LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
mousee09 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-17-2011, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
I want to go home (visit), but I want to stay here for a while too. Now that I know about the expenses of Japan, how to shop, etc., I'm ready to truly experience the country, but given the current situation, not an option. I also don't want to leave because of the people I've met during my year here, but I would like to go back home to see my family.

I know of some people around me who are leaving.

Personally, the main concerns I have is the food and water thing, and then the nuclear plant. It seems to go back and forth, but I only worry about the nuclear reactor stuff because of those who are already there and suffering and also hope that the winds don't change direction and cause an even larger radius to be affected.

Anywho, the food and water hoarding is the bother. I don't have anything extra, 'cept for 4 liters of water, which I managed to get after going almost two days without it when the power went out. As for food, I don't have anything that doesn't require being cooked. The grocery stores are closing earlier and even some conbinis are completely closed all day. Today, I went to the Softbank shop and walked that long...walk back to my apartment, and walked past a McDonald's and even that was closed.
same situation, same thing im worried about and i think i just got my sign
U.S. shows growing alarm over Japan nuclear crisis - Yahoo! News
They are providing aircrafts for american citizens to consider leaving... in places in tokyo, nagoya, around the plant, those since im in kyoto im fine but for how long... I feel for the people who live there and i really want to know the truth about what happening...i wont worry right now, but i will continue to pack.

Thank you guys for offering your assisting in offering me a place to stay, i think i might take a trip to south korean or go to kyushu or something...im really not ready to go now. I so i will wait it out...for now

need to go get a re-entry permit

Check out my VBlog to Japan Fall 2010- Spring 2011...The adventure HAS ALREADY STARTED CHECK IT OUT!http://www.youtube.com/user/mousee09
(#22 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
03-17-2011, 07:55 AM

I was actually planning on going to Sendai tomorrow and getting my re-entry permit...until all this stuff happened. I don't even know how to go about getting one now. I forgot how.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Smile crisis - 03-17-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousee09 View Post
same situation, same thing im worried about and i think i just got my sign
U.S. shows growing alarm over Japan nuclear crisis - Yahoo! News
They are providing aircrafts for american citizens to consider leaving... in places in tokyo, nagoya, around the plant, .
So, let'em run.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
mousee09 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-17-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by termogard View Post
So, let'em run.
...ok.

Check out my VBlog to Japan Fall 2010- Spring 2011...The adventure HAS ALREADY STARTED CHECK IT OUT!http://www.youtube.com/user/mousee09
(#25 (permalink))
Old
junicorn (Offline)
New to JF

03-17-2011, 01:41 PM

I am leaving because my mom is freaked out. I live in Saitama. I bought a round trip ticket though, and I plan on coming back in a few weeks. I doubt it will be so bad. At least I hope..
(#26 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-17-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousee09 View Post
I am in the process of packing and shipping thing back home, but i honestly dont want to go. I only been here 6 months but is suppose stay for 11 months but everyone in my dorm is leaving to go home. I dont want to wait until its too late but I want to leave hastily...i dont know what to do at this point.

What have you guys decided to do?
I am staying because I prefer to use my brain to make decisions. Instead of listening to media hype and bullshit (which is why some sheeple are leaving.. an irrational fear brought to you by the BBC, CNN, and whoever else).

Looking at radiation levels as of now there is nothing to fear where I live about (240 miles from the plant). And honestly, unless a total meltdown like chernobyl happens I do not see levels getting high enough to be of any worry. And even if that does happen I still doubt Tokyo will be in any serious trouble--(from what I have researched from facts, not shitty journalism news stories.)
(#27 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-17-2011, 02:45 PM

I'm not currently there, so maybe my opinion doesn't count for much, but I'd probably stay. It hasn't changed my plans to work there next year at all either, just made me rethink about the Tohoku region . . .

Personally if you spend so long wishing to go a country, then spend time and money settling in, and - most importantly - you enjoy living there, then why head back? It seems rather flakey. It's like hitting a touch patch and giving up, and if you give up then how much did the dream really mean to you to begin with? If you're in Sendai or Fukushima, hard hit areas, if you're homeless or in an extremely dangerous area, then sure, get up and leave . . . no one should stay in a place where they aren't safe. Just why leave otherwise? It's not all of Japan that's in danger, just certain areas. America has had earthquakes, England hurricanes . . . no one said 'everyone in the entire country, go back to where you came from, it's not safe!'. Why do they say this for Japan?
(#28 (permalink))
Old
mousee09 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-17-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
Personally if you spend so long wishing to go a country, then spend time and money settling in, and - most importantly - you enjoy living there, then why head back? It seems rather flakey. It's like hitting a touch patch and giving up, and if you give up then how much did the dream really mean to you to begin with? If you're in Sendai or Fukushima, hard hit areas, if you're homeless or in an extremely dangerous area, then sure, get up and leave . . . no one should stay in a place where they aren't safe. Just why leave otherwise? It's not all of Japan that's in danger, just certain areas. America has had earthquakes, England hurricanes . . . no one said 'everyone in the entire country, go back to where you came from, it's not safe!'. Why do they say this for Japan?
I agree with you fully on this one.Most of the exchange students here are leaving basic on the fact they really dont like it here or are still homesick. So they use this as an opportunity to return, but im not that i really like japan and wish to extend my stay here further if possible.
Anyway as of right now im staying.

(#29 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
03-17-2011, 03:57 PM

While I am disappointed to see the U.S. join other nations in endorsing the evacuation of their citizens because it just fuels the negativity and sources of disinformation, I understand it.

To save face in the political arena, the rest of the major world powers have to at least offer that option or risk being accused of abandoning their citizens in the face of a crisis. Think how fast China started their evacuation plans last week.

At least there is a temporary upside, though small. With people who do not need to be there and may have needed assistance because of unfamiliarity with the language, culture or navigation, the services they would have used can be redirected to other, more important needs of the moment.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
Yumene (Offline)
New to JF

03-17-2011, 06:26 PM

Moving to Japan is still a dream of mine that I want to hold on to. We were on vacation in Kansas when this happened, my friend has the news station on and then out of no where the screen quickly went to footage from Japan after it hit.

We all just widened our eyes starring at the screen, after a bit my fiancée turned to me "And you want to live there?"

Of course I do, Japan is a wonderful country and I know they will get through this. But I don't think he actually does want to move down there ...

I have yet to even visit Japan ... but yet all of my close friends have all been to Japan at least once ... even my fiancée >.<

Eventually, before moving I want to go to Genki School (Genki Japanese and Culture School: Learn Japanese with the Best: Study Abroad at Fukuoka's top Japanese language schools) too; I need to learn more Japanese too. I've only done Japanese Level 1 at my college

Last edited by Yumene : 03-17-2011 at 06:29 PM.