JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Readinglevelup (Offline)
New to JF

How much do Japanese drink alcohol? - 01-14-2011, 09:28 PM

I've always wondered how much they drank. From what I've heard is that a lot of them are light drinkers and drinking and driving is taken seriously. Don't know if the first one is completely true, though.

Anyways, just wanted to know because I don't drink and I'm not really planning to start anytime soon. haha
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-14-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readinglevelup View Post
I've always wondered how much they drank. From what I've heard is that a lot of them are light drinkers and drinking and driving is taken seriously. Don't know if the first one is completely true, though.

Anyways, just wanted to know because I don't drink and I'm not really planning to start anytime soon. haha
I have seen all types in Japan. Many people don't drink at all, and then many people drink socially, and then many people drink daily.

Drinking and driving is a big no-no. It is nice that in the cities there are convenient trains and taxis, so usually one need not worry. It makes it easy to NOT drink and drive.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-14-2011, 10:46 PM

Quote:

Outside of drunk driving I think Japanese tend to be fairly light-hearted when it comes to alcohol, public drunkenness is much better tolerated here and drinking on the street is not against the law; additionally underage drinking rules are not strictly enforced.

To answer your question everybody is different, but alcohol certainly does have its place in both casual social and working social environments.

As far as tolerance level goes, I have met quite a few light-weights but there have also certainly been a few I have met that can really slam them back.

Last edited by RickOShay : 01-14-2011 at 10:55 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-14-2011, 10:50 PM

5 glasses of beer per week.

It's the law.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-14-2011, 11:39 PM

The Japanese seem to love a drink as much as anyone else. On the whole, at least compared to most Aussies I know, they are lightweights when it comes to how much they can consume which is one of the reasons why nomi hodai (all you can drink) options can actually be profitable here. In Aus if you had something like that you'd lose big time. I haven't seen too many violent drunks here but there are a few and I have seen a number of drunken brawls over the years. I've also helped a few Japanese get a taxi after finding them practically unconcious laying in the snow on my way home. I've also seen quite a few drunk drivers. Up here in the inaka I guess they think they have a better chance of getting away with it, which is quite true.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Talking drinking - 01-15-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Seems, you have a serious problem. Are you a monk from some remote monastery, by chance?
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Readinglevelup (Offline)
New to JF

01-15-2011, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by termogard View Post
Seems, you have a serious problem. Are you a monk from some remote monastery, by chance?
Haha, nope, I just don't like it, I guess. It seems like a waste of money to me. Depending on the atmosphere, I generally don't like parties. Usually because I don't want some random girl(s) after me. :P

Thanks for replying, guys!
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-16-2011, 01:29 AM

Quote:
I also barely ever drink.

For me it`s a waste of money thing as I have to drink a LOT for anything to happen, so why bother? I usually just go with soft drinks as even if I get something alcoholic, the chance I`ll actually drink enough for anything to happen is pretty slim... And I can`t say I want to drink it just for the taste.

I am actually pretty jealous of most Japanese I know - they can get drunk from a single can of chu-hi...

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Smile taste - 01-16-2011, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
And I can`t say I want to drink it just for the taste.

I am actually pretty jealous of most Japanese I know - they can get drunk from a single can of chu-hi...
From a single can, you said? Strange.....I heard Japanese men can drink "heavy alcoholic drinks" such as vodka or cognac (brandy) in large amounts without getting too drunk.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-16-2011, 02:58 AM

Quote:
From a single can, you said? Strange.....I heard Japanese men can drink "heavy alcoholic drinks" such as vodka or cognac (brandy) in large amounts without getting too drunk.
I know Japanese people that blow up like red balloons just from a few sips, and some that can drink nearly an entire bottle of bourbon in a few hours, and still be very coherent. Each person is different.