JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: marilyn manson...love him or hate lim?
love him 37 27.21%
like him 44 32.35%
dislike him 22 16.18%
hate him 25 18.38%
never heard of him 8 5.88%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#161 (permalink))
Old
MazarDantechildofdevil (Offline)
Hmm?

Send a message via MSN to MazarDantechildofdevil
01-11-2008, 01:25 AM

Wow... The things people say about him are really interesting, huh? Go you guys... lol... Marilyn Manson is pretty cool...Bet you don't know where he got his name... ^.^; Do you?

(#162 (permalink))
Old
miyavikuun (Offline)
Disgraceful murder

Send a message via MSN to miyavikuun
01-11-2008, 01:28 AM

yes it said so earlier in this thread but go ahead and share you knowledge and me and my friend we made these water ballons and we named them
brian
Hugh
and Warner
oh yeah

MUFFIN CLUB!!!
Co-Founder and proud Member of the Miyavi Stalking Society
I own Cat from deathstars!!
(#163 (permalink))
Old
Hmm?

01-11-2008, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyavikuun View Post
yes it said so earlier in this thread but go ahead and share you knowledge and me and my friend we made these water ballons and we named them
brian
Hugh
and Warner
oh yeah
O.o... I wasn't here for the earlier births of this thread... Oh well... About how he took Manson from Charles Manson and Marilyn from Marilyn Monroe... ^.^;

(#164 (permalink))
Old
Godzirra (Offline)
New to JF

01-11-2008, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SovereignEvil View Post
Thank you, I do know gothic music since I am a goth myself. And female singers are mostly seen in gothic metal bands, and also symphonic metal, underground gothic rock and darkwave bands have much male singers in deep voices and doesn't need more than four members like most bands to sound good.

Those bands you listed are gothic/doom metal bands and are seen more as a part of metal culture rather than gothic, but that depends on the band itself mostly, of course. Nightwish is the perfect example for setting up the symphonic metal genre (and also adding to the gothic metal) and many gothic metal bands are very inspired by the opera voice of Tarja. For more bands in the gothic subculture you should check out Bauhaus (said to be the first gothic band), Siouxsie And The Banshees, Inkubus Sukkubus, The Crüxshadows and Bella Morte. If you listen to more gothic rock and darkwave with male singers, you'll see it can be pretty similar to some of Manson's songs.

Anyway, it's a question of taste, and everyone to their own.
I am quite enlightened by your knowledge on music, it's quite refreshing actually. My husband got me into goth and metal, i wasn't really much into music at all. My husband grew up during the development of Goth (he's 19yrs older then me and is also still stuck int he 80's haha), i get most of my info from what he has shared (he's also goth) in the past, and what i have learned so far.

Night wish was awesome, but lately their albums have done nothing for my taste. I love the voice of Tarja, but i didn't like her solo album, but i still listened to it just for her voice. The new female vocalist in Night wish has a nice voice, but it really just isn't the same.

Most of the bands you listed, are not quite my taste, and some i wouldn't consider as goth. I still don't see the similarities with Marilyns.It's hard though to fully categorize certain sounds anymore because of so many sub's. I think that it comes down to perception then what the style really is. In some europian countries, what we see as goth is their pop music.

I myself am more of a powermetal head. Some peoples Europian Trash is my Treasure.

I just wanted to mention that your statement about "Those bands you listed are gothic/doom metal bands and are seen more as a part of metal culture rather than gothic,"

You kind of contradicted yourself with saying that they were gothic/doom but then claimed they were more metal then gothic.
Could you clarify this for me, thankzzzz ZZtop.
(#165 (permalink))
Old
Godzirra (Offline)
New to JF

01-11-2008, 02:37 AM

pps. i laugh when rumors are spread about removing ribs to give self oral, especially when it can be done with proper flexibility. I'm sure he could give himself whatever he wanted with after a couple of yoga classes lol
(#166 (permalink))
Old
SovereignEvil (Offline)
J'aime l'esprit foncé

01-11-2008, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzirra View Post
I am quite enlightened by your knowledge on music, it's quite refreshing actually. My husband got me into goth and metal, i wasn't really much into music at all. My husband grew up during the development of Goth (he's 19yrs older then me and is also still stuck int he 80's haha), i get most of my info from what he has shared (he's also goth) in the past, and what i have learned so far.

