JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: Do you like tattoos?
Yes, I think tattoos can look great. 57 62.64%
No, I think that tattoos are nasty scars. 2 2.20%
Maybe, occasionally I've seen a good tattoo and it's cool but mostly they are rubbish. 32 35.16%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#331 (permalink))
Old
Sukotto (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Sukotto Send a message via Skype™ to Sukotto
08-03-2008, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aota View Post
Now, I can understand the nautical stars, but seriously? A drunk parrot? o.o
I am Jimmy Buffett fan,

the pics are on my myspace page at myspace.com/ScottBurnham

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukotto View Post
I think tattooed foreigners have no problem going into bath house, etc.. From what I have heard it depends on the type of tattoos you have.
The best thing to do is to ask at at the front.

"Irezumi wa daijyoubu desu ka"

Are tattoos OK?
I will note that! Thanks!
(#332 (permalink))
Old
Aota (Offline)
Sol Rebel

Send a message via AIM to Aota Send a message via MSN to Aota Send a message via Yahoo to Aota Send a message via Skype™ to Aota
08-03-2008, 08:34 AM

Ah! I thought that sounded familiar. xD

The color of the sala flower reveals the truth that is... To flourish is to fall. The proud do not endure.

Heaven or Hell, Let's Rock!

Like a passing dream on a night in Spring. The mighty fall at last, to be no more than dust before the wind.
(#333 (permalink))
Old
rina26 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-11-2008, 02:00 AM

Sorry to bring this thread back up but I just thought of something that never occurred for me to bring up earlier. Let's say you have a very elaborate back piece tattoo but possibly cannot be hidden while unclothed and in a "no tattoo" onsen you can't possibly get away with it. But if it can be easily hidden with clothing why not go in a private onsen? Rent your own room by yourself or with a couple friends and none of the employees or other patrons will see it. You'll still get to enjoy the onsens and keep your tattoos. They have very elaborate private rooms depending on where you go.
(#334 (permalink))
Old
Magen (Offline)
New to JF

08-11-2008, 02:25 AM

...sounds almost hopeless if you have a half sleeve of yokai....

Oedo Onsen Monogatari in Odaiba is, from what I hear, a very tourist friendly place. Do you think they are much more lenient about large tattoos?

Is their a website of an onsens/sentos that allows tattooed patrons?
(#335 (permalink))
Old
joker8880231 (Offline)
JF Regular

08-11-2008, 02:48 AM

My friend has a tatoo and he is going to school in Japan has never been given any trouble just because he has a tatoo.
(#336 (permalink))
Old
Aota (Offline)
Sol Rebel

Send a message via AIM to Aota Send a message via MSN to Aota Send a message via Yahoo to Aota Send a message via Skype™ to Aota
08-11-2008, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joker8880231 View Post
My friend has a tatoo and he is going to school in Japan has never been given any trouble just because he has a tatoo.
It's not necessarily tattoos in school we've been talking about. More along the line of onsens, thanks.

The color of the sala flower reveals the truth that is... To flourish is to fall. The proud do not endure.

Heaven or Hell, Let's Rock!

Like a passing dream on a night in Spring. The mighty fall at last, to be no more than dust before the wind.
(#337 (permalink))
Old
TokyoRain (Offline)
How strong are you now?

Send a message via Yahoo to TokyoRain
08-11-2008, 03:08 AM

I have a question about something, if you were to get a tattoo that was in Japanese that respected the culture (even though that idea blatantly contradicts itself) would there be less of and ordeal about it or no? And what if you got a tattoo in Japan? I have a few friends who have lived in Japan their entire lives and have gotten tattoos in Japan and were still able to go to public bathing houses.

~Tokyo

"If I could follow my heart again it would be yours
with every breath I would find a way to love you more"
~With You by Josh Groban

"With you I have everything I have ever wanted. Simple and true. With loving eyes so beautiful." ~ With You by Josh Groban
(#338 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-11-2008, 03:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoRain View Post
I have a question about something, if you were to get a tattoo that was in Japanese that respected the culture (even though that idea blatantly contradicts itself) would there be less of and ordeal about it or no? And what if you got a tattoo in Japan? I have a few friends who have lived in Japan their entire lives and have gotten tattoos in Japan and were still able to go to public bathing houses.

~Tokyo
Japanese don't tend to use Japanese characters in their tattoos. Mostly tradtional images (gods, samurai, carp, pheonix, etc.)

Every onsen surely has their own policy based on problems they have had to deal with. Ask at the counter so you know for sure.

EDIT: Let me caveat my post by saying "TRADTIONAL Japanese tattoos don't use Japanese characters". Modern-day Japanese (rockers, bikers) who do tattoo lean toward non-traditional Japanese images, but often imitate the Western styles...

Last edited by MMM : 08-11-2008 at 06:21 AM.
(#339 (permalink))
Old
Sukotto (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Sukotto Send a message via Skype™ to Sukotto
08-11-2008, 06:02 AM

^ Good Advise!
(#340 (permalink))
Old
Cruehead (Offline)
New to JF

Post Tattoos in Japanese society - 08-28-2008, 07:52 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm traveling to Japan in October. I heard/saw couple of times, if you got tattoos then you can't go to an onsen, because they will deny you going there. And I really want to enjoy these onsens. Same with some capsule hotels! I know about this Yakuza stuff and the older generations are scared about them. Maybe some of these old-timers are afraid of AIDS or some ink in the water. I don't know what else? What, if I will cover my tattoos with waterproof tape? It's just my right upper arm. It's cartoon and not monster skull or tribal or whatever.

What can you say about this topic. Thanks for your help.

Marco
Closed Thread