any reason why adem?
they recruited me to the army *straight face*

(#72 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-14-2010, 09:04 PM

ah that was nice of them

Is there National Service in your country?
(#73 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

11-14-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModusOperandi View Post
I see you're a bit of an elitist. Why would studies in sociology be useless?
I haven't got a lot of time on the internet, but I'd just like to clear this up.

I'm not the one that decided that a Social Studies A-level was useless. In England, it really is a useless degree to have. It's something people do to fill their timetables. Back when I was researching what courses to take, I read several articles that clearly stated that Social Studies A-level is absolutely worthless, it's ridiculously easy to get good grades, and that most universities wouldn't even count it as a full A-level.

It might not be fair, but some degrees are worth more than others. I'm not the one that decides this. This however, doesn't mean that the fields are more important than others.
(#74 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

11-15-2010, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModusOperandi View Post
You're not being naive. You're being very realistic. Life is definitely not fair. My question however, was designed to place more emphasis on just how much the degree factors into this entire thing. The so-called "cheater" was more than ready for the job. He has the same degree the qualified person has, thus gaining him the job he didn't really deserve. That's why I argue that "degrees" generally prove nothing except that you have them... whether or not you put the work into them.

EDIT: And I think you're giving degrees too much credit.

While I find it hard to disagree with drop rates and success rates, How do you measure the skill of an individual who might be gifted theoretically but can't work practically?
How do you begin assessing how the drop/success rates in your particular institution compares to another institution that might produce an equally, if not skilled, individual of the same field of study?

You can have an education in a certain field of study whether or not you have a degree. I'm assuming your friends are more skilled to a specific field of study that does not pertain to yours. If what you say about them is true, then they can be capable in their respective area of knowledge and not yours. If I somehow misunderstood and you meant that they're more skilled than you in the same filed, but you only have the paper to show it...then I fail to see the argument here.

I may be reading too much into this but, judging from your statement about sociology and your considering your friends knowledge as useless, I seem to get the notion that because you're pursuing an education in mathematics and physics, you think you're more important. I apologize if I'm reading you wrong.
While reading your first paragraph, I can't help but wonder... Do you believe that there really are a lot of people that cheat to get their degrees? I don't know where you're from, and how exams are taken, but from my experience, where I've had exams, it's really hard to cheat. And even the people that do cheat, they hardly ever cheat to get really good grades... most of them do it just to secure a pass. So in the end, things are still very different between, someone that cheats to gets a 10/20, and someone that studies to get 17/20.
Another thing I couldn't help but wonder is; so what if the cheater gets the job? If it's a job related to his degree, sooner or later he'll get caught out, he'll get fired, and someone that deserves the position gets it.

lol, touché! I think you're not giving degrees enough credit, so it's obvious you think the opposite of me!

You know, you seem to be getting into way too much detail with this. It seems like you think I'm saying the current system is perfect! No one is saying that without qualifications you're screwed because it proves that you're stupid. Heck, if we take the amount of money you make as a decider for your success in life, I think it's 4 or 6 of the worlds 10 richest men either didn't go to university or they dropped out! Obviously these people are very talented, they don't have degrees, and they're successful! No one said you're screwed without a degree. But until we find a perfect system that judges ALL our abilities, from theoretical, to practical, to physical, to concentration, to linguistics etc etc, we have to use higher education and degrees.

Yes, you can have a certain field of education with or without a degree, but the friends in question, they're smart, and they don't have a specific field of education. They just have the ability to understand and assimilate things.

If look at our brains as hard drives. They would have something like 100Gb of data, where as I would have 20Gb of data. My 20Gb is full of Math and Science, theirs is full of a million different subjects, but never knowing any of those subjects well enough! So to an employer searching for someone smart with knowledge of Math, I'd be a better candidate. My friends are smarter than me, but they haven't proved their competences in Math. They could end up sucking at Math if they tried studying it deeply!

You're judging society! Not me! As I said in previous post, it's not me that decided the A-level qualification of Social Studies is useless. I only spoke about the qualification, not the field of study! As for the useless knowledge, that's just common sense. If I have knowledge about psychology, Math, Engineering, history, football, basketball etc and I go to apply for a job as lifeguard, my knowledge is useless!!
The only person that's ever thought that math and physics makes me part of the "elite" is my old fashioned parents! You probably didn't read my posts before, that's why you think what you think! I hope I've cleared things up!

Last edited by noodle : 11-15-2010 at 12:10 PM.
(#75 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-15-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanebond2221 View Post
Yes, I am a student. And I am the beast student in my University. I read well. As result every year I got highest number.
The irony that the 'best' student mistypes/mispells 'best' amuses me.

Well done if that's true though. What uni do attend and what do you study?
(#76 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
11-15-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanebond2221
Yes, I am a student. And I am the beast student in my University. I read well. As result every year I got highest number.
The irony that the 'best' student mistypes/mispells 'best' amuses me.
LOL

Reading well makes you the best student in your uni? Where, in a shiny teletubbie world?

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#77 (permalink))
Old
xYinniex (Offline)
Quit yo' jibber jabber!

11-18-2010, 12:18 AM

On Cheating:
Actually, surprising amount of overseas students(mostly chinese) cheat in their studies here, I knew a guy who did the exams for them. Like Noodle said though, cheaters eventually get caught out. Even though the guy did it for money, i still felt bad for him, he was a unemployed graduate hoping to gain some more money for the timebeing, AND THEN he managed to snag a job in advertising with a £30k+ salary, just before he started his new job, he got caught for the exam/cheat scheme and then deported back to China.

The irony was that he didn't need to earn that extra money, his father was a very important and very rich diplomat in China, he was given money. But that £30K job was his way out of a arranged marriage to a CEO's daughter he didn't love. Shame really.

"I'm sorry, but i must have given you the impression that I actually care about your opinions"
(#78 (permalink))
Old
adem940 (Offline)
Paradise Lost

Send a message via MSN to adem940 Send a message via Yahoo to adem940
11-19-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
ah that was nice of them

Is there National Service in your country?

yeah, there is, military is an obligation in here.

(#79 (permalink))
Old
ShiroiHana (Offline)
JF Regular

11-26-2010, 03:15 PM

I'm in my 4th year at university, studying linguistics and translation.

Yeah its great to be a student. I have to get at least a BA.

My Blog + My Twitter
(●^ー^●)
(#80 (permalink))
Old
Yojimbo (Offline)
New to JF

11-26-2010, 09:35 PM

I'm in my 4th year in my university either. Studying on Enviromental Engineering.

After that I'm planning to study MA in foreign country. I wanna go Canada, Cuba or Ireland for it.

Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin van-guarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition.