JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: marilyn manson...love him or hate lim?
love him 37 27.21%
like him 44 32.35%
dislike him 22 16.18%
hate him 25 18.38%
never heard of him 8 5.88%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#281 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

04-06-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SovereignEvil View Post
Hahaha, just because he's featured there doesn't mean he's into JUST rock, because that was what I said. Media has no idea how to put genres nowadays, you should know that. I saw a review of a Moi dix Mois concert where they called them glam rock when the band clearly plays gothic metal, so my advice is not to trust something from the television.
I know I don't trust everything I see on Television lol. But my point is that he is "mainly" a rock star, is he not? All his genres aren't hip-hop or classical music or country.. or any other sub-genres to do with those. The main title of genre he performs under is "Rock".
I personally don't complicate things. Whether you like NiN, Korn, RATM, System of a Down, Lacuna Coil, The Gathering.. whatever.. it's all Rock to me and I enjoy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
Loads of people do that, it's a great way for people who have been ignored for years to get noticed and get their opinion heard. Maybe that's just how he is anyway? Who knows, either way, it worked.
Lol he's admitted he uses shocking as a way to sell his records and get some "points" across.
I also know others who use the same ploy, mostly in POP these days.
MM is one of the top people i'd say who use that sort of thing and get noticed for it.
My point is, he isn't as successful anymore and people acknowledge that. Perhaps if he was more straight forward with his "points", he'd get popular again.

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers

Last edited by ivi0nk3y : 04-06-2008 at 11:41 AM.
(#282 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

04-06-2008, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivi0nk3y View Post

Lol he's admitted he uses shocking as a way to sell his records and get some "points" across.
I also know others who use the same ploy, mostly in POP these days.
MM is one of the top people i'd say who use that sort of thing and get noticed for it.
My point is, he isn't as successful anymore and people acknowledge that. Perhaps if he was more straight forward with his "points", he'd get popular again.
I can't think of a pop star that uses shock to sell records... most of them conform to get popular, you know, give the people what they want, and be the typical popstar that they are expected to be. If you mean in terms of the media such as scandal and so on, these are two different things.

I was thinking of groups, protesters, like Fathers For Justice who do some pretty radical things to get noticed, also animal rights campaigners who jumped aboard the Japanese whaling boats, they were plastered all over the media, similar to Marilyn Manson when he first released music about sex, drugs and violence. I think his appearance also helped since lots of bands talked about that previously but there wasnt as much hype around them. And maybe because Manson is a bit more blatant than other artists.
(#283 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

04-06-2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
I can't think of a pop star that uses shock to sell records... most of them conform to get popular, you know, give the people what they want, and be the typical popstar that they are expected to be. If you mean in terms of the media such as scandal and so on, these are two different things.

I was thinking of groups, protesters, like Fathers For Justice who do some pretty radical things to get noticed, also animal rights campaigners who jumped aboard the Japanese whaling boats, they were plastered all over the media, similar to Marilyn Manson when he first released music about sex, drugs and violence. I think his appearance also helped since lots of bands talked about that previously but there wasnt as much hype around them. And maybe because Manson is a bit more blatant than other artists.
Well not Shock like MM but all these people like Christina Aguilera or Nelly Furtado, who once have some kind of innocent image and then turn slutty, are using shock tactics.
It depends on the context of course. The more "underground" or non-mainstream you are, the more shock you can put into your material.
I mean have you seen that "Dirty" video by Aguilera? (Who hasn't >.>)
That is POPS version of Shocking people.

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers
(#284 (permalink))
Old
MissMisa (Offline)
Fashion, Games + Art Mod.

04-06-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Well not Shock like MM but all these people like Christina Aguilera or Nelly Furtado, who once have some kind of innocent image and then turn slutty, are using shock tactics.
It depends on the context of course. The more "underground" or non-mainstream you are, the more shock you can put into your material.
I mean have you seen that "Dirty" video by Aguilera? (Who hasn't >.>)
That is POPS version of Shocking people.
Yeah, that was pretty shocking when it came out. I don't know if it was the right thing to do since a lot of Christina's fans were little girls. But it's the same with a lot of female artists anyways.
(#285 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

04-06-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that was pretty shocking when it came out. I don't know if it was the right thing to do since a lot of Christina's fans were little girls. But it's the same with a lot of female artists anyways.
Yea, so Shock value sells and quietly also pushes the boundaries of what is acceptable in POP.
My point is though, you can't have much integrity or longevity as an artist if Shock is all you have. That is exactly what MM does.

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers
(#286 (permalink))
Old
SovereignEvil (Offline)
J'aime l'esprit foncé

04-06-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
I know I don't trust everything I see on Television lol. But my point is that he is "mainly" a rock star, is he not? All his genres aren't hip-hop or classical music or country.. or any other sub-genres to do with those. The main title of genre he performs under is "Rock".
I personally don't complicate things. Whether you like NiN, Korn, RATM, System of a Down, Lacuna Coil, The Gathering.. whatever.. it's all Rock to me and I enjoy it.
Right, he is a rockstar, but I prefer to call him industrial or metal.
And those bands you mentioned, like KorN, System Of A Down, Lacuna Coil, that's metal.

(#287 (permalink))
Old
VampireLover45 (Offline)
New to JF

04-07-2008, 12:44 AM

Long Live Marilyn Manson!!!! He Is The Best Of The Best! All Hail The New King!!! I Love Everything About Him!!!!

Gothica
(#288 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

04-07-2008, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Right, he is a rockstar, but I prefer to call him industrial or metal.
And those bands you mentioned, like KorN, System Of A Down, Lacuna Coil, that's metal.
Korn are Alternative. Lacuna Coil are Gothic. SOAD are Metal.
Its all Rock to me.

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers
(#289 (permalink))
Old
SovereignEvil (Offline)
J'aime l'esprit foncé

04-07-2008, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Korn are Alternative. Lacuna Coil are Gothic. SOAD are Metal.
Its all Rock to me.
Lacuna Coil are not gothic, they are metal. Bauhaus, Virgine Prunes, Alien Sex Fiend and Siouxsie And The Banshees, there you have some goth, nothing like the crap Lacuna Coil makes.
And how the Hell can alternative be called a genre? Crap-bands today play rock, hardcore, emo or metal and they think "Oh, what to call our genre? I know! Alternative, everyone loves that shit!".

Last edited by SovereignEvil : 04-07-2008 at 06:47 AM.
(#290 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

04-07-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Lacuna Coil are not gothic, they are metal. Bauhaus, Virgine Prunes, Alien Sex Fiend and Siouxsie And The Banshees, there you have some goth, nothing like the crap Lacuna Coil makes.
And how the Hell can alternative be called a genre? Crap-bands today play rock, hardcore, emo or metal and they think "Oh, what to call our genre? I know! Alternative, everyone loves that shit!".
Lol, dude I don't care what genre they are or what something falls under. As I said, it's just rock to me.

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers