LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

06-25-2011, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
They do if they don`t shave, wax, or remove it in some other way. It`s normal, and everyone just takes care of it.

---

Back on topic - one of the first things that struck me as being incredibly different - people riding their bicycles... with umbrellas.
That was my big culture shock moment.
A few girls I've met admitted to getting very expensive full-body laser hair removal, like permanent.

Speaking of bikes.
Girls riding bikes in miniskirts, that shocked me culturally, in a good way

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-25-2011, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
A few girls I've met admitted to getting very expensive full-body laser hair removal, like permanent.
It`s not at all uncommon. There are a lot of laser based treatments - some can even be done at home - to reduce the thickness and number of hairs. Hairiness is a big taboo, so girls do make sure to take care of it.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

06-25-2011, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Hairiness is a big taboo
And that's why I'm always a little uneasy about onsen and sento.
I know it's more for women than men.
But the average western guy is a lot more hairy than the average Japanese dude.

I've got more hair on my legs than the entire male side of my gf's family has on their entire body! That's not even getting into chest and arm-hair...

Oh and in case any western woman is reading this;
That feeling American guys get when they see French women with armpit hair, that's very similar to how Japanese guys feel when they see the hairy arms peach fuzz on western women

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

06-25-2011, 06:31 AM

Quote:
And that's why I'm always a little uneasy about onsen and sento.
I know it's more for women than men.
But the average western guy is a lot more hairy than the average Japanese dude.
For guys, I don`t really think anyone is going to care. There isn`t really a culture of body shaving for men, so at the worst they`ll just think that you`re, well, hairy. More along the lines of noticing the hair rather than being repulsed by it.

My husband is very hairy for a Japanese guy. He has hairy legs, and actually has a patch of chest hair.

Quote:
Oh and in case any western woman is reading this;
That feeling American guys get when they see French women with armpit hair, that's very similar to how Japanese guys feel when they see the hairy arms peach fuzz on western women
I came to Japan early enough, and had other things to worry about before coming over here, that I never really noticed things like this until I made later trips back as an independent adult.
I use an epilator on my arms, legs, and armpits. I shave my face with tiny little facial razors. It`s not because I am particularly hairy, have a mustache, beard, or anything like that - but because it`s what everyone does. Peach fuzz on the face is a no-go in Japan.
On visits to the US or on meeting up with other foreign women, it really is something you notice. It stands out. I can`t imagine having fur on my arms (even if it`s thin and blonde), but it seems to be something totally normal outside Japan. I also hate those tiny tiny hairs on the face, particularly because I rarely wear makeup so suck at putting it on - those tiny tiny hairs make it all the harder so I shave them off... But I`ve seen women with what look like full out sideburns who are shocked at the very idea of shaving their face. There has actually been talk of it being a pride thing - western women don`t drop to the level of shaving their faces, blah blah blah. Japanese women do it though, so I`ve never really thought too deeply about it and just go with the flow of where I actually live.

Last edited by Nyororin : 06-25-2011 at 06:34 AM.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

06-25-2011, 06:48 AM

Quote:
For guys, I don`t really think anyone is going to care. There isn`t really a culture of body shaving for men, so at the worst they`ll just think that you`re, well, hairy. More along the lines of noticing the hair rather than being repulsed by it.

My husband is very hairy for a Japanese guy. He has hairy legs, and actually has a patch of chest hair.

I came to Japan early enough, and had other things to worry about before coming over here, that I never really noticed things like this until I made later trips back as an independent adult.
I use an epilator on my arms, legs, and armpits. I shave my face with tiny little facial razors. It`s not because I am particularly hairy, have a mustache, beard, or anything like that - but because it`s what everyone does. Peach fuzz on the face is a no-go in Japan.
On visits to the US or on meeting up with other foreign women, it really is something you notice. It stands out. I can`t imagine having fur on my arms (even if it`s thin and blonde), but it seems to be something totally normal outside Japan. I also hate those tiny tiny hairs on the face, particularly because I rarely wear makeup so suck at putting it on - those tiny tiny hairs make it all the harder so I shave them off... But I`ve seen women with what look like full out sideburns who are shocked at the very idea of shaving their face. There has actually been talk of it being a pride thing - western women don`t drop to the level of shaving their faces, blah blah blah. Japanese women do it though, so I`ve never really thought too deeply about it and just go with the flow of where I actually live.
A patch of chest hair.... the only part without hair on my chest is my nipples.

The first time I went back to Canada was about 2 years after being in Japan.
Honestly I didn't notice the absence of body and face hair when I got to Japan, but when I visited Canada again, it was like ... eewwwwww gross.... and one of the girls at the airport in Canada wasn't wearing make-up and that surprised me too. Oh and she wasn't wearing a tight skirt! Reverse culture shock lol...

I met an average western woman in Japan too just walking around, from a distance she seemed normal, but when I got nearer and started chatting, it was like... peach fuzz blowing in the wind and she was about 2 times bigger than the average Japanese woman beside her, in every way. I actually felt average size again haha.

In Canada I'm not tall, just average, 180cm. Most my friends are taller and heavier than me. But in Japan I'm bigger than the 95th percentile of people I come across, this woman reminded me of my position in the west lol.

