JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#871 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post liquid radioactive waste treatment plant - 04-05-2011, 10:11 AM

Floating radiation plant

After seeking help from France and the United States, Japan had now asked Russia to send the floating radiation treatment plant "Suzuran", which has been used to decommission Russian submarines in nearby Vladivostock, Interfax news agency reported.

Advertisement

The "Suzuran", one of the world's largest liquid radioactive waste treatment plants, treats radioactive liquid with chemicals and stores it in a cement form. It is can process 35 cubic metres of liquid waste a day and 7,000 cubic metres a year.

Engineers also plan to build two giant "silt curtains" made of polyester fabric in the sea to block the spread of more contamination from the plant.

TEPCO has start releasing 11,500 tonnes of low-level radioactive seawater that had been used to cool overheated fuel rods after it ran out of storage capacity for more highly contaminated water.

Source

Last edited by termogard : 04-05-2011 at 10:12 AM. Reason: adding link
(#872 (permalink))
Old
protheus (Offline)
Arthur et Les Minimoys

Send a message via Yahoo to protheus
04-05-2011, 10:28 AM

If I want news, I know where to find them, I don't need a news relay parrot on this topic...

Reverse psychology, "dear Watson", reverse psychology.
"Manganese? Is that manga language?" - lol?
(#873 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Smile news relay - 04-05-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by protheus View Post
If I want news, I know where to find them, I don't need a news relay parrot on this topic...

First of all - who needs your opinion at all?
(#874 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

floating radioactive disposal facility - 04-05-2011, 11:01 AM

Japan weighs use of Russian radioactive disposal facility

TOKYO, April 5, Kyodo

The government is studying the possibility of borrowing a Japan-funded radioactive waste disposal facility from Russia to help contain the crisis at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, a nuclear safety agency official said Tuesday.

''We are checking whether it is technically possible to use the facility for this current event, and whether the facility's machines are working smoothly,'' Hidehiko Nishiyama, a spokesman for the government's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency, told a press conference.

He also said Japan has been already communicating with Russia over the possible use of the floating facility, called Suzuran, which Japan gave to Russia in 2001 to help dispose of low-level radioactive liquid waste safely from decommissioned nuclear-powered submarines.

The remarks came as Tokyo is struggling to handle a massive amount of water containing low and high-level radioactive substances found in the nuclear power plant's premises and also leaking into the Pacific Ocean near the plant.

Japan gave the facility to Russia as environmental concerns were raised after Russia dumped radioactive waste into the Sea of Japan in 1993 in the process of dismantling its nuclear subs.

==Kyodo

Foating radioactive disposal facility "Landysh" (Suzuran)

Designed by Coral Central Design Bureau under request of RosAtom state corporation.
USD 30 million was funded by the Government of Japan (overall price of design and building)

Type of ship : towed boat (barge)
Length - 65 meters
Beam - 23, 4 meters
Tank volume - 800 cubic meters
Work capability - 7 000 cubic meters of low-level radioactive liquid waste per year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg %D0%BB%D0%B0%D0%BD%D0%B4%D1%8B%D1%888.jpg (40.3 KB, 31 views)
(#875 (permalink))
Old
hennaz (Offline)
こんにちは!

04-05-2011, 01:17 PM

What really pisses me off right now is linking the disaster with fear-mongering nonsense, like linking the earthquake and tsunami with the film 2012, the earthquake as revenge for Pearl Harbor or the Rape of Nanking, the earthquake as God punishing Japan for killing whales and dolphins, "Japan is crumbling into the sea"...have these people ANY idea of plate tectonics?! To them I'd say, "READ A F__KING BOOK!!!" It's as ridiculous as saying that God punished Indonesia with a tsunami in 2004 for cutting down rainforests! Besides, I find such ridiculous comments offensive, because I have contacts who live in Japan.

Hennaz ヘンナズ

(#876 (permalink))
Old
protheus (Offline)
Arthur et Les Minimoys

04-05-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by termogard View Post
First of all - who needs your opinion at all?
And your nonsense relay of news is needed?

Make a topic of your own if you want to post news. I think this topic is called Big earthquake in Japan, not "Fear of nuclear disaster" or "News Relay Parrot".

(#877 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Smile advisor - 04-05-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by protheus View Post
And your nonsense relay of news is needed?

Make a topic of your own if you want to post news. I think this topic is called Big earthquake in Japan, not "Fear of nuclear disaster" or "News Relay Parrot".
Huh? "You think"
Hey, once again - I need not any advices from your side Understand?
You did not make any contributions here except whining about parrots or something like that. Go give advices to romanian gypsies.
(#878 (permalink))
Old
protheus (Offline)
Arthur et Les Minimoys

04-05-2011, 02:27 PM

Huh? Did you advice people? I only saw copy-paste news since page 1 of this topic from you. Where's your contribution if you're talking about mine?

(#879 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-05-2011, 02:50 PM

actually i think it is good to put that news on here, yes we all can search for news on line--but this keeps it where we can easily see it.

also the nuclear disaster was caused by the earthquake so of course it is relevant and connected. you don't have to read the info from termogard--just bypass it.
(#880 (permalink))
Old
Ehayes (Offline)
New to JF

04-05-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hennaz View Post
What really pisses me off right now is linking the disaster with fear-mongering nonsense, like linking the earthquake and tsunami with the film 2012, the earthquake as revenge for Pearl Harbor or the Rape of Nanking, the earthquake as God punishing Japan for killing whales and dolphins, "Japan is crumbling into the sea"...have these people ANY idea of plate tectonics?! To them I'd say, "READ A F__KING BOOK!!!" It's as ridiculous as saying that God punished Indonesia with a tsunami in 2004 for cutting down rainforests! Besides, I find such ridiculous comments offensive, because I have contacts who live in Japan.
Amen to that!