sorry TKD not tod the auto complete feature on the phone sucks
(#52 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

05-18-2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
Did anyone say I ever 'wait'? Did I say it? In the ring or on the street? No. I did not. And am I bound by rules? No. I can use knives and sticks and beer bottles and sand and whatever the fuck I want, too.

So, in truth you are denying kicking and it seems ring based MA styles as well... I wonder why???
How do you plan on planting a High Kick on a hostile individual in the streets? As you said yourself, instead of having to throw a combo of punches for a K.O., if you land a single High Kick you can accomplish a K.O. in one shot. It is a matter of timing and practice. So, again, how do you expect to execute a High Kick without waiting? The answer is you don't; you wait for the opportunity to arrive ~ "timing". Otherwise, you abandon it and resort to other techniques -- or risk getting your ass tackled in mid-motion.

As I understand, it is illegal to tackle in a Muay Thai match. Muay Thai fighters generally train to fight other Muay Thai fighters... That is the basic concept of the sport. Hence my comment: "In a real life situation, your opponent may not always be willing to "kick joust"."

This was your other statement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu
I imagine there will be other opurtunities in future street fights. I dont see why not. Esp. since they are even easier toland on the thug on the street than they are against the pro at the gym, so I would TRY and use em just to see if I can score a KO or not!
This was my response to that statement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydelart
A thug on the street isn't bound by rules and formalities like a professional in the ring or gym is.
You're basing your argument on the assumption that it is easier to land a High Kick on a Thug on the streets. And I am simply pointing out that it is not necessarily "easier", because, in the streets, they may never give you the chance to throw your leg into the air to perform a High Kick.

I'm not saying it is impossible; I'm saying it is improbable.
You, Tenchu, are free to do whatever you want. I'm just expressing my opinion.

"Rejecting kicks and ring-based MA"? I suggest you rethink that conclusion. Or better yet ~ read over some of my earlier posts in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asakura
People tent to get wrapped up in being "Martial Artists" and forget that Martial Arts are a millitary art. It is MENT to be used on the street, in truely deadly combat. And the reason we train so hard is so that when it comes down to who lives and who dies in a fight, we get to live. When we strip away all the philosophy and symantics where all just fighters.
I agree. A punch is still a punch; a kick is still a kick. We are all bound by the same physics; therefore, it isn't wise to immediately assume that a stranger on the streets isn't going to put up his own fight.
Rules of the ring favor the use of High Kicks. Street fights are a different story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asakura
As far as using kicks in a street fight. Oh hell yes it's done. Maby I'm bias becouse I'm a student of Taekwondo, but we are tought everyday how to street fight, and yes we implement kicks, pretty frequently.
I'm not entirely sure who you're directing this at, but never did I say that kicking was not done on the streets.
(#53 (permalink))
Old
artymcjj (Offline)
Assassian for hire.

Send a message via AIM to artymcjj Send a message via Yahoo to artymcjj
05-18-2008, 12:42 AM

MMA is a great workout, good way to stay in shape
and being a ninja doesnt hurt ^_^

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." -Bruce lee.

"I play a pretty mean bagpipe" -Dead pool.

ANOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM!

gamezaion.com
(#54 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-18-2008, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
You are determined to get me wrong. Arn't you. I would call an increase of 1 metre in height in 2 years okay, esp. given I wasn't even focusing on it.

I am not dissmissing it, more so saying it is way over rated. Wushu masters started at ages always below 8 years old. That counts for a lot. I could never do what they do, regardless of what technique I used. Aside flying kicks, I imagine given the progress I am making training full time, I will be able to do all Tae Kwon Do kicks resonably well at my own head height in about 2 years. But flying kicks might be too late for me, not to mention Super Heavy Weight fighters are slightly less graceful than the Light Weight fighters TKD favors...

Can I ask you, how much time per week do you REALLY spend training in this?
Me? I stretch before and after every training session as well as when doing something idle (watching TV etc) The sort of stretching I do before training is different to the sort I do afterwards of course as you can hurt yourself if you don't stretch the proper way.

Rather than stretching being over-rated... I really suspect that you are under-rating it. I simply don't believe that your ability to kick at head height and hold it for 3 seconds today had little to do with stretching. Chances are the little amount of time spent on stretches you did in training combined with maybe a natural predisposition to being flexible were sufficient. Also what usually happens with flexibility is that rapid gains are made initially but you will reach a plateau. That is where I'm at now. My stretching regime is seeing results but slowly. Of course as was mentioned earlier, core strength is important too.

And you could probably do all TKD kicks well now if you can kick at head height... But TKD practitioners goal is not only to execute the technique but eventually to shoot multiple kicks out with the one foot at the same height before the foot hits the ground as well as hold out their kick for a lot longer than 3 seconds or whatever it is you can do (One TKD black belt pattern has you holding your foot out at head height and rotating 180 degrees then without losing height shooting of a side-kick at the end of the 180!). You are kidding yourself if you think you'll reach that level without a flexibility regime that doesn't include stretching.

(In case you're interested here's the black belt pattern I'm talking about)
YouTube - International Taekwondo Federation (ITF) Pattern Ju Che
(#55 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-18-2008, 02:33 AM

Sigh, I really don't want to say this, but for someone who is passionate about martial art and want to get strong, that is an extremely poor learning attitude.

You realize that you are almost the only person who thinks that stretches are not of any use, so you basically is declaring that you are the only person who is right and everyone else here who made a comment are wrong.

Again, our view is only that, stretches is a preventive exercise, that can help you gain flexibility so that you don't hurt yourself when you try to exceed specific range of movement.

If you truly are someone who want to help others, you shouldn't be denying helpful exercises.

As far as high kick is concern, all i said was "FOR THE MOST PART". I never said its totally useless.
(#56 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-18-2008, 12:46 PM

I train part time because I have a job that brings in 150K a year. Martial art is my hobby and passion but not my priority.... Though, For a good 5 years, I used to train AND teach for up to 7 hours a day for 7 days a week.......

To make you happy, sure, part time sucks, you are right in all aspect.... there you go
(#57 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

05-18-2008, 09:28 PM

You're right, Tenchu. You win.
I forfeit.
(#58 (permalink))
Old
Asakura (Offline)
Training like Ryu.......

05-19-2008, 02:19 AM

Well let's change the subject.

What are your aspirations in Martial Arts? Do you want to be a Sensei? A Champion Competetor? Own your own school? Or just make it your hobby?

Ubi concordia, ibi victoria
(#59 (permalink))
Old
Aota (Offline)
Sol Rebel

Send a message via AIM to Aota Send a message via MSN to Aota Send a message via Yahoo to Aota Send a message via Skype™ to Aota
05-19-2008, 03:27 AM

Personally, I use it for self defense, and bragging rights. If I do find myself on a shortage of cash, I'll think about entering tournaments, but I don't see that happening any time soon. I prefer to be unrestricted when it comes to martial arts/fighting.

The color of the sala flower reveals the truth that is... To flourish is to fall. The proud do not endure.

Heaven or Hell, Let's Rock!

Like a passing dream on a night in Spring. The mighty fall at last, to be no more than dust before the wind.
(#60 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-19-2008, 03:48 AM

To me, martial art is one of those thing that i considered "Love it if its a hobby, but would hate it if i need to feed my families with it"....