JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#61 (permalink))
Old
chaseme (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-19-2008, 03:01 PM

i did taekwondo when i was in elementary, it was a nice experience. loved sparring and kicking the pads. but swithed to judo in high school. back then when i got into a fight(not that im in a gang or something) its usually because the other party cant keep its cool, i dont think i could kick them or punch them, id rather have them submit.
(#62 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-19-2008, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseme View Post
i did taekwondo when i was in elementary, it was a nice experience. loved sparring and kicking the pads. but swithed to judo in high school. back then when i got into a fight(not that im in a gang or something) its usually because the other party cant keep its cool, i dont think i could kick them or punch them, id rather have them submit.
Why can't you kick or punch them? Yeah, submission and grappling technique are great for street situation, but striking technique (IF used properly and within reasonable force) should be equally as effective
(#63 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

05-20-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
Glad you are coming to your senses!
Don't get the wrong idea.
(#64 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-20-2008, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Did I quote the wonrg person there... I dunno...
Yeah... you were supposed to quote chaseme I believe
(#65 (permalink))
Old
chaseme (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-20-2008, 08:34 AM

i was in highschool and like said its usually because the other party cant keep its cool. so fights are usually individuals. assuming that they still come at me after i let them get out of a submission, i think i could still get them into submission hopefully

even if its one vs many i dont think knowing boxing or muay thai would make any significant difference. lets be realistic here have you ever beat the crap out of 2 or more person attacking simultaneously?
for me if thats the case there is always running away
(#66 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-20-2008, 11:27 AM

I am still a bit stunned to see martial artist getting involved in street situation, shouldn't we have more self control? I though we were all trained to control ourselves?

You know, where I grew up, it is illegal for a well train artist to be involved in a street fight, because our body is considered as a weapon

Tenchu, I do agree that it is likely that your opponent will be more than one person, and I do more striking than anything else myself, but my post wasn't to doubt submission/grappling/throw, its more of a question to chaseme why did he felt that submission is more useful in a street situation

BUT, submission/grappling/throw are also good against multiple oppnents, only an idiot will spend more than one move on each opponent on a street situation. Its not like you are trying to wrestle him to the ground like you would on the UFC.

All arts are useful in any and all situation IF one is trained properly, its all about how much and how well you are trained, you can't generalize which technique or art is better, all arts are useful (with one exception, which I don't want to go into details) as long as the person practicing it knows what he/she is doing

Tenchu, mind telling us how old you are?
(#67 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-20-2008, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I am 21. I thought my profile said so. You not read? Lazy...
Ok thanks, that will explain the attitude and behavior...
(#68 (permalink))
Old
chaseme (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-20-2008, 01:23 PM

probably i didnt make my self clear.
i was in highschool i mention im not in any gang. so no "street fight".
most fights i got involve with are with peers or in the same circle.

with judo i could beat my opponent without leaving marks or bruises which means less to no sanction. since i didnt actually engage in a fight but still effectively defend myself.
with punching and kicking even if i tried to defend myself the fact that i engage in a fight doesnt change.

when i say 2vs1 im thinking of three people almost equal in physical activites and the 1 do martial arts. not 2nerds vs a pro boxer, i know i have a flaw in my argument here but being realistic what are the chances of 2 nerds picking a fight with Pacquiao.
(#69 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
05-20-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Oh, my original beef was with warm ups, really, that is why I got into stretching. I still dont like warm ups...
Now that is something I completely understand, not an excuse to avoid it, but I always hated it too. Its a matter of patience, at least in my case. It always felt like wasting time and I wanted to get on with the meat of the exercise. But with time, and the force of an injury that had to be surgically repaired, I learned the patience to endure and even appreciate warm-ups, expecially the stretching.

Since it was leg swing you were using for stretching, its possible that the swing itself could have been part of the problem with the hamstrings. I am just giving an educated guess here because luckily I have never had problems with that group of muscles, so far all my muscle injuries have been related to the shoulders. Though you didn't really describe the hamstring problem a sudden stretch versus a gradual, steady pull on the muscle is more prone to damage. Its the reason why in callesthenics they no longer teach you to bounce when doing toe-touches or other movements that stretch cold tissue. You could have been pushing the stretch to the edge of its limit by the momentum/inertia of the swing before the the actual stretch of the muscle had warmed the area with extra blood flow.

Just my thoughts if you want to try a slow stretch with the same, but contolled arc and see how it goes.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#70 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

05-20-2008, 01:30 PM

No no, i wasn't taking a stab at you for fighting at school, we were all once young and stupid

There could be countless possibilities where you can get in a situation to have to fight with 2 people, and I do like throwing techniques too. I teach quite a bit of it to my student as well, just that I am better with my striking technique for the most part

Now, better question, aside from Tenchu who was taught to "Unleash" and be the best in all situation, what would have cause enough conflict for 2 people coming at you at the same time? Outside of being robbed, why sould 2 people out of nowhere decide to pick a fight with you? Is it something that can be avoided in the first place?