Nyororin, if you're a bigger woman, how do Japanese people feel around you?
I understand what kind of impression taller/bigger men get, but how about women? If you're not bigger, do you know anyways?

(#26 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

06-25-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
A patch of chest hair.... the only part without hair on my chest is my nipples.
No personal offense intended, but profuse body hair creeps me out. I can`t ever recall finding it anything... good. My husband is really at the top of my tolerance level.

Quote:
and one of the girls at the airport in Canada wasn't wearing make-up and that surprised me too. Oh and she wasn't wearing a tight skirt! Reverse culture shock lol...
I`ve actually found it easier to get away without much/any makeup in Japan than elsewhere. I have fairly decent and clear skin with no wrinkles or blemishes (probably because I avoid makeup). I am also pretty lucky to have visible eyelashes and eyebrows that don`t have to be primped to look alright. On trips to the US, it seems like there is a tendency to go for visibly gaudy makeup rather than natural stuff. I know there is some gaudy stuff in Japan, but once past a certain age you don`t see it. In the US, there were 40+ year old women with bright and vibrant eye shadow... And it was normal.

With the skirts - I think that skirts in general are far far more common in Japan. Miniskirts are a certain age range, but skirts altogether are much more common here (as are dresses).

Quote:
Nyororin, if you're a bigger woman, how do Japanese people feel around you?
I understand what kind of impression taller/bigger men get, but how about women? If you're not bigger, do you know anyways?
I`m definitely not tall - 159cm / 5'3"(I think?) - so have no idea how it feels to tower above people.
I`m chubby by Japanese standards, but average by US standards. :P (Which is kind of a mystery as it certainly doesn`t have to do with diet - i eat the same things as everyone else, and a lot less than my ultra-thin friends. They can suck down enough to feed my whole family in one sitting...)

My MIL (also chubby by Japanese standards - we could share clothes if I didn`t have a larger bust) thought it was hilarious that she was able to shop in the "petit" section on a visit to the US.

(#27 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

06-25-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
No personal offense intended, but profuse body hair creeps me out. I can`t ever recall finding it anything... good. My husband is really at the top of my tolerance level.

I`ve actually found it easier to get away without much/any makeup in Japan than elsewhere. I have fairly decent and clear skin with no wrinkles or blemishes (probably because I avoid makeup). I am also pretty lucky to have visible eyelashes and eyebrows that don`t have to be primped to look alright. On trips to the US, it seems like there is a tendency to go for visibly gaudy makeup rather than natural stuff. I know there is some gaudy stuff in Japan, but once past a certain age you don`t see it. In the US, there were 40+ year old women with bright and vibrant eye shadow... And it was normal.

With the skirts - I think that skirts in general are far far more common in Japan. Miniskirts are a certain age range, but skirts altogether are much more common here (as are dresses).

I`m definitely not tall - 159cm / 5'3"(I think?) - so have no idea how it feels to tower above people.
I`m chubby by Japanese standards, but average by US standards. :P (Which is kind of a mystery as it certainly doesn`t have to do with diet - i eat the same things as everyone else, and a lot less than my ultra-thin friends. They can suck down enough to feed my whole family in one sitting...)

My MIL (also chubby by Japanese standards - we could share clothes if I didn`t have a larger bust) thought it was hilarious that she was able to shop in the "petit" section on a visit to the US.
No offense taken, until I had more of it I also felt too much body hair was gross. Most of my girlfriends have taken manners into their own hands and shaved or trimmed my chest-forest down lol.

In Canada there's heaps of women who wear no make-up regardless of how beautiful or not they are.
In Japan I get the sense that a woman who shows up to work without make-up has done something rude or untoward.

(#28 (permalink))
Old
NewJapanFan (Offline)
New to JF

07-07-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihonguchi View Post
I'm very impressed for your reply. I learned there are so many differences between Japan and the States

These are some strange things for me:
・American guys are very gentle to others, when someone is behind a guy, he waits for its person with a door open.
・Many people have their own cars.(maybe, it's because of very huge country and little public transportations)
・Roads are usually very wide and many traffic lanes for same direction.
・When they walk pass their acquaintance,they immediately start short conversations with "How are you?" or "What's up?" even if they are busy or not so close acquaintance.
・Some rules are very different from other states.
・There are many Starbucks in cities.
・Taxis are always yellow.
・Many people are very frank to others.
・Girls don't shave off their arm hair.

You know, there are a lot of interesting things for me
Hi nihonguchi,
Which of the things you mentioned (and maybe some you didn't mention here) would you like to transfer to your country?
And, the other way around - which Japanese habits would you gladly transfer to other countries?
(#29 (permalink))
Old
tokusatsufan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-07-2011, 09:48 PM

I'm not planning to grow a beard but there's nothing wrong with sneaking a bit in there.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-07-2011, 10:54 PM

I'd like to comment on the hugging discussion we have going. Of my native Japanese friends (2 of them male, 5 female) when greeting in Japan and in England, 6 of them went in for a hug before I ever did. Maybe it's because they think that spikey Brit would pounce on them if they weren't ready for it lol. Saying that though, I'm a very huggy person... Maybe they saw how I treat my other friends and assumed it was the norm?

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me