LinkBack Thread Tools
(#51 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-03-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
forgive my interference shouldn't star wars be separate from the actual world war?

One is fantasy-- the other-- Was a "Happening."
You didn't like the discussion of Star Wars on your WWII thread, so I removed all mention of Star Wars from that thread and branched it here.

I can understand not wanting to go off topic, but now it sounds like you are trying to censor speech.

I think the idea that attack is justified and another is not is fascinating, and for the purposes of this topic it doesn't matter that one is real and the other is fantasy. The people here discussing it probably have encyclopedic knowledge of both, and in no way is it being disrespectful of the dead.
(#52 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-03-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
I don't disagree with your point but I think it's safe to say that there was noone aboard the Death Star apart from military personnel and droids. And that the only other people that might have been on board DS2 were slaves.

I just thought of another point too. Why would the Empire employ contractors to work on such a top secret project? The first star wars movie was all about retrieving and delivering the original's plans to the rebel alliance.

It is also claimed that many Bothan spies died trying to retrieve plans for the second.

You're right though.. the fact that it was a weapon of mass destruction makes anyone that is working for it acceptable collateral.
Are slaves acceptable collateral damage?
(#53 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-03-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Are slaves acceptable collateral damage?
Well not automatically.

But I'd say given the circumstances... yes.
(#54 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-04-2011, 02:56 AM

We know that military bases, like anything else, can inspire savvy businesspeople and many private businesses crop up near military bases. In Okinawa I hear there are many shops, bars and restaurants with US military men as intended customers.

These are off-base, but near base. Do those that choose to live and work near military bases take on any responsibility in case the base is attacked?

In other words, if you choose to live or work near a military target, are you responsible or partially at fault if you are hurt or killed if the base is attacked?
(#55 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

01-04-2011, 03:45 AM

Star Wars has alot to do with WW2, the whole theme is actually built around the idea of a dictator being elected. The people in the empire "ELECTED" Palpatine as thier leader, so really, all of them were guilty in that sense. Just like the Germans elected Hitler. Point of fact, Lucas himself has mentioned that the Star Wars films were supposed to show the similarities to Nazi Germany.

Storm Troopers, who are in fact Clone Troopers, believed the alliance were rebels who betrayed the Republic. That it was they who were evil and causeing unneeded death and destruction.

Ronin, your suggestion of the death stars being destroyed and the empire weakened and trying to surrender while the alliance decided to strike anyway doesn't work. Japan had 6 million troops on mainland China who had never crossed swords with the US, They were decidedly apposed to surrender. Not only that, Japan kept trying to 'surrender' with conditions. The US said Unconditional was the only surrender they would acept and until the bombs, Japan wasn't willing to do that.

Now I suppose you could say the US, being unable to accept anything but unconditional surrender, were being hard headed. But again, that goes back to the concept of Total War brought about dureing the Civil War. The US, when it's really angery, doesn't allow conditional surrender.

Again, "Geneva Conventions" are just words on paper men write to feel good about themselves when war itself is about killing and destroying. You'll also notice that the nations who "wrote it" are the westernized ones with the most powerful militaries.

Hell, the US was born breaking military law, that "indian style" of warfare was considered low brow and criminal by the British regulars who had a very distinct formulated battle system. However, countries with out that type of military can't fight that way because they dont have the resources. On the other hand, until you defeat who ever is the big heavy of the day, useing thier battle tactics, you'll never be recognized nationally.

The Jihadi's use the only methods they can to fight us, but really it doesn't do much damage, mostly it amuses us for a time, then we find something else shiny to play with. The only way they will recieve true recognition is if they beat us on the battle field useing our tactics and weapons, wich isn't likely going to happen.

It's why the battle of Cowpens was so important dureing the American revolution, it showed France we could go toe to toe with Britain, in the Nepoleaonic style and win. Thus allowing France to back our horse in the race.
(#56 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

01-04-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
We know that military bases, like anything else, can inspire savvy businesspeople and many private businesses crop up near military bases. In Okinawa I hear there are many shops, bars and restaurants with US military men as intended customers.

These are off-base, but near base. Do those that choose to live and work near military bases take on any responsibility in case the base is attacked?

In other words, if you choose to live or work near a military target, are you responsible or partially at fault if you are hurt or killed if the base is attacked?
Depends on the circumstances I guess.

