LinkBack Thread Tools
(#671 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-19-2011, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy0000 View Post
Dude, maybe in America, americans are purchasing potassium iodide pills because there are nuclear powerplants located in the United States?

No they are doing it because they probably watch crap like Fox News. Even though the vast bulk of them probably couldn't even find Japan on a map (let alone the state they live in) it's hardly surprising they are carrying on with such stupidity. Most of us around the world really don't expect Americans to ever show much common sense so don't worry we actually expected such stupidity
(#672 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

03-19-2011, 02:03 AM

Dude, you say that like we can't see what your saying. -.-

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#673 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

03-19-2011, 02:09 AM

Are you going to suggest that the people in the US buying up iodine tablets are showing any basic common sense at all and not actually being totally irrational?
(#674 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)

03-19-2011, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
No they are doing it because they probably watch crap like Fox News. Even though the vast bulk of them probably couldn't even find Japan on a map (let alone the state they live in) it's hardly surprising they are carrying on with such stupidity. Most of us around the world really don't expect Americans to ever show much common sense so don't worry we actually expected such stupidity

Amen to that.... Count me out of those mentioned above, just in case!
(#675 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

03-19-2011, 02:19 AM

I don't buy that "one apple spoils the barrel" crud.

Some people are just taking the "better safe than sorry" route,

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#676 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

03-19-2011, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
Amen to that.... Count me out of those mentioned above, just in case!
Wasn't painting all Americans with the same brush but making a comment on those that are showing such stupidity. I know it's probably a very small proportion of the population.
The comment about those outside the US expecting such stupidity is actually not untrue. Unfortunately media in other countries love to showcase stupid Americans which can give us an unrealistic view of what the average normal American is like. But we do have an expectation that in response to pretty much anything there will be a lot of stupid Americans and you guys rarely dissappoint!
(#677 (permalink))
Old
fluffy0000 (Offline)
FJ to JF

again sorta stupid - 03-19-2011, 02:55 AM

Quote:
No. Their doing it because the US has almost twice the number of nuclear reactors than Japan has. And there are currently 32 GE Mark 1 boiling-water reactors located in the US.

Thats your view and your entitiled to it. Despite your comment about Fox News. Here in the US your description of a 'vast bulk' of viewers is your own preconcieved fantasy.

April 09- April 2010 in the 25-54 demo:

Read more: Glenn Beck's Ratings Collapse
Fox News has suffered a downward slump across the board with most of it's major 'news entertainment' shows including Glenn Beck down by almost 30%, .
Fox News' Bill O’Reilly– down 3% Fox News' Sean Hannity – down 17%
Fox News' Greta Van Sustren – down 13%

Last edited by fluffy0000 : 03-19-2011 at 03:00 AM.
(#678 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

03-19-2011, 03:07 AM

So how many of those US reactors have gone into meltdown? How many were affected by the earthquake off Japan? Has there been earthquakes there that have affected your reactors as well? Or are some people there just being butt dumb stupid and overreacting?
(#679 (permalink))
Old
fluffy0000 (Offline)
FJ to JF

03-19-2011, 03:18 AM

Quote:
So how many of those US reactors have gone into meltdown? How many were affected by the earthquake off Japan? Has there been earthquakes there that have affected your reactors as well? Or are some people there just being butt dumb stupid and overreacting?
Tell the designers of the Mark 1 that they were overreacting, dude.

Fukushima: Mark 1 Nuclear Reactor Design Caused GE Scientist To Quit In Protest
ABC News the blotter
Damaged Japanese Nuclear Plant Has Five Mark 1 Reactors
By MATTHEW MOSK
March 15, 2011 excerpt: article

Thirty-five years ago, Dale G. Bridenbaugh and two of his colleagues at General Electric resigned from their jobs after becoming increasingly convinced that the nuclear reactor design they were reviewing -- the Mark 1 -- was so flawed it could lead to a devastating accident.
Questions persisted for decades about the ability of the Mark 1 to handle the immense pressures that would result if the reactor lost cooling power, and today that design is being put to the ultimate test in Japan. Five of the six reactors at the Fukushima Daiichi plant, which has been wracked since Friday's earthquake with explosions and radiation leaks, are Mark 1s.

"The problems we identified in 1975 were that, in doing the design of the containment, they did not take into account the dynamic loads that could be experienced with a loss of coolant,"
(#680 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

03-19-2011, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy0000 View Post
What if the claim of the International Atomic Energy Agency that the a expected death toll from the Chernobyl accident will be 4,000 was wrong. What if the IAEA underestimated , to the extreme, the casualties of Chernobyl.
just-released publication of a book, the most comprehensive study ever made, on the impacts of the Chernobyl disaster.

New York Academy of Sciences documents. And Chernobyl:

Consequences of the Catastrophe for People and the Environment, authored by Dr. Alexey Yablokov, Dr. Vassily Nesterenko and Dr. Alexey Nesterenko, finds that medical records between 1986, the year of the accident, and 2004 reflect 985,000 deaths as a result of the radioactivity released. Most of the deaths were in Russia, Belarus and Ukraine, but others were spread through the many other countries the radiation from Chernobyl struck.

Makes a good read.
The Chernobyl reactor did not have a containment system, the Fukushima plant does. The Chernobyl reactor was operating at 100% capacity at the moment it failed, the Fukushima reactor was operating at 3%. The Chernobyl reactor was a 1942 Soviet design, the Fukushima plant was an American, 1960's design.

Stop making far-reaching comparisons between incomparable situations.

There is no way one can compare Chernobyl to Fukushima, they are apples and oranges.