JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#71 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
10-31-2010, 05:51 PM

@Saradus - Thanks for agreeing Yeah, I've not really studied it in depth, but I figured Asian people seem more 'civilised' than British people. Chavs (or Neds, as they're called in Scotland) are an absolute nightmare.

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
(#72 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-31-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Or those who say they just want to move to Japan and will not accept anyone telling them that you will need a visa.
Probably the best example of that was this one:
"No, i don't need a visa, I'm American! I know because I went to Hawaii and they just put a stamp in my passport at the boarder. Japan must be the same!"

*laughs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranks View Post
I lived in the UK for 5 years and while I respect the culture and I often bash Japanese people who say bad things about her (what do they know?), it wasn't a place for me. But regardless, I think the time I spent there was invaluable.
Hmm, that's pretty interesting. What sort of views of the UK have you come across?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saradus View Post
In Asia we've noticed people to be more friendly, generous, mindful of others and well-behaved.
excepting the hostile, crowd-barging cheats who spit in the street everywhere and hassle people? I met some lovely people in asia; I also met some really, staggeringly rude people. I could say the exact same about the UK.

Quote:
You only need to compare an Asian classroom to a British classroom to see what I mean. Asian classrooms are generally full of attentive kids who at worst would be asleep, while Western classrooms it wouldn't be unusual to see a teacher crying and having a breakdown at least once in the year because the students are tormenting them.
Possibly because in some countries, misbehaving students get smacked (by teachers or parents when they get home). Or attend school as a privilege, not a right. And there are some run-down schools where the students are just as bad, or worse than in the UK. I'm not saying you're wrong or don't have a point or anything, but just...sweeping generalizations? There's parts of a country visitors don't get exposed to.
(#73 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-31-2010, 10:40 PM

doesn't it boil down to people are just people wherever you go.

Here in UK no two towns are identical. A lot does depend where you live of course. In High rise flats or nice bungalow on estates-- in big cities or small ones. In the country which is different from towns or cities.

Certain areas gain certain reputations.

We have neighbours from hell- or wonderful neighbours. we cannot tar everybody with the same brush. So much depends on individual circumstances.

The Old testament tells us SPare the Rod, Spoil the child. I believe we are all wild animals when we are born and we have to quickly learn our boundaries.

We need discipline-- all of us do------ we have to obey certain rules.

Since parents have been told they must never smack their child-- and schools are not allowed to really discipline children-- where do we go? does anyone watch "SUPER NANNY"?

my goodness when I see the way some of those children behave-- they are often out of control-- why? because of very poor parenting-- parents who give in to a child every time it has a tantrum. can ruin that child for good. children need guidance and to know their own boundaries. Super Nanny uses the "Naughty Step" to teach a child it will have to stay there until they say sorry and realise what they have done wrong.

Drugs are a problem here. Alcohol is too easily available--

Times have definitely changed here----not always for the good either.

I believe children need to learn respect and to be encourraged in good positive ways when they are young so they have good self esteem and not feel the need to go out vandalising or even killing as happens now. So many things Have changed without a doubt. I often wonder what country I am living in now. But there are plenty of wonderful things about our country. I love England very much indeed. Its just the crazy laws that caused so many of the troubles and of course especially housing. we are a very small country, we are having to learn to assimilate people from around the world. They in their way also mean change to our cultures.

I am a war child and we jolly well appreciated every little thing we had.

Perhaps some psychologists could tell us how to put things right because we are in amess.But not everything is bad at all.

On the whole most people are decent people if they get a good start in life and love and a feeling of self worth.

It seems to me that the more we have the more we want. Never satisfied.

We should not generalise-- thinking all the people in one country are better than those in another countries.

Its not so.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 10-31-2010 at 10:47 PM.
(#74 (permalink))
Old
Saradus (Offline)
JF Regular

10-31-2010, 10:54 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to encapsulate an entire population into one description. However, from all the people I've met in this country, and all the people I've met in other countries; these are the overall personalities and attitudes I have formed.

Bear in mind, I am also referring solely to my generation. So my opinions aren't of the older generation, only people my age (early 20s) and younger. On the contrary, I feel that the young generation in Asia have precisely the qualities that our western older generation have and that our younger generation has lost. Discipline and respect.

