(#281 (permalink))
Old
yuujirou (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via AIM to yuujirou
07-29-2008, 09:56 AM

Shaolin Kung-Fu >.>'''
Compulsory Northern Style

*I say this with confidence because my Shifu is a 32nd generation monk from the Shaolin Temple*

^--soo bleh

^---- my Art is the origin of most everyone elses

In the shadows beneath the trees he waits.
In the darkness under the moon he plots
In the silence of the night he kills.
(#282 (permalink))
Old
minminRW (Offline)
JF Regular

07-29-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwine View Post
You may want to look a bit deeper in to the origin of Tan Soo... it takes a heavy Chinese form, mostly the "Southern Boxing" form... And Tan Soo from Japan is what originated the current day various style Karate
I didn't tend to say that Tan Soo=Karate ,only meant the origin of the words.
the reason i said it, Sometimes Korean says these are fully original of Korea or true origin of Karate or Aiki , Kendo is Korea.( ) Especially in Europe many Komdo players berieve in that false.

i just want to prevent everyone from these misunderstanding.
(#283 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-29-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minminRW View Post
I didn't tend to say that Tan Soo=Karate ,only meant the origin of the words.
the reason i said it, Sometimes Korean says these are fully original of Korea or true origin of Karate or Aiki , Kendo is Korea.( ) Especially in Europe many Komdo players berieve in that false.

i just want to prevent everyone from these misunderstanding.
I see, ok, yes that I agree, most of the Korean martial art came from Japan, a lot debated that it came from the Korean Hwarang Do, however, there have been studies showing that Hwarang Do came from Jiujitsu (NOT BJJ, the original form from Japan)

In reply to one of the above. Traditional Iiado is more than just sword drawing. Traditional Iiado takes a lot of forms from Aikido to perform soft takedown, this is in case if you got disarmed (not a myth, OLD okinawa style does emphasize on intercepting a sword bare hand) you can still defend yourself. I can't say much about modern day Iiado, since I don't know anything about it and have never seen them in practice.
(#284 (permalink))
Old
rina26 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-29-2008, 05:06 PM

If you had to pick between judo and kendo to teach a child discipline, which would you go for? Or if you choose neither, what would you recommend?
(#285 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-30-2008, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rina26 View Post
If you had to pick between judo and kendo to teach a child discipline, which would you go for? Or if you choose neither, what would you recommend?
Discipline, or the teachings of it, has nothing to do with the style, it really depends on the school itself.

If its purely based on impression, my impression of a "disciplined art" will probably be Kendo, the only reason is because I've seen Judo kids causing trouble. But I am 100% sure there are also trouble makers among Kendo students, just that I haven't met them yet
(#286 (permalink))
Old
rina26 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-30-2008, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Discipline, or the teachings of it, has nothing to do with the style, it really depends on the school itself.

If its purely based on impression, my impression of a "disciplined art" will probably be Kendo, the only reason is because I've seen Judo kids causing trouble. But I am 100% sure there are also trouble makers among Kendo students, just that I haven't met them yet
Lol there will be trouble makers wherever you go, that's unavoidable. I understand that it'll all depend on who is teaching and other things. I just wanted others' opinions on what they think would be better for a 3 year old to start off with.
(#287 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-30-2008, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Lol there will be trouble makers wherever you go, that's unavoidable. I understand that it'll all depend on who is teaching and other things. I just wanted others' opinions on what they think would be better for a 3 year old to start off with.
I would recommend something light for a 3 years old. I think both Judo and Kendo is too demanding. What is your goal? To train him to be good it (international competition level?) or just something to train his mind?
(#288 (permalink))
Old
rina26 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-30-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I would recommend something light for a 3 years old. I think both Judo and Kendo is too demanding. What is your goal? To train him to be good it (international competition level?) or just something to train his mind?
Something to train his/her mind and keep them out of trouble. The child is still in the womb at the moment so I still have time to think :P I'm just notorious for thinking ahead.
(#289 (permalink))
Old
godwine (Offline)
自爆十秒前

07-30-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Something to train his/her mind and keep them out of trouble. The child is still in the womb at the moment so I still have time to think :P I'm just notorious for thinking ahead.
Hello, as a martial art teacher myself, I would have to recommend against the idea of putting him through martial art training at such a young age. His body is still under an extremely high pace development, martial art training is a double edge sword for someone this young.

Wait till he is at least 5, start off with Karate or Judo if you are looking for the true traditional mind training
(#290 (permalink))
Old
rina26 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-30-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Hello, as a martial art teacher myself, I would have to recommend against the idea of putting him through martial art training at such a young age. His body is still under an extremely high pace development, martial art training is a double edge sword for someone this young.

Wait till he is at least 5, start off with Karate or Judo if you are looking for the true traditional mind training
Thank you for the advice. Waiting till 5 would be fine with me, especially if it'll be more beneficial for the child.