What does this have to do with Star Wars?

You're not suggesting that their were businesspeople aboard the death star are you? I thought we'd covered that already.

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 01-04-2011 at 06:34 AM.
(#57 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

01-04-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzorian View Post
Star Wars has alot to do with WW2, the whole theme is actually built around the idea of a dictator being elected. The people in the empire "ELECTED" Palpatine as thier leader, so really, all of them were guilty in that sense. Just like the Germans elected Hitler. Point of fact, Lucas himself has mentioned that the Star Wars films were supposed to show the similarities to Nazi Germany.

Storm Troopers, who are in fact Clone Troopers, believed the alliance were rebels who betrayed the Republic. That it was they who were evil and causeing unneeded death and destruction.

Ronin, your suggestion of the death stars being destroyed and the empire weakened and trying to surrender while the alliance decided to strike anyway doesn't work. Japan had 6 million troops on mainland China who had never crossed swords with the US, They were decidedly apposed to surrender. Not only that, Japan kept trying to 'surrender' with conditions. The US said Unconditional was the only surrender they would acept and until the bombs, Japan wasn't willing to do that.

Now I suppose you could say the US, being unable to accept anything but unconditional surrender, were being hard headed. But again, that goes back to the concept of Total War brought about dureing the Civil War. The US, when it's really angery, doesn't allow conditional surrender.

Again, "Geneva Conventions" are just words on paper men write to feel good about themselves when war itself is about killing and destroying. You'll also notice that the nations who "wrote it" are the westernized ones with the most powerful militaries.

Hell, the US was born breaking military law, that "indian style" of warfare was considered low brow and criminal by the British regulars who had a very distinct formulated battle system. However, countries with out that type of military can't fight that way because they dont have the resources. On the other hand, until you defeat who ever is the big heavy of the day, useing thier battle tactics, you'll never be recognized nationally.

The Jihadi's use the only methods they can to fight us, but really it doesn't do much damage, mostly it amuses us for a time, then we find something else shiny to play with. The only way they will recieve true recognition is if they beat us on the battle field useing our tactics and weapons, wich isn't likely going to happen.

It's why the battle of Cowpens was so important dureing the American revolution, it showed France we could go toe to toe with Britain, in the Nepoleaonic style and win. Thus allowing France to back our horse in the race.
I understand "Might makes right".

It's not an acceptable philosophy.
(#58 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-04-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Depends on the circumstances I guess.

What does this have to do with Star Wars?

You're not suggesting that their were businesspeople aboard the death star are you? I thought we'd covered that already.
This is about Star Wars AND WWII.

It may have been covered in what you say is canon, but I am wondering what a million or so military men are expected to do for years at a time to keep themselves entertained.
(#59 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

01-04-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
It may have been covered in what you say is canon, but I am wondering what a million or so military men are expected to do for years at a time to keep themselves entertained.
Who said they were stationed there years at a time?

You're just making shit up now.

Sailors in modern navies do 3-6 month tours and then return home for a month or two etc. I'd say being stationed aboard the DS would simply be rotating a few battalions, work crews and squadrons in and out.
(#60 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

01-05-2011, 12:11 AM

The DS had 100,000 storm troopers, that's more than a few battalions. It held a million plus personel and was the size of a small moon. It was basically a major military base, and military bases have large civilian populations that hang around them because troops on base have lots of two things....spare time..and money.

I'll give you a real time example. When I was sent to Germany dureing Desert Storm, My battallion alone pumped 5 million into the local economy in 6 months. Germany use to have over 300,000 American troops stationed there. I'm sure everyone remembers all the demonstrations about "Yankee go home". What people fail to remember is many of those protests near the end were about "Yankee stay here" cause those small towns around the bases noticed how much money they were looseing as fewer and fewer Americans were stationed there.

That doesn't change the fact the DS was a legit target, I wont deny that. But it wasn't just stacked wall to wall with battle hardened nutjobs either. Those civilians provided essential R and R and other goods and services to the troops there and made them as much a legit target as the DS was.

That's the whole issue. Civilians in a war are resources for the nation at war and thus become 'legit" war targets becuase of what they provide for the nation dureing war time...wich is EVERYTHING. It takes Civilians to keep a national army working.