JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
tipsygypsy (Offline)
wa gwaaan?

02-23-2011, 01:21 PM

This might sound really ridiculous, but it actualy works. Smoke weed and listen to reggae music
(#12 (permalink))
Old
tipsygypsy (Offline)
wa gwaaan?

02-23-2011, 01:23 PM

or find an unconditional love which makes you feel really secure
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-23-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
That's actually an excellent suggestion. Excercise releases endorphins, which can help to lift one's mood. It also provides a distraction from any problems you may at the time be facing, and/or give you time to think of a solution. Pounding a cushion - as Dogs said - or even scream therapy, where you find a quiet place and scream into a pillow, could be a good release for you too.
They don't tend to recommend punching or screaming any more to counteract violent outburst behaviour. While tiring, positively productive activity, or neutral action (like say, digging in the garden, running, sit ups, even painting) can indeed be really, really helpful, if you're prone to lashing out physically in anger, punching can actually make you associate your negative feelings MORE with violence, so the next time your mood is triggered, you've conditioned yourself to lash out, making for a vicious circle.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-23-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
They don't tend to recommend punching or screaming any more to counteract violent outburst behaviour. While tiring, positively productive activity, or neutral action (like say, digging in the garden, running, sit ups, even painting) can indeed be really, really helpful, if you're prone to lashing out physically in anger, punching can actually make you associate your negative feelings MORE with violence, so the next time your mood is triggered, you've conditioned yourself to lash out, making for a vicious circle.
Ah, I didn't realise that. Thanks for letting me know! It's been years since I did psychology, but I didn't really study anger issues, so I can't say the various methods for dealing with it ever came up. I knew about the recomendations for excercise, but the punching/screaming was more anecdotal really. That does make a lot of sense though, so I'll be sure to bear it in mind in future
(#15 (permalink))
Old
protheus (Offline)
Arthur et Les Minimoys

Send a message via Yahoo to protheus
02-23-2011, 01:46 PM

You can also try to listen to smoothing / calming sounds when in "anger mode", sounds like sea shore, wales, forest sounds, birds singing, purring cats and so on.

Reverse psychology, "dear Watson", reverse psychology.
"Manganese? Is that manga language?" - lol?
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Demitrichan (Offline)
True Collector

Send a message via MSN to Demitrichan Send a message via Yahoo to Demitrichan
Smile 02-23-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsygypsy View Post
This might sound really ridiculous, but it actualy works. Smoke weed and listen to reggae music
I actually agree with this I mean I would recommend something healthier and ya know not illegal, but it does work reggae is actually extremely relaxing. As is marijuana but as I said, its illegal. So I would not recommended that part.

*LUCKY STAR!*

(#17 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

02-23-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
Ah, I didn't realise that. Thanks for letting me know! It's been years since I did psychology, but I didn't really study anger issues, so I can't say the various methods for dealing with it ever came up. I knew about the recomendations for excercise, but the punching/screaming was more anecdotal really. That does make a lot of sense though, so I'll be sure to bear it in mind in future

using a punch bag is perfectly safe. all this fancy psychology. GO out and do something energetic--- useful. when i was upset with no one to talk to i found that punching cushions did help. not punching people.

no doubt many fancy modern ways of thinking think differently but there'S nothing like hard physical work or exercise to wear you out.

the way some spoiled children play up with tantrums in order to get their own way.

they need to be calmed down in a firm manner with no giving in to their temper tantrums. distraction often helps dilute the temper.

much must depend on the cause of feeling anger.

i love super nanny.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 02-23-2011 at 05:27 PM.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

02-23-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsygypsy View Post
you know the way i am feeling right now i could do with some relaxing substance.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

02-23-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by protheus View Post
You can also try to listen to smoothing / calming sounds when in "anger mode", sounds like sea shore, wales, forest sounds, birds singing, purring cats and so on.

those relaxation methods are okay if trying to sleep and relax not sure if they would prevent feelings of anger.
(#20 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

02-23-2011, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghap View Post
Family and friends.

Talk to them if you need too.

often there can be anger with ones own family. they can be the last people to go to---------------------it does depend if there has been a row in the family and the teen years can be so frustrating. we used to take in many of my sons friends when they had been kicked out by their family.

having a really good friend to let it all out can really help.

my own son was a nightmare but his mates loved coming here to chill out.

frustration can make us angry. try to consider why you are feeling angry.

my ex son in law has bi polar as does one of his daughters. they behave in an almost identical manner, either really loving and welcoming or totally ignoring everyone else,

its a tricky situation. he was also a bully towards our daughter. she put up with it for ten years---------------

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 02-23-2011 at 05:32 PM.