(#81 (permalink))
Old
Lien (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Lien
04-06-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
To be honest, i didn't know the meaning of Weeaboos until recently. Though, most people I saw (not just this forum) and talked to, who fantasized about Japan are well over 16, some are in the mid 20s. They all share one common background: Growing up with manga, anime, video games, toys and other form of "Entertainment" from Japan. A lot of them based their knowledge of Japan on these exposure without exploring further in to the country, its history, language, people etc etc, their view are trapped by a fabricated world that these media present.

It wasn't too long ago when I replied to a thread on this forum, an adult martial artist who want to go to Japan to train for a year. Sounds good? Until he said he want to find the "real master" that live and train deep in the mountain woods.... This person, sound sane and all, and is an adult....

I have a Friend (Irish dude), my age - mid 30s, who once told me that he want to visit Japan with me because "Japan seems so cool with its robot and sh!t", up to this day, we still make fun of him for that comment, and he admitted he wasn't joking, he seriously thought that Japan has Gundam size robot that does "crap"
Well I learned the word yesterday by reading this thread
Yeah ok older people can act the same way, most of them are just geeks
Media forms our minds, no ? They teach us in school about other countries and as kids we just believe everything that is being told to us. I bet you too associate countries with stuff, it's only after researching and living in a country that you can really tell what it's like and it'll still be your opinion.
A friend of mine loves Japan as much as I do, he went there two years ago I think and he loved it so it's not a rule that it's going to dissapoint you.
And another example : I love Canada so much and I had all these ideas about it, I hadn't been there for 7 years but when I arrived it felt like home and no dissapointment at all.

(#82 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-06-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
For those who say they wish to go or live in japan, what do you think you will find there?

Some Utopia? Especially since the recent disaster.

I will find/have found exactly what I was thinking: a vacation spot.

I'm too old to change my ways and pack up to move somewhere I can't afford. My medical condition doesn't prevent my moving, it just would make things more difficult. I did have a passing fancy about living there if I were financially well off. That was just a passing fancy, really. I don't have any skills the Japanese would view as necessary for a work visa.

So it's come down to Japan being a tourist destination for me. I try to save as much as I comfortably can so I can make it there every few years. Though the last two trips were only for 10 days in country, I try to see as much as I can. For next year's trip, I want to save up a bit more so I can spend perhaps three weeks there. I despise hot weather, and I've had awfully hot and humid summers there in northern Tohoku even. So when I go, I want to be comfortable. Last October was still too warm for my liking, so I'll go in November. The previous time was in March, so while I was wearing a light jacket (I live in Chicago after all), all the people I saw had winter coats. I have no high expectations of the country, though every day I see something that amazes me, mostly in a positive way.

Perhaps it's an age and maturity thing, but I know my place and my limitations, so I just see Japan as a destination that makes me tranquil while I'm there because I don't have a care in the world. Could I have the same from just about any destination? Perhaps, but one thing I didn't feel there at all was threatened in any way, making that a plus on my book. Crime and violence is not as prevalent as in other countries, so that makes me more at ease.

I try to be a good tourist and obey all the laws and customs I am aware of. I don't make any waves and am as friendly to the native population as I possibly can. I feel if I do that, I'm going to get the best treatment. I know some people won't approach foreigners for whatever reason, but I don't hold it against them. I just treasure and value those who do that much more. I'm not the only one on holiday there, so if I see others, I don't get disgusted or discouraged. I don't freak out if I see another foreigner and treat them like a long friend in a foreign land. If I do hear someone speaking my Spanish (from Spain), I may get closer and ask where they are from. If they live in my hometown, I may have a short "it's a small world!" moment with myself, but that's all.

In summation, I have a healthy view of what to expect and, since I've been there before, quite a realistic one at that.

Last edited by JohnBraden : 04-06-2011 at 06:14 PM.
(#83 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

04-06-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lien View Post
I bet you too associate countries with stuff, it's only after researching and living in a country that you can really tell what it's like and it'll still be your opinion.
Absolutely, and thats what I am saying too, too many kids (Adult alike) are obsessed with Japan when the only exposure they have are the wrong kind of media. The obsession stem from a prior hobby, they fail to do more research in the country (all aspect: the REAL culture, its people, transportation, political structure, climate, living standard, history, etc etc etc). Many of them have never visited Japan, don't even know what its really like there.

Thats the type of people that piss me off the most.... The unrealists (i know, no such word, but you get the idea)

and you like Canada huh? I don't mind it, I've been here well over 20 years, but can't say I love it...
(#84 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

04-06-2011, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
I will find/have found exactly what I was thinking: a vacation spot.

