-2010 at 01:26 PM.