JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#181 (permalink))
Old
siokan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-12-2011, 03:58 AM

The earthquake continues 200 times or more including the aftershock.

North American Plate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1.jpg

>tipsygypsy
都内は大丈夫?パニクって飯とか買い漁ってるのも居る らしいけど・・・

Please permit poor English. orz
Cryptanalysis is necessary for you.
set a goal:English at the same level as Johan Cruyff
(#182 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-12-2011, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsygypsy View Post
well...you still better be prepared to be able to escape from your house anytime. we are having countless earthquakes since yesterday and it seems like the epicenters are heading down toward south. first couple of dozen hit Tohoku, following ones hit Niigata, Ibaraki, Nagano, Gunma, far shore of Chiba, and Izu. Now I can imagine Japan break into millions of pieces.
We have our game plan, and just stocked up on a bunch of stuff at the store. It was a fricking zoo. I have never seen so many people buying so much at once in all my 7 years here. Fingers still crossed nothing happens though. I actually have not even felt any of the aftershocks or the quakes in Nagano etc.

If the Tokai hits Japan will be in complete turmoil. Pray Mt Fuji doesn't erupt.
(#183 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-12-2011, 04:00 AM

On the news currently they are reporting 1300 confirmed dead. Unfortunately I think this will continue to rise as they get to the more remote and hardest hit areas. Some towns are literally completely gone. It truly is horribly devastating.
(#184 (permalink))
Old
tipsygypsy (Offline)
wa gwaaan?

03-12-2011, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siokan View Post
tipsygypsy
都内は大丈夫?パニクって飯とか買い漁ってるのも居る らしいけど・・・
さっき飯を食いに外出したらミスドもマックも松屋も混 雑してたので、コンビニに行きました。 コンビニもす ぐに食える物は売り切れてたので、冷凍食品を買って家 であっためて食う羽目に 

しかしこんな日に勤務してる人達にはほんとに頭さがり ますね。 人的な混乱も無いみたいだし、日本人はなか なか大したもんだと思いました。

Jah Rastafaaari. Yeah pasta for life
(#185 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-12-2011, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsygypsy View Post
さっき飯を食いに外出したらミスドもマックも松屋も混 雑してたので、コンビニに行きました。 コンビニもす ぐに食える物は売り切れてたので、冷凍食品を買って家 であっためて食う羽目に 

しかしこんな日に勤務してる人達にはほんとに頭さがり ますね。 人的な混乱も無いみたいだし、日本人はなか なか大したもんだと思いました。
Yeah, the orderly fashion in which Japanese can continue to do things even in circumstances like this is very respectable. I could not think of going to work after something like this.
(#186 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-12-2011, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
On the news currently they are reporting 1300 confirmed dead. Unfortunately I think this will continue to rise as they get to the more remote and hardest hit areas. Some towns are literally completely gone. It truly is horribly devastating.
Are they? I just saw the number as 1,400 dead AND missing.
(#187 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-12-2011, 05:05 AM

I just went for a 30km bike ride Kasairinkai park and the Disney resort. The coastal road and highway were completely packed with cars headed out of the city. The park was eerily quiet, as the Keio train line has been stopped, and the cars on the highway were moving too slowly to make any noise. The Japanese are pretty good about not using their car horns incessantly.

The convenience stores are sold out of instant foods, like noodles and such, and there are no baked goods as there was no gas to operate the bakery ovens, many gas stations are sold out of gasoline.

My apartment continues to shake, but less frequently and with less motion tha last night. The gas is up and running again, I will relax in the bath before going to bed tonight.

I have to go to the school tomorrow as there is some kind of function planned. I will put my name on the volunteer list as I am a certified paramedic, but hopefully there will be no need for them to call me.

The numbers of dead and missing are hard to figure out due to lack of communication, and the fact that entire communities have disappeared, so in many cases there isn't anyone left alive to report someone else missing.

The amount of damage continues to grow as news and rescue people reach the more hard-hit areas.

Haneda airport is open, and the amount of traffic flying in and out looks normal. Many train lines remain closed, and the stations are still crowded with people hoping the lines will start running again soon.

I was able to contact friends and family in America and let them know that I was safe, though I haven't been able to contact some people in Chiba who live near the beach.
(#188 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

03-12-2011, 05:12 AM

Damnit! I made it home and my apartment is wrecked..

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#189 (permalink))
Old
tipsygypsy (Offline)
wa gwaaan?

03-12-2011, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
Damnit! I made it home and my apartment is wrecked..
oh no pack stuffs and stay away from your apt. it seems like aftershocks never stop hitting us.

Jah Rastafaaari. Yeah pasta for life
(#190 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

03-12-2011, 05:20 AM

Quick warning though. Power may be cut tonight so if you're in at least eastern Japan, charge your phones, laptops, etc.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography