(#83 (permalink))
Old
Jamaru (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Jamaru
06-10-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanMan2 View Post
Doesn't kendo have some sort of relationship with Akido? I always wondered about the Kendo padding, does it still hurt pretty bad when you get hit?
well when ppl Men me (men=head blow) it doesnt hurt that much but i can still feel the kote and the dou (kote-hand blow)(dou-body blow) i imagin that tsuki would hurt (tsuki-neck jab) were are not allowed to do tsuki though

Don't kill yourself
Life will do it for you :P

I love Emotions
(#84 (permalink))
Old
Jamaru (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Jamaru
06-10-2008, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JapanMan2 View Post
That is what I thought, because isnt the only padding the face mask, or cage you wear. The neck jab could do some damage

Do you learn any moves to disarm the opponent or do you learn any takes downs or throws
nonono there is lots of padding like arm gloves and on the mask it has like a little neck pad thing its not dangroues
Attached Images
File Type: gif bogu.gif (23.6 KB, 22 views)

Don't kill yourself
Life will do it for you :P

I love Emotions
(#85 (permalink))
Old
Aota (Offline)
Sol Rebel

Send a message via AIM to Aota Send a message via MSN to Aota Send a message via Yahoo to Aota Send a message via Skype™ to Aota
06-10-2008, 07:35 PM

That's kendo gear, right?

Oh, samurai gear is much much much more complicated than kendo gear... o.o

The color of the sala flower reveals the truth that is... To flourish is to fall. The proud do not endure.

Heaven or Hell, Let's Rock!

Like a passing dream on a night in Spring. The mighty fall at last, to be no more than dust before the wind.
(#86 (permalink))
Old
Ryuk999 (Offline)
PC gamer

06-11-2008, 05:20 AM

kinda random but does anyone do shotokan karate??
(#87 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-11-2008, 06:20 AM

I practiced Aikido for a few years in Japan and taught a bit back in the states. I haven't read the whole thread, so I don't want to repaeat anyhting people already said. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.
(#88 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-11-2008, 06:33 AM

The founder was a fighter. His earlier videos show him smacking people at the begininng of his moves. Aikido can be practical, but only after practicing for a long time. After you learn balance and body mechanics it's not so much about moves and knowing where you can move next and control the opponent.
It also emphasises (some styles) softness, which are great for wrestling.

You have to be carefull because some people see it as some type of new agism and make it too soft. If I mix in kicks and punches, then it's a great combinaton.

When I taught in the states it was in a kng-fu/karate dojo. So I would take what the teacher taught and show how to defend against it in the aikido style. Mix in strikes (ok, not pure aikido) and you have a good style.

The best thing about it is you relearn body mechanics, so in a fight, when things get chaotic and you loose your coordination due to adrenaline, you will at least lower your center of gravity, keep soft, etc.
(#89 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-11-2008, 06:40 AM

Also, I found most people who came from other schools of fighting improved in that field after studying a bit of Aikido. It's great to mix.
(#90 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-11-2008, 07:12 AM

Yes, understood. But you know that we all practice exaggerated moves for practice.

Most people can't fight and most martial arts folk tend not to pick street fights. for example, most of the training for police in the states is based on Aikido and it works pretty well because most people on the street aren't muy thai masters.

lastly, I would only be kicking under two circumstances. A) Only low kicks to break a knee, or B) if I was super ass fast and strong. I've never really met someone whos kick was so strong and fast that they could kick high without the kick being nuetralized. then, well, you only have one foot on the ground.

I don't think one system is better than another. It depends on the person. Aikido just fit for me. My first teacher was a student of the founder and 82 years old when I met him. He is no longer living. When he was 82 years old and I was 27, he nearly kicked my ass.

Last edited by Paul11 : 06-11-2008 at 07:16 AM.