LinkBack Thread Tools
(#271 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-12-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairebear View Post
Oh, and now all the unbelievably ignorant people of the internet are saying this is "payback for Pearl Harbor". Yeah, let's just conveniently forget that America dropped atomic bombs on them. I'm so ashamed to be a Westerner right now. The absolute lack of respect coming from some people is disgusting, but it's exactly what I expected unfortunately.
Speaking of lack of respect from some in the west, there was a picture in the paper today to go with the tsunami article (The Times, I think) of the Grim Reaper surfing on a coffin-shaped surfboard with Japan's flag on it . . . it seemed in extremely bad taste to me, rather offensive too. A lot of the news coverage (save from the the NHK and BBC) doesn't seem to be treating the issue with any respect at all . . .

I just wondered how the issue was being covered in other countries outside of the UK and Japan? How is the media handling this in the rest of the world?
(#272 (permalink))
Old
PsycKho (Offline)
New to JF

03-12-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairebear View Post
Oh, and now all the unbelievably ignorant people of the internet are saying this is "payback for Pearl Harbor". Yeah, let's just conveniently forget that America dropped atomic bombs on them. I'm so ashamed to be a Westerner right now. The absolute lack of respect coming from some people is disgusting, but it's exactly what I expected unfortunately.
Ignore them. As you said, Ignorant people. You don't need to bother with that, they are actually the ones suffering from it.

There'll always be people like this : p

Also, As I said in my introduction, I wish good luck to everyone who's currently dealing with what's happening, and I honestly hope there won't be a nuclear fission or whatsoever causing even more trouble than there's already.

Sincerly. It sucks. =(
(#273 (permalink))
Old
globetrotter36 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via Skype™ to globetrotter36
03-12-2011, 06:58 PM

According to the last report I heard here in the UK around a thousand people are dead or missing. I fear that number will rise dramatically as sadly such figures nearly always do. I really wish there was something I could do to help as, I still remember my two visits to Japan and the people. Shame such a tragedy should befall a such a beautiful country.
(#274 (permalink))
Old
PsycKho (Offline)
New to JF

03-12-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
I just wondered how the issue was being covered in other countries outside of the UK and Japan? How is the media handling this in the rest of the world?
As always, it seems like a creepy reality show that people like to listen. A morbid flow of news, constantly feeding the bloodthirst of the people.

That's why I don't watch tv.
Just did for the japan disaster :/
(#275 (permalink))
Old
V1nn1 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-12-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Well, here in Holland, it was on TV for the whole day yesterday :O
(#276 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-12-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Speaking of lack of respect from some in the west, there was a picture in the paper today to go with the tsunami article (The Times, I think) of the Grim Reaper surfing on a coffin-shaped surfboard with Japan's flag on it . . . it seemed in extremely bad taste to me, rather offensive too. A lot of the news coverage (save from the the NHK and BBC) doesn't seem to be treating the issue with any respect at all . . .

CNN is almost covering this exclusively. They seem to be pretty respectful to me.
(#277 (permalink))
Old
KHamby (Offline)
New to JF

03-12-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:

I was watching Anderson Cooper on CNN when they abruptly broke for the earthquake. I watched, horrified, as the tsunami spread its destruction. I stayed up all night watching and praying for Japan. At first the news was repetitive, but I couldn't turn away from it.

Americans are very concerned about Japan. Already groups are asking for contributions toward aid for people who have lost so much. CNN broadcast nothing but news from Japan all the next day, also. It is still almost the only thing on the news. Don't believe the people who say we don't care. The vast majority are heartbroken and praying for you.

Last edited by KHamby : 03-12-2011 at 08:32 PM.
(#278 (permalink))
Old
lesliehelm (Offline)
New to JF

Nuclear Power Disaster - 03-12-2011, 08:45 PM

Japan has long been irresponsible about locating power plants right on top of major faults. A major disaster was just waiting to happen. Here is a link to how they approached the development of one nuclear complex in northeastern Japan in spite of numerous safety issues by buying off local villagers.

HOT PROPERTY : How Japan Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Nuclear Power - Los Angeles Times
(#279 (permalink))
Old
dannavy85 (Offline)
JF Regular

03-12-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Oh, and now all the unbelievably ignorant people of the internet are saying this is "payback for Pearl Harbor".
And that's what they are...ignorant scum.

USN Japan 1985 - 1997, best years of my life.
(#280 (permalink))
Old
Anjin (Offline)
JF Regular

03-12-2011, 08:59 PM

I heard there are starting to be cases of people coming into hospital with radiation poisoning.