JRock 111 60.66%
Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#111 (permalink))
Old
MarkDuff (Offline)
*yawns*

12-27-2008, 09:54 PM

I voted for Western Rock because i know more of the bands and i like them a bit better, how ever their are a few Jrock bands that i like

My JF family and D.N.A. And Perv Club. Oh and please sign my Guest book. And please no bad comments
FINAL FANTASY CLAN: CODE NAME: AURON
(#112 (permalink))
Old
minimin (Offline)
Reeta-Leena Korhola

Send a message via AIM to minimin Send a message via MSN to minimin
12-27-2008, 10:18 PM

I Really still like both there are great bands in both areas western and Asian I like both, I mean there are amazing bands in both areas. Now if you listen to most mainstream Western rock you might find alot of Shizz but if you look into those bands you dont see on MTV everyday you can find something good same with Jrock.

Rest in peace Kyle <3
(#113 (permalink))
Old
Arikado (Offline)
Elegant Rocker

Send a message via AIM to Arikado Send a message via MSN to Arikado
12-28-2008, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhantom View Post
I am feeling the music and I know it pretty well. Don't make such assumptions. I wouldn't compare WRock vs JRock if they were to be the same... it's because they differ from each other that this thread is made. Both of them have the rock essence inside, who plays it better is the choice of JF members.
No need to get upset, it was part joke, notice the " ;] " smiley at the end. But only aesthetic comparisons are being made, that's what I'm saying. They're similar because they're both classified as "rock," and that's the only similarity I can see. The reason why it doesn't feel right to compare them is like I said, it's like putting rap and country (sorry for putting those two in the same sentence again) in the same poll, and that's the difference I'm talking about. The die hard fans of each side are parted in the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barone1551 View Post
Well I don't know the answer for sure, but most of the people i know that don't like dragonforce are heavy metal elitist who don't like anything unless it has death metal growls and when it doest have growls it isn't real metal. Which i disagree with completely. I'm just not a huge fan of power metal in general. And I'm not a huge fan of the singer, but not because he is not screaming either. I like plenty of bands with high voices, so its just not the pitch of his voice. Just all I hear when I hear dragonforce is the same power metal song every time. They all sound exactly the same. Really fast guitar, really high power metal voice, lyrics about dragons. Thats what i mean by gimmick, they but on the same act over and over just because they know their fans will suck it up. Not trying to criticize your taste in music (even though thats what im doing lol), because i know lots of the bands i listen too would probably get torn apart by someone. I'm just giving my opinion that is all.
Yeah, and I know a lot of other people hate DragonForce because it makes their favorite bands (particularly metal) look and taste like unflavored mush. About all the songs sounding the same, you need to listen to them more. At first I thought the exact same thing as you. They just sounded fast, and all their songs were the same. I gave it a chance, and after a while I brushed off the dirt and realized, "HOLY SH*T, I JUST DISCOVERED THE MODERN HOLY GRAIL." There are similarities in their songs, as all bands have certain trends and structures that they like to follow, because it defines them and sets them apart from others (most hope, haha).

But there's no doubt the lyrics are a little too much the same, but hey, that's power metal, hahahahah. Sing about dragons, battles, and magic! DragonForce has a more uplifting and encouraging feel to it however, more so than any other thing I've ever listened to. It makes me want to succeed in life and face the new day, forgetting about past troubles. It's really great once you get to know it better.

As for them being just fast, have you looked at any of the tablature? It boggles my mind how complex and rich in technique their guitar parts are. I've been playing guitar for over half my life, and trust me, I have busted my arse on plenty of music in my time, mostly metal, rock and classical, and I've never come across anything as difficult and stressful to play as DragonForce. Not just because it's fast. I can play fast, that's easy. Anybody can play fast if their hands are up to it. Now alternating between double tapping with your fret hand over the fret board, sweeping, flying up and down scales, and throwing in a few pinch harmonics here and there...uhhh, yeah, get back to me in a year of intense practice and I might have the solo down for one song. I am not exaggerating in any way.

Sorry for that being so long, hahah.

Member of the Metal Club
"Ignorance is the night of the mind, but a night without moon and star" -孔夫子
(#114 (permalink))
Old
GhidXoraH (Offline)
Ghidorah The Explorer

12-28-2008, 01:28 AM

It is my opinion that Western rock is better over all. The newer Western rock is not as good as the older stuff, and I would rate it as follows: Old Western Rock, JRock, New Western Rock.

And in regards to Miyavi, he sure knows how to rock the guitar, wow!
(#115 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
12-28-2008, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhidXoraH View Post
And in regards to Miyavi, he sure knows how to rock the guitar, wow!
The acoustic, especially.
(#116 (permalink))
Old
GhidXoraH (Offline)
Ghidorah The Explorer

12-28-2008, 02:37 AM

The acoustic is so great! I am hooked on Miyaviuta. The tapping he does on his guitar is so great!
(#117 (permalink))
Old
Ramones1976 (Offline)

12-28-2008, 04:05 AM

Last edited by Ramones1976 : 05-21-2009 at 07:11 PM.
(#118 (permalink))
Old
KeavyODonagh (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to KeavyODonagh Send a message via MSN to KeavyODonagh Send a message via Yahoo to KeavyODonagh
12-29-2008, 12:17 AM

I like both. Its too hard to decide when you admire both.

Lizi Cullen's the name
(#119 (permalink))
Old
kouichisan (Offline)
おす!

12-29-2008, 01:01 AM

-----------------------------

Last edited by kouichisan : 02-18-2016 at 12:04 AM.
(#120 (permalink))
Old
lizzey (Offline)
Banned

12-29-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeavyODonagh View Post
I like both. Its too hard to decide when you admire both.

Me too. Is hard for me to pick which one I like the best.

Western and J-rock has its own uniqueness.