Night wish was awesome, but lately their albums have done nothing for my taste. I love the voice of Tarja, but i didn't like her solo album, but i still listened to it just for her voice. The new female vocalist in Night wish has a nice voice, but it really just isn't the same.

Most of the bands you listed, are not quite my taste, and some i wouldn't consider as goth. I still don't see the similarities with Marilyns.It's hard though to fully categorize certain sounds anymore because of so many sub's. I think that it comes down to perception then what the style really is. In some europian countries, what we see as goth is their pop music.

I myself am more of a powermetal head. Some peoples Europian Trash is my Treasure.

I just wanted to mention that your statement about "Those bands you listed are gothic/doom metal bands and are seen more as a part of metal culture rather than gothic,"

You kind of contradicted yourself with saying that they were gothic/doom but then claimed they were more metal then gothic.
Could you clarify this for me, thankzzzz ZZtop.
When I say goth I'm talking about the underground subculture, and my point is that gothic metal is a subgenre of metal, not a subgenre of goth, but whether the band is gothic or metal depends on the band's image of course. Nightwish, for an example, is a metal band, while Moi dix Mois (since this is a Japan forum) is more goth. Look at Nightwish and you'll see they don't act or dress as goths, while Moi dix Mois does, therefore Moi dix Mois is gothic and not metal. I know it's confusing. xD

I shouldn't have said that they were more a part of the metal culture, my apologies. If the band dress and act as goths, then they're gothic, if they act otherwise they're metal, that's my point.

If you want to see something gothic that (kinda) sounds like Manson, check out Michelle Darkness' latest (and first) album, Brand New Drug. Here's a video on one of the songs: YouTube - MICHELLE DARKNESS - Pet Sematary (2007)
Now that's goth as it should be in my opinion.

Also, you mentioned some of the bands I posted you didn't consider gothic. Well, whether or not they dress gothic, gothic rock and darkwave is a part of gothic culture, so that automatically makes them gothic.

Of course, EBM and other electronic music also has it's part in gothic culture, but more to the cyber and cyber gothic culture.

I'm only 17 years old, I weren't there in the 80's, and I have only been a goth for 2 years, but I study deep, and draw my own logical conclusions, so I know pretty much anyway.

In music, I go for anything that sounds good, whether it's goth or not. I love Nightwish, I love their new album and vocalist, I even listen to Metallica, Megadeth, Blink 182 and, Hell, I even enjoy listening to Everytime We Touch by Cascada. xD
But gothic music is what attracts me the most.

Last edited by SovereignEvil : 01-11-2008 at 12:41 PM.
(#167 (permalink))
Old
SovereignEvil (Offline)
J'aime l'esprit foncé

01-11-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazarDantechildofdevil View Post
O.o... I wasn't here for the earlier births of this thread... Oh well... About how he took Manson from Charles Manson and Marilyn from Marilyn Monroe... ^.^;
In his biography he tells he saw both Marilyn Monroe and Charles Manson mentioned in the same news cast when he were young, that's how he got the name. It symbolizes that a praised person such as Marilyn Monroe and a hated criminal such as Charles Manson can get exactly the same attention. He continued the trend in the band to a beginning, then it faded away, with names of the other members too, by taking a famous actress or artist first name and the surname of a serial killer; Madonna Wayne Gacy, Ginger Fish, Twiggy Ramirez, Daisy Berkowitz etc. The past guitarist John 5, however, got his name because he was the fifth member to join Marilyn Manson.
Currently, only Manson and Ginger Fish are left in the band to have the old actress-serial killer naming.

(#168 (permalink))
Old
Hmm?

01-11-2008, 09:20 PM

I just reallized... But this thread does need to be moved... To the Japanese Music section... Even if it's not about Japanese person... That's the music section!

Signed,
MazarDante

(#169 (permalink))
Old
animechick101 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to animechick101 Send a message via MSN to animechick101 Send a message via Yahoo to animechick101
01-11-2008, 10:02 PM

If any one hates Marilyn Manson...don't bother
(#170 (permalink))
Old
SovereignEvil (Offline)
J'aime l'esprit foncé

01-13-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazarDantechildofdevil View Post
I just reallized... But this thread does need to be moved... To the Japanese Music section... Even if it's not about Japanese person... That's the music section!

Signed,
MazarDante
True, but it depends on what the moderators think.