I'm too old to change my ways a pack up to move somewhere I can't afford. My medical condition doesn't prevent my moving, it just would make things more difficult. I did have a passing fancy about living there if I were financially well off. That was just a passing fancy, really. I don't have any skills the Japanese would view as necessary for a work visa.

So it's come down to Japan being a tourist destination for me. I try to save as much as I comfortably can so I can make it there every few years. Though the last two trips were only for 10 days in country, I try to see as much as I can. For next year's trip, I want to save up a bit more so I can spend perhaps three weeks there. I despise hot weather, and I've had awfully hot and humid summers there in northern Tohoku even. So when I go, I want to be comfortable. Last October was still too warm for my liking, so I'll go in November. The previous time was in March, so while I was wearing a light jacket (I live in Chicago after all), all the people I saw had winter coats. I have no high expectations of the country, though every day I see something that amazes me, mostly in a positive way.

Perhaps it's an age and maturity thing, but I know my place and my limitations, so I just see Japan as a destination that makes me tranquil while I'm there because I don't have a care in the world. Could I have the same from just about any destination? Perhaps, but one thing I didn't feel there at all was threatened in any way, making that a plus on my book. Crime and violence is not as prevalent as in other countries, so that makes me more at ease.

I try to be a good tourist and obey all the laws and customs I am aware of. I don't make any waves and am as friendly to the native population as I possibly can. I feel if I do that, I'm going to get the best treatment. I know some people won't approach foreigners for whatever reason, but I don't hold it against them. I just treasure and value those who do that much more. I'm not the only one on holiday there, so if I see others, I don't get disgusted or discouraged. I don't freak out if I see another foreigner and treat them like a long friend in a foreign land. If I do hear someone speaking my Spanish (from Spain), I may get closer and ask where they are from. If they live in my hometown, I may have a short "it's a small world!" moment with myself, but that's all.

In summation, I have a healthy view of what to expect and, since I've been there before, quite a realistic one at that.
How old are you John? I am with you on that, though for me, its not the age thing, I just don't think I can move there and have the same kind of life I have now, definitely won't be driving 100K cars and 400K house, i will have to re-establish everything again.. I am spoiled by the luxury i currently have. That and also, after witness how hard my uncle and cousin has to work daily, I just don't think i am ready for it.

So, like yourself, I will keep myself to perform the duty of a "Local tourist"
(#85 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

04-06-2011, 04:27 PM

One thing I've never understood is why people think that Japan is expensive. Compared to Australia I have found living in Japan to be incredibly cheap. Housing here is ridiculously cheap. In some areas they practically give land away to stop towns becoming ghost towns. The house I bought here was at a cost that would barely even get you a dog house in the middle of the outback in Australia. Nearly all food items and nearly anything else is cheaper here than back in Aus. So if you think Japan is expensive I don't suggest you ever go to Australia!
(#86 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

04-06-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
One thing I've never understood is why people think that Japan is expensive. Compared to Australia I have found living in Japan to be incredibly cheap. Housing here is ridiculously cheap. In some areas they practically give land away to stop towns becoming ghost towns. The house I bought here was at a cost that would barely even get you a dog house in the middle of the outback in Australia. Nearly all food items and nearly anything else is cheaper here than back in Aus. So if you think Japan is expensive I don't suggest you ever go to Australia!
That depends on the area man, are you talking purely about Hokkaido? The last I check, 3000 Mil Yen can only get you a very small size place. You can easily get a 1600 sq feet town house with a garage, 3 bedroom and a basement here in Canada.... Rent is also pretty bad, though i am talking about the area around Yokohama and Tokyo

EDIT: That said, I also agree that Japan is not really that expensive, everything cost slightly higher (Not food, food is cheaper there, and toys too), but otherwise, I think its comparable to living in Canada

Last edited by godwine : 04-06-2011 at 04:36 PM.
(#87 (permalink))
Old
Lien (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Lien
04-06-2011, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
Well it sure is expensive to get there from here

(#88 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-06-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lien View Post
Well it sure is expensive to get there from here
A two-way ticket costs around £1000, depending on the season. If you save only £100 a month then that's only ten months until you have enough to travel there.

This logic can also be applied to any currency
(#89 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

04-06-2011, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
A two-way ticket costs around £1000, depending on the season. If you save only £100 a month then that's only ten months until you have enough to travel there.

This logic can also be applied to any currency
Departing from where? Thats pretty expensive.

I never paid more than 1000 canadian $ for round trip to Tokyo. You guys should check with IACE travel, they have brances everywhere, I always have good discounts from them
(#90 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

04-06-2011, 04:56 PM

And if you think 1000 pounds is a lot of money then I guess I can see how you can think Japan is expensive