My opinions aren't restricted to just one town either. This is country-wide experience. I've lived in small remote villages, large cities, council estates, cul-de-sacs and student towns. Everywhere I go, respectful youth are a rarity. Sure they exist, but they're in the minority these days...
(#75 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-01-2010, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
Hmm, that's pretty interesting. What sort of views of the UK have you come across?
When I think about it, there weren't many occasions where they specifically targeted British. It's usually more about the westerners and Anglo Saxons.

One thing I remember though is some people particularly mentioned Britain and said British were anti-Japanese in several occasions , and they usually had a pretty critical and sometimes one sided British newspaper article to back it up. My response was that British media criticize everyone and everything, not just Japanese.

I see 10 times more complaints about the culinary art but most of the time it's more of a jest.

Last edited by cranks : 11-01-2010 at 12:43 AM.
(#76 (permalink))
Old
HikoSeijuro (Offline)
New to JF

11-01-2010, 12:39 AM

Most people can barely run their own lives but have no problem helping to try to run yours.

Think how many people came to the United States without ever visiting first.

I do think it's great though that some people take the time and effort to really explain to someone who hasn't lived in another country (or visited) the possible negative and positive aspects of the culture.

If someone likes Japan for ANY reason and you don't agree with that reason..GET OVER IT! I like anime and that is the ONLY reason I like Japan .. I don't even like their cute little girls, those wooden things they eat with, or the temples were bubbuh is. I hope that last sentence really made some of you grind your little elitist teeths together. (heh....)

Point is: Their life is not your life to judge, to agree with, or to condemn.

We all live life differently. Our paths are different and that's good!
If we were all the same then what fun would that be.

Lastly a ponderous moment:
How many times have you given advice to someone who was passionate about something and the person said "OH ... you're right .. i am wrong .. i will listen to you! thanks a lot! I realize even though this is MY dream... and NOT yours..your complete and immediate denial of my dream really hit home and i'm going to go play checkers now."

Life is a marathon; not a 40 yard dash.

A superior psychology, mastery of self, and a clean arse are the keys to happiness.
(#77 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-01-2010, 12:52 AM

British people criticize everyone and everything :P So do Japanese people. Of course this is a super duper generalization but I think it has a grain of truth in it.
(#78 (permalink))
Old
Saradus (Offline)
JF Regular

11-01-2010, 01:03 AM

Quote:
British people criticize everyone and everything :P So do Japanese people. Of course this is a super duper generalization but I think it has a grain of truth in it.
I think all of us the world over like to do a little bit of criticism, it's in our nature I guess!
(#79 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-01-2010, 01:31 AM

Quote:
I think all of us the world over like to do a little bit of criticism, it's in our nature I guess!
Very true. Although, it seems that the new world people like Americans and Australians are taught to be more optimistic. I had many run-ins with my old manager when I started working in the states. She didn't like me being so "negative" about things where I thought I was making some criticisms out of pure precaution. I've heard some American people complain how they were taught that the future would be rosy and they should be all positive about life but the reality turned out to be much much harsher and dismal. I have never heard of this type of complaints from a Japanese person before. I'm not sure about British people but personally haven't heard this from a British person either. I was taught that the future WILL BE harsh and I have the complete opposite complaint. They should have taught me that the world wouldn't be so bad.

Last edited by cranks : 11-01-2010 at 01:38 AM.
(#80 (permalink))
Old
Saradus (Offline)
JF Regular

11-01-2010, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Very true. Although, It seems that the new world people like Americans and Australians are taught to be more optimistic. I had many run-ins with my old manager when I started working in the states. She didn't like me being so "negative" about things where I thought I was making some criticisms out of pure precaution. I've heard some American people complain how they were taught that the future would be rosy and you should be all positive about life but the reality turned out to be much much harsher and dismal. I have never heard of this type of complaints from a Japanese person before. I'm not sure about British people but haven't heard this from a British people either. I was taught that the future WILL BE harsh and I have the complete opposite complaint. They should have taught me that the world is not that bad.
Yeah we british really don't view things through rose-coloured glasses. If anything we are overly realist and cynical! It's a common thing in schools to be told things will only get harder when we leave education! Albeit sometimes half-heartedly by teachers with dark humour (one of my favourite teachers ALWAYS told us how things would get worse in his jokey way)