JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: Do you like tattoos?
Yes, I think tattoos can look great. 57 62.64%
No, I think that tattoos are nasty scars. 2 2.20%
Maybe, occasionally I've seen a good tattoo and it's cool but mostly they are rubbish. 32 35.16%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#261 (permalink))
Old
kureshinkai (Offline)
New to JF

07-29-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommasi View Post
Don't mix pop stars with yakuzas.

Only reason why they can keep their tattoos are because they are famous.

That's it.

Famous people get away with many things everywhere you are in the world and it is also true in Japan as well.

I'm gonna give it to people straight.

Don't get tattoos if you want to come to Japan.

Or if you already have one, then you are out of luck.
Well I think that's a bit excessive: Don't get tattoos if you want to come to Japan. It's not like I'm walking around shirtless everywhere I go.

An update: I asked two of my friends in Japan about this issue. One lives in the famed onsen mecca of Beppu and the other works in a bathhouse in Kyoto. Both of them gave me some hope.

The friend from Beppu asked around different onsen for my case and he found one place that said they were willing to accommodate since I'm technically a foreigner. My other friend who works in a bathhouse said as long as I manage to cover it with a towel and make sure other patrons don't notice it then I will be fine. Note that she works in a bathhouse and also has a tattoo on her lower back.

Anyways thanks for all the varying opinions. They were all quite useful.
(#262 (permalink))
Old
ARose (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to ARose Send a message via MSN to ARose
07-29-2008, 08:56 PM

Quote:

lol - well it's not like i have a tattoo on my forehead! no one will notice them on my lower back unless i show them. i usually wear longer shirts so they won't even see them if i bend over... i don't think i'm going to get kicked out of the country for having them hahaha

(#263 (permalink))
Old
sillygodxdisco (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to sillygodxdisco
07-30-2008, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Don't mix pop stars with yakuzas.

Only reason why they can keep their tattoos are because they are famous.

That's it.

Famous people get away with many things everywhere you are in the world and it is also true in Japan as well.

I'm gonna give it to people straight.

those bands aren't "pop stars" and i'm not mixing them up .. i know the difference between the two. >_>
i'm just saying that because famous people have a lot of influence on society, that because they have tattoos, japanese people probably don't think they're as taboo as they used to.
and i think the others are right .. if you're always wearing a shirt you should be fine with a tattoo on your lower back or somethng.

"listen a heartless shout listen a heartless cry listen a heartless world"
.. cyclone : 12012 ♪

facebook
&
mixi

girugamesh. rentrer en soi. antic cafe. the gazette. ♥
(#264 (permalink))
Old
tommasi (Offline)
West Tokyo Native

07-30-2008, 02:25 AM

How many average Japanese people have tattoos?

I would say almost none.

Also, you guys are missing one fact.

In Japan, hurting your healthy body that was given by your parents is considered disrespectful to your parents.

That's why yakuzas get one to show that they have no connections to their family members anymore by hurting themselves.

Personally, I don't have problems with tattoos but many people do.

So you can continue to take advices from those hipsters but just be aware that those people do not represent entire Japan and once you get to Japan, you would realize how conservative Japanese society is.

Last edited by tommasi : 07-30-2008 at 02:32 AM.
(#265 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-30-2008, 02:47 AM

As I said, the reason the onsen have the tattoo rule has less to do with the culture of tattoos and has more to do with the culture of yakuza.
(#266 (permalink))
Old
rina26 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-30-2008, 02:49 AM

Quote:
How many average Japanese people have tattoos?

I would say almost none.

Also, you guys are missing one fact.

In Japan, hurting your healthy body that was given by your parents is considered disrespectful to your parents.

That's why yakuzas get one to show that they have no connections to their family members anymore by hurting themselves.

Personally, I don't have problems with tattoos but many people do.

So you can continue to take advices from those hipsters but just be aware that those people do not represent entire Japan and once you get to Japan, you would realize how conservative Japanese society is.
Lol my grandma was excited about my tattoo and even offered to pay for it. Not all Japanese see tattoos as a form of disrespect and not all Japanese will be ok with it. Same thing in the US and anywhere else in the world. In the end who cares? It's your body and you only live once. Every tattoo I have and will have has a personal and deep meaning to me, I'm not one to get spur of the moment meaningless tattoos. They will tell the tale of my life and if I ever end up dead in a duffel bag, it'll be easier to identify me
(#267 (permalink))
Old
rina26 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-30-2008, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
As I said, the reason the onsen have the tattoo rule has less to do with the culture of tattoos and has more to do with the culture of yakuza.
Lol MMM I've seen you copy and paste that many times but it'll never sink in for some people.
(#268 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-30-2008, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henbaka View Post
It's not like they will deny you entry into Japan...

...so if you don't care about onsens and bathing in public, get those tattoos if ye want.
If your tattoos are very visible, such as on your neck, hands, or face, you may very well be denied entry.
(#269 (permalink))
Old
SoundSev3n (Offline)
JF Regular

07-30-2008, 04:22 AM

Quote:

This is a sign from an onsen that basically says "Tattooed people, intoxicated people and gangsters will be refused service."
HAHAHA, is it just me or does that kid LOOK drunk?!

Anyway, I read this thread a few days ago and thought of something.

In a public pool if I put a bandage over on tattoo about 3"X3" would that be acceptable or too obvious? Or would someone complain about a possible open wound which is what I would be TRYING to pass it off as?
(#270 (permalink))
Old
tommasi (Offline)
West Tokyo Native

07-30-2008, 04:28 AM

Quote:
I wasn't talking about just onsen but tattoos in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rina26 View Post
Lol my grandma was excited about my tattoo and even offered to pay for it. Not all Japanese see tattoos as a form of disrespect and not all Japanese will be ok with it.
Yea, you are right.

Not all Japanese but most Japanese.

I guess you know nothing about Japan in depth so it's pointless to talk about it.

Last edited by tommasi : 07-30-2008 at 05:58 AM.
Closed Thread