JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#131 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-25-2011, 02:20 AM

Father's apparently get no say in the whole thing. Course one could argue that the male shoulda known better anyway, so I guess there's that.

The designer baby thing is relavent because of how gene mapping is advanceing technology. The Movie Gattica is something I would recomend because it illistrates that type of future.
(#132 (permalink))
Old
pumpum (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-25-2011, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by File0 View Post
you say women should be able to chose whatever they like to do with the scientifically proven alive fetus*.
*It was your hypothesis wasn't it...
choose whatever theyd like LOL - they only have two options - either have it or kill it! simple and either way it has nothing to do with a third party - my point is - THEY SHOULDNT HAVE TO JUSTIFY IT TO ANYBODY!

wether they have it or not is up to them - im just pointing out that if they want to they can kill their own foetus as it is theirs! and not worry about what "society" may think

The things that come to those who wait are the things that are left by those who got there first !
(#133 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

01-25-2011, 02:26 PM

well. if a kid is autistic (later stages) then it is like you said. he can live a happy life. but - the life of his parents won't be. i've seen these people - so miserable because of their child - they do everything to make him happy and yes - the kid is happy, but parents aren't (not all cases but still plenty). it is always harder for those around than than the person with defects.
lets say you are a successful working woman with dreams of a great life. your child comes along and now your whole life is bind to taking care of him - in some cases for rest of the child's life without realizing any of your hopes.
this could have been the way it went for my family because of my leg problems when i was born, but in the end everything was better than ok. still - it was a small chance and i would hate myself for robbing my parents of their lives if it didn't work out.
(#134 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-26-2011, 02:40 AM

Wether something "works out" or not often times is based on the willpower of the individuals in question.

The US currently has a unwed pregnancy topping over 41% nationally, in 1960 it was 5.1 %. That's over all. Amoung the black population it's over 70% and the hispanic population it's 50%. White's are at 29%, wich is about what the black unwed pregnancy situation was at in 1960 when Patrick Moynahan mentioned it as a concern.

Today over 70% of people 18 to 30 fail to meet the basic requirements for the military and of the remaining 30 % or so, less than 3% can pass the test to get into the military. The situation has gotten to the point that the USA Today had a write up in it's editorial.

The basic structure of the family unit, at least in many parts of the US is falling apart. Historically, this is a sign of moral decay an collapse. AKA Rome.
(#135 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

01-26-2011, 10:45 AM

well. usa citizens become more damaged after they are born. 25% of population is obese - unable to do anything. only then comes fat people which combined with obese is ~ 65%.
sorry. but in this case there are more problems with the lifestyle, not birth.
(#136 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

01-26-2011, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanny View Post
well. usa citizens become more damaged after they are born. 25% of population is obese - unable to do anything. only then comes fat people which combined with obese is ~ 65%.
sorry. but in this case there are more problems with the lifestyle, not birth.
:O is it that bad??
I have been in Japan too long, I can no longer imagine 2/3 of the people I see being fat and 1/4 to be baloon-like

But now that I think of it I do remember having this culture-shock surprise that everyone here is ultra thin when I first got here.

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#137 (permalink))
Old
evanny (Offline)
devil's advocate

01-26-2011, 02:57 PM

well. people who go to usa feel the same way only it is reverse. my friend works there and he was shocked seeing how big the people are and just how much they eat fast food. he was working at some sandwich shop so he had seen it all.
i think its ok to experience culture shock but what it says about the country where the shock comes from fat people? i've had the experience when i was in egypt since there were a lot of black people. in my country there are some 10 maybe? ...you never see one (mby 5 times in my life) i guess in a way it was the same as going to america and seeing XXXXL sized people - another thing that is not here...

Last edited by evanny : 01-26-2011 at 08:40 PM.