Prostak (Offline)
New to JF

06-09-2010, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunowaka View Post
I met West Berg.
He said 西山 by the self introduction.

ヘブライ語でMaayanの名前は水源を意味します。

その名前を持つ外国人が "泉" 漢字を (№ 85.5)使用する ことが できますか 自分の名前を書き込むために?

Last edited by Prostak : 06-09-2010 at 04:00 AM.
(#52 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-09-2010, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
I'm not quite sure what all the fuss is about here... sure some names are quite impossible to write in Kanji, but that's where you just have to get creative. Like for a tee sound you can use 茶 and stuff like that.

And with all due respect to younger people, some of their names are very hard to read as well (kanji wise).

You can always do a hybrid thing like ボブ三郎 or something like that.

I wouldn't think this is anything to get offended about... quite the contrary I think it's all in good fun. I think it's a nice gesture from the topic creator and maybe everyone pood all over it from the start.
My point is kanji are not LEGO blocks you can use as toys to build whatever you want. If that gets people into Japanese, then fine, but eventually they are going to have to learn that this is not how Japanese people see kanji.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
There's actually kind of a weird coincidence with my name, "Dylan."
Dylan is a name of Welsh decent which has several loose translations such as "of the sea," or "son of the sea," etc.

There are some variations for Kanji with the name Dylan, and some of the ones I've seen are:

1: 海: Sea
2: 嵐: Storm (as the second kanji to make up Dylan, the other being 慈, mercy/merciful).

So apparently the actual origin of my name and a few potential kanji that can make up my name both deal with water.
Given 1000 chances, never would I come up with the pronunciation of "Dylan" from those two kanji. That's my point.

You can spell your name Paul as S-T-E-V-E but no one is going to pronounce it "Paul".
(#53 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

06-09-2010, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Given 1000 chances, never would I come up with the pronunciation of "Dylan" from those two kanji. That's my point.
The example I gave was just from the most popular results I've seen. I couldn't tell you any different, as my kanji skills are horrible.
(#54 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-09-2010, 05:07 AM

Quote:
The example I gave was just from the most popular results I've seen. I couldn't tell you any different, as my kanji skills are horrible.
Then my point is made even stronger. The closest pronunciation I might guess is "Kai-Ren" which is nothing like Dylan. If you are finding multiple sources that tell you that "Dylan" is 海嵐 in Japanese it just goes to show how confused people are about kanji usage.

The name Dylan is said to mean "son of the sea" but these two kanji characters mean "ocean storm"...far from the same meaning.

Last edited by MMM : 06-09-2010 at 05:18 AM.
(#55 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

06-09-2010, 05:09 AM

Quote:
It doesn't really have anything to do with your kanji skills because "Dylan" is not even written in kanji in Japan as OP and a couple of others would like to have you believe. Japan is NOT China. 

Dylan = ディラン , period.

Ignore anyone else that tells you otherwise.
(#56 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

06-09-2010, 05:59 AM

Quote:
I'm not quite sure what all the fuss is about here... sure some names are quite impossible to write in Kanji, but that's where you just have to get creative. Like for a tee sound you can use 茶 and stuff like that.

And with all due respect to younger people, some of their names are very hard to read as well (kanji wise).

I wouldn't think this is anything to get offended about... quite the contrary I think it's all in good fun. I think it's a nice gesture from the topic creator and maybe everyone pood all over it from the start.
You don't get offended probably because it isn't your language. Check your own foreign registration card to see if it says ボブ三郎. If it does, Japan must be the country with the best sense of humor.

If this thread were meant to be just fun and games, then OP sure hasn't explained it anywhere and it's certainly placed in the wrong section as this is the Japanese Language Help section. To me, the thread has been neither very educational nor informative. Members with good intentions are getting "names" that basically no one in Japan can read or even recognize as names.
(#57 (permalink))
Old
sunowaka (Offline)
JF Regular

06-09-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prostak View Post
ヘブライ語でMaayanの名前は水源を意味します。

その名前を持つ外国人が "泉" 漢字を (№ 85.5)使用する ことが できますか 自分の名前を書き込むために?
問題ないと思います。より正確に湧泉でもよいと思われ ます。
(#58 (permalink))
Old
sunowaka (Offline)
JF Regular

06-09-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makio View Post
sorry coz i'm still learning japanese hiragana and a little bit of kanji oni so i duno which kanji = yellow. Plus, i duno how yellow in hiragana called what so i tot that one you might understand so i just type in the chinese words. My japanese sensei only taught me the timing ( ex. kin yobi, moku yobi) those thing only so please forgive me ^^
my sir name is ( yellow )
my name is ( world ) i think it might be pronounce as " se kai "
so what name should it be ?
please help me out onegai shimasu !
Sorry I don't understand some abbreviations in your question.Therefor my answer might be mistake.

Yellow is 黄. 黄 is き or おう in hiragana.
World is 世界. 世界 is 世 is せ, 界 is かい in hiragana.
(#59 (permalink))
Old
ishikawa (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-09-2010, 10:04 AM

I wonder if my middle name would be Kanji (It's my grandmother's first name, which is in Kanji due to 1) She is Japanese 2) Her name is Japanese). My last name is also Kanji. But my first is not.
(#60 (permalink))
Old
sunowaka (Offline)
JF Regular

06-09-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:

Thank you.I am happy your understanding.