JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: Do you like tattoos?
Yes, I think tattoos can look great. 57 62.64%
No, I think that tattoos are nasty scars. 2 2.20%
Maybe, occasionally I've seen a good tattoo and it's cool but mostly they are rubbish. 32 35.16%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#181 (permalink))
Old
Tsuzuki (Offline)
冷血の私生児

Send a message via ICQ to Tsuzuki Send a message via MSN to Tsuzuki Send a message via Yahoo to Tsuzuki Send a message via Skype™ to Tsuzuki
04-21-2008, 11:54 AM

*.* wow I love your Tattoo I only have 4 heh but I still want a Dragon =3

ギャー(*0*((◎—————ー(°°; ) スッポヌケ〜
✿ あなた だけ が みれば いい... 狂気と真実は紙一重 ✿

そして坊やは眠りについて 息衝く灰の中の炎ひとつ、ふたつと 浮かぶふくらみ愛しい横顔 大地に垂るる幾千の夢、夢 銀の瞳のゆら(◕‿‿◕ )
It's a thin line between genius and stupidity. Once you cross it there is no going back!! Luckily I have tippex and a pen so I can just redraw it where I like!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA =_=

†♫†
(#182 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
04-21-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eleison View Post
Hi,

I'm a Chinese thats coming to Japan on a business trip during the summer. I know its going to be hot, and I'll probably want to use the swimming pool or a bath house.

I have a large tattoo on my back thats obviously Chinese (chinese characters/chinese depiction of a dragon). I know we and you Japanese have not had the best relationship, so just wondering if I need to know anything before I take off my shirt.

Here's a picture of my tattoo for reference. Sorry for the large picture.
Keep it covered is my advice...

also, yopu have a 0% chance of being allowed anywhere near a swimming pool, hot spring etc. with a tattoo
(#183 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

04-22-2008, 03:40 AM

the tattoo looks cool, but unfortunately, that will hinder you to use public bath houses, onsen or maybe even pools.

Most have a big warning in the entrance that says "NO Tattoo", if there is none, be sure to confirm/ask first ..

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#184 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-22-2008, 03:51 AM

Being Chinese has nothing to do with it. It looks like a yakuza tattoo. You can ask at the front desk (and I would before exposing myself publically at a pool or hot spring) but I am afraid most places will say no.

You can go to the beach, though.
(#185 (permalink))
Old
Nagoyankee (Offline)
中庸を得るのだ~

04-22-2008, 04:25 AM

Public bath houses (銭湯) - No Problem. I don't know why some people have said otherwise. I see guys with much more elaborate tattoos (practically all over their bodies except faces) in these places.

Hot Springs - Problem. But most hotel rooms in hot spring resorts have a private bath in the room.

Swimming Pools - Mostly Impossible. There are exceptions such as the Tokyo Summer Land for one.

Pools at hotels - Utterly impossible.

Beaches/Rivers/Lakes - No problem whatsoever.
(#186 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-22-2008, 04:59 AM

I think it is easy for people to mix up public bath houses and hot springs. As a tourist, he probably won't be going to a public bath...but a hot spring would be a different story.

The bath house is just that, a local public bath. Everyone needs to get clean, so tattoos aren't going to scare people off. Hot springs are more expensive, and are tourist destinations, so keeping them quiet, civil and problem-free is in the owners' best interest. You can't say "No yakuza" so that problem is resolved with "no tattoos".
(#187 (permalink))
Old
nellyaudrey (Offline)
New to JF

tattoos - 04-23-2008, 11:52 PM

is it worse or okay for girls to have tattoos? mine are kinda girly and i didn't think it'd really be a problem for me but if i wear a suit and my shoulders show, will that be bad?

oh, and i'm white as paper and i even look american. Will that make it worse because i know that japanese people might have low opinions of americans alltogether.

i don't know how to upload pictures of my tattoos from my pc, so they're not here. but i have a set of three stars that say Second star to the right, from peter pan, on my collarbone and a sphinx on my shoulder.

thanks!
(#188 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
04-24-2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nellyaudrey View Post
is it worse or okay for girls to have tattoos? mine are kinda girly and i didn't think it'd really be a problem for me but if i wear a suit and my shoulders show, will that be bad?

oh, and i'm white as paper and i even look american. Will that make it worse because i know that japanese people might have low opinions of americans alltogether.

i don't know how to upload pictures of my tattoos from my pc, so they're not here. but i have a set of three stars that say Second star to the right, from peter pan, on my collarbone and a sphinx on my shoulder.

thanks!

ALL tattoos are frowned upon, doesn't matter who you are or what you look like... you could be a 3-year old child and you still wouldn't be allowed into an onsen if you have a tattoo
(#189 (permalink))
Old
laurengl88 (Offline)
JF Regular

04-24-2008, 12:11 AM

yeah, from what I understand, having a tatoo is normally interpretted as being a member of a mafia. I know a guy who got kicked out of one cuz he had small tatoo on his arm so...

you see those birds outside your window? they're stalking you.

I may not be better than you, but you are no better than me.

May you have all you need, and may you never want what you don't need.
(#190 (permalink))
Old
cy1982 (Offline)
New to JF

04-24-2008, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoyankee View Post
Swimming Pools - Mostly Impossible. There are exceptions such as the Tokyo Summer Land for one.
Tokyo Summerland is a nono for skin art now
Closed Thread