LinkBack Thread Tools
(#781 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post radioactive trench - 03-28-2011, 10:04 AM

High-level radiation detected in trench outside Fukushima reactor building

TOKYO, March 28, Kyodo

High levels of radiation exceeding 1,000 millisieverts per hour were found in water in a trench outside the No. 2 reactor's turbine building at the troubled nuclear power plant in Fukushima on Sunday afternoon, Tokyo Electric Power Co. said Monday.

One end of the tunnel-like trench is located about 55 meters from the shore, with the surface of the water staying about 1 meter below its ground-level hole. But no trace has been confirmed of the contaminated water having flowed into the sea, an official of the company said.

Similarly high levels of radioactivity have been found in a pool of water in the basement of the turbine building for the No. 2 reactor at the Fukushima Daiichi complex, raising concerns that radioactive substances may have seeped into the environment, including the sea nearby.

The level of radiation at a similar trench for the No. 1 reactor was 0.4 millisievert per hour, the utility company said, adding that radiation could not be measured at a similar location for the No. 3 unit due to difficulty getting there.

==Kyodo
(#782 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

03-28-2011, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
I was wondering about this myself. I've been checking up on the earthquakes daily and have noticed bigger earthquakes than the one that the article Koir posted talked about. I haven't heard anything about tsunamis either... according to Yahoo.co.jp there hasn't been any recent warnings. I found one website that showed that there might be a .5 meter (at its greatest height) tsunami... which seems like what the article Koir posted is talking about. That tsunami would have (or did come) at around 7:25-7:30 this morning. As far as I know that article was written after the fact, so I don't get the point.
I was watching NHK live yesterday at around 8:00AM local time, and there was a tsunami warning, and NHK were a bit more cautious over it than all the other aftershock, thats why it was posted i guess.
(#783 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post partially melted fuel rods - 03-28-2011, 10:38 AM

The plant operator Tokyo Electric Power Co. said early Monday that the concentration of radioactive substances of a pool at the No. 2 reactor was 100,000 times higher than usual for water in a reactor core, correcting its earlier analysis of 10 million times higher.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano told a press conference that the highly radioactive water found at the basement of the No. 2 reactor's turbine building is ''believed to have temporarily had contact with fuel rods (in the reactor's core) that have partially melted.''

Source

It was reported that radiation levels in water in the unit 2 turbine room measured 1 Sv/h, or 10 million times the normal radioactivity of water circulating in an operating reactor, and four times the yearly level allowed for workers

Source

The IAEA announced that workers hospitalized for treatment of radiation burns on Friday had been exposed to between 2 and 6 Sv of radiation at their ankles when standing in water in unit 3.

Source
(#784 (permalink))
Old
max1024 (Offline)
New to JF

03-28-2011, 12:14 PM

Is there a problem here, why can't I post? Censorship? I tried to post into the 'leave the area' thread but no matter what I can't because of an unknown error.

Last edited by max1024 : 03-28-2011 at 12:22 PM.
(#785 (permalink))
Old
YukisUke (Offline)
Konichiwa, bitches

Send a message via AIM to YukisUke Send a message via Yahoo to YukisUke
03-28-2011, 12:21 PM

They said that they detected signs of radiation in China and in the rainwater in Maine. This is bad!
(#786 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

03-28-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukisUke View Post
They said that they detected signs of radiation in China and in the rainwater in Maine. This is bad!
Can you share the source of where you read this? A lot of other countries are panicking and claiming to be affected by this disaster, i want to see some sources of where all these claims are from..
(#787 (permalink))
Old
steven (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-28-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
I was watching NHK live yesterday at around 8:00AM local time, and there was a tsunami warning, and NHK were a bit more cautious over it than all the other aftershock, thats why it was posted i guess.
I totally missed that. Nobody even mentioned it all day! I guess it just slipped by. Even still though- writing a news story about it after it happened (and didn't really cause any damage to my knowledge) seems strange.
(#788 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

03-28-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
I totally missed that. Nobody even mentioned it all day! I guess it just slipped by. Even still though- writing a news story about it after it happened (and didn't really cause any damage to my knowledge) seems strange.
It was was only a "Flashing Yellow" warning, and it was off the north eastern coast (again)... it wasn't heavily covered, but there were coverage and they put the overlayed map on of the warning over its original programming for a period of time
(#789 (permalink))
Old
jayear (Offline)
New to JF

A message to my friends in Japan - 03-28-2011, 09:14 PM

I was on a skype call to my agent in Tokyo at the precise moment the earthquake hit. I told him to run out of the building but I heard the entire event because the connection was still there. When my agent returned about 5 minutes later we discussed the severity of the event. I switched over to the live coverage from NHK. It was so heartbreaking to watch the tragedy unfold in real time. I have had exhibitions in Sendai and visited Matsushima. To witness the devastation of a tsunami is just beyond words. I spent the next few hours trying to make contact all my friends all over Japan. I just wanted to be sure they were safe.

To all my thousands of fans and collectors in Japan as well as all the nice people I have met on my tours, I wish them comfort and safety. This will take a long time to recover from. I know what's it like having my home wiped out in the 1994 earthquake. What I don't now is the terror of a wall of water wiping our your whole village! My heart goes out to everyone in Japan.

DAVID LLOYD GLOVER
HOLLYWOOD CALIFORNIA
(#790 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post nuclear crisis - 03-29-2011, 04:28 AM

Aerial view of damaged reactors :

YouTube - 平成23年3月27日 福島第1原発状況

Pouring sea water into reactor blocks :

YouTube - 福島第一原発放水作業(3月18日)

FOCUS: Tokyo Electric comes under fire for releasing wrong nuclear data

TOKYO, March 28, Kyodo

While efforts at containing troubled reactors have not been making rapid progress at its Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, signs were emerging that Tokyo Electric Power Co., in the absence of a top officer, is losing its grip on accurately informing the public about risks from radiation.

On Sunday, the utility, known as TEPCO, announced in the morning that the concentration of radioactive materials of water found inside a turbine building adjacent to a rector housing was ''around 10 million times (that of) water in a normal reactor core'' but later corrected the information, saying it ''made a wrong estimation.''

But on Saturday, it was disclosed that the company had not informed workers who suffered high levels of radiation at the No. 3 reactor unit about radiation levels of the place where they would be working. The government was also found to have not been informed.

Critics say the company lacks cost consciousness and apparently has no idea about what competition is. It is more like a bureaucracy rather than a business being run, they said.

Western media have highlighted the absence of the top management. An official of a foreign company said, ''TEPCO turned its back even against the world.''

Kyodo News : rest of the article

Okay, another one stone into a glass house of TEPCO. Since a very childhood, almost every person knows about existense of fictional universe filled by various super duper highly sophisticated robots of japanese origin (gundams etc). We can see various dancing and talking japanese androids at hi-tech shows. It looks out like technology from XXII century or so. Many people believed in ultimately leading positions of Japan in a field of robotics.
Why they did not create automated crafts that could work in highly contaminated zones without humans? Why they did not create any sort of smart, remotely-controlled robots to work nearby damaged reactors?
Even those "primitive Russians" used to explore remotely-controlled devices in Chernobyl power plant after disaster.

Questions, questions......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1292149933_robot.jpg (36.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg robot-dau2.jpg (41.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg robot-magnitohod.jpg (37.2 KB, 32 views)