JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Mehran (Offline)
New to JF

Post Are people in Japan taking in people from tsunami hit areas? - 03-17-2011, 09:20 PM

I am from Iran, when the war broke out with Iraq there were hundreds of thousands of people who became homeless in matter of days. We had no system to provide for these people, but every family took a family as their guests till there were places for these families to go. We shared our food and space with them and that helped us to go through this. I wonder if Japanese are doing the same thing in southern provinces? I don't see it on TV, but I hope such an action is in place. I hope that great nation would overcome this hardship as soon as possible. Our prayers are with you.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-17-2011, 09:24 PM

According to the reports on the numbers of people in refugee centers, it doesn't sound like much of that is happening.... yet anyways....
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-17-2011, 09:28 PM

Sharing is an important part of the culture in Japan, but culturally it is hard for people to take in strangers often for no other reason than there literally isn't the space. In Tokyo, often one's living room becomes a dining room by dinner and a bedroom at night. Families are most often helpful to family members in need, and if there was a displaced person with family in Tokyo or where ever, I am sure they would not be left on the streets. If people are staying in refugee centers, it is probably because they either have no family to go to, or have no means to get to them.

It is interesting to hear of that side of Iran's culture.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
tenmins (Offline)
JF Regular

03-18-2011, 03:10 AM

That is a very interesting question Mehran, and the point that MMM makes is true about lack of living space in Tokyo. I wonder, however, whether people are doing such a thing up north near Sendai and the other affected areas. Outside of the mega cities houses are usually a lot bigger (though still small by other countrys' standards). Some cluey journalist should do a story on this. If Japanese people are welcoming strangers into their houses that would be big news in Japan. Japanese people are very hospitable to strangers who are friends of friends and the like but to welcome in complete strangers is something I haven't heard of before.

Less is more...

http://www.tenmins.com
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-18-2011, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenmins View Post
Japanese people are very hospitable to strangers who are friends of friends and the like but to welcome in complete strangers is something I haven't heard of before.
Yes, I have experienced this both first and second hand. I have seen Japanese take in cousins they have never met before and friends of friends who need a hand, but complete strangers seems rare.

I was watching one tv show with Tokoro George and they sent some minor talento with a camera crew to a remote area of Hokkaido or northern Honshu with only like 300 yen a day or something. I think the first night he spent the night in the park because he couldn't find someone to put him up for the night (even with a camera crew in tow). The next night he knocked on dozens of doors, but finally found a home that let him stay for a night or two (in exchange for working around the house and farm).
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

03-18-2011, 04:12 AM

That happened with Katrina too, several other cities absorbed the displaced population.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
tenmins (Offline)
JF Regular

03-18-2011, 05:18 AM

I've been having a check for articles on Japanese housing strangers as a result of the earthquake / tsunami but no luck so far. But I did find this interesting article about the Australian government proposing 6 months accommodation for up to 5000 Japanese refugees across the north of Australia.
I imagine many countries are considering this kind of assistance.

Japanese refugee plan to go before Prime Minister Julia Gillard | Herald Sun

Less is more...

http://www.tenmins.com
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-18-2011, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzorian View Post
That happened with Katrina too, several other cities absorbed the displaced population.
I am not sure that was the question. Surely cities can absorb displaced populations, we saw that in Kobe in 1995. The question is will individuals take strangers into their homes.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-18-2011, 07:40 AM

I am not hearing much about people taking complete and total strangers into their homes, but tons about people taking relatives, friends, and relatives of friends into their homes.

Right now it`s more about even getting the people out of the area and to other cities that weren`t hit. They`re having trouble getting supplies up there - travel isn`t exactly easy.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)

03-18-2011, 08:11 AM

Transport remains the main obstacle. There are no trains or buses, and as you can see for the video footage, there are not so many cars left either, even if there were roads to drive them on.

Also, many people are reluctant to leave their hometowns, even though there is nothing left, and others won't leave until their lost family members are accounted for.

Many will eventually move to other places, but most will likely not go far. Plans are already being considered, and something will be figured out.