JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: Do you like tattoos?
Yes, I think tattoos can look great. 57 62.64%
No, I think that tattoos are nasty scars. 2 2.20%
Maybe, occasionally I've seen a good tattoo and it's cool but mostly they are rubbish. 32 35.16%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#161 (permalink))
Old
NYharuko (Offline)
New to JF

japanese tattoo - 04-04-2008, 03:27 PM

In a few weeks I will be getting a tattoo of my middle name- Haruko.
I would like it written in japanese but I would like to make sure it is written correctly.
can someone please help me?
thank you
(#162 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

04-04-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYharuko View Post
In a few weeks I will be getting a tattoo of my middle name- Haruko.
I would like it written in japanese but I would like to make sure it is written correctly.
can someone please help me?
thank you
春子
はる子
晴子
治子

These are all read 'Haruko' and there can be some more ways to write it, too. Only you should know which one is appropriate since you say it's your middle name.
(#163 (permalink))
Old
auran (Offline)
< J Rocker :3

Send a message via ICQ to auran Send a message via AIM to auran Send a message via Yahoo to auran Send a message via Skype™ to auran
04-04-2008, 04:01 PM

there is a thread somewhere here that you could ask this its in a tatoo thread
just trying to help

The Otakus Crew!!
Join the Otakus Forum
(#164 (permalink))
Old
anrakushi (Offline)
草上之风必偃

04-04-2008, 11:28 PM

im a bit baffled, you say it is your middle name but you don't know how to write it? haruko is a japanese name but i guess it could be a name in other languages. surely if it is a japanese name given to you as your middle name your parents would know the characters they chose for it??
(#165 (permalink))
Old
NYharuko (Offline)
New to JF

04-05-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrakushi View Post
im a bit baffled, you say it is your middle name but you don't know how to write it? haruko is a japanese name but i guess it could be a name in other languages. surely if it is a japanese name given to you as your middle name your parents would know the characters they chose for it??
It is my middle name, my grandmother named me. She is Japanese but since coming to the U.S over 60 years ago she has forgotten her native language and how to write it
trust me I wish she could have taught me the language and more about the culture.
anyway thanks for the help everyone
(#166 (permalink))
Old
NYharuko (Offline)
New to JF

04-05-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
春子
はる子
晴子
治子

These are all read 'Haruko' and there can be some more ways to write it, too. Only you should know which one is appropriate since you say it's your middle name.
Thanks for the help but i'm a little confused. There are many different ways to write Haruko? Since I can't get any help from my grandmother about her naming me (she has forgotten japanese and plus she is not doing good, health wise) how would I find out which one to use?
could I just pick anyone?
(#167 (permalink))
Old
anrakushi (Offline)
草上之风必偃

04-05-2008, 12:36 PM

you can pick any one you like then, if you haven't been given kanji already

in all of these 子 = child so i'll just tell you the others

春子 = spring (as in the season)
はる子 = this is hiragana so no meaning, personally wouldn't choose this one
晴子 = clear up/clear
治子 = reign; be at peace; calm down; subdue; quell; govt; cure; heal; rule; conserve

there are others that are not regular/common and Japanese might find hard to read correctly such as 美子 (the first character means beautiful but to read it is はる, while it is a documented reading of the character, would be very strange to Japanese from my understanding. i'm sure nagoyankee can confirm that. there is nothing wrong with it though, i know of a child called 青空 which would normally be read あおぞら but he is actually せいき so

at the end of the day it is your choice. copy and past はる into this page: WWWJDIC: Kanji Selection and it will show you the characters that have that pronunciation.
you could also make the name 3 characters は・る・こ so feel free to chuck those sounds into the kanji search engine on that site and come up with a name you like.

Last edited by anrakushi : 04-05-2008 at 12:41 PM.
(#168 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-05-2008, 10:37 PM

I have the opposite reaction. If you are getting a permanent seal on your body in dedication to your legacy of having a Japanese middle name, I would make damn sure it was written the way it is intended, and not just toss はる in a dictionary and add 子 to it.

張る子 would be kind of a funny name.

はるこ is your safest bet, as it is "meaning-free", but no one could tell you that you were wrong.
(#169 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
04-06-2008, 12:07 AM

Could you ask your grandmother what the name's meaning is? At least that way, you can have an idea as to which Kanji to use for it.

Edit: Ignore what I said there. ^^;
(#170 (permalink))
Old
anrakushi (Offline)
草上之风必偃

04-06-2008, 12:48 AM

i couldn't imagine anyone getting 張る子 besides that is assuming NYHaruko would be stupid enough to just choose any character that matches the sounds MMM. i think that is not fair to NYHaruko. I'm sure NYHaruko would pick lovely characters to match the sounds. Obviously finding the intended meaning would be good but i think you are giving NYHaruko much less credit than deserved. はるこ will do the job that is true.
Closed Thread