JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#331 (permalink))
Old
Taranee987 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Taranee987 Send a message via Yahoo to Taranee987 Send a message via Skype™ to Taranee987
11-24-2008, 02:17 PM

I'm practicing some Tai Chi Chuan in my spare time and it fit's my personality perfectly ^_~

Are you nice to people they usually are nice back
(#332 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-24-2008, 02:23 PM

I studied Shotokan Karate when I was 12 for a few years and then quit cuz I discovered females lol

During that time I did Jujitsu for a while but the class got canceled cuz Sensei got sick

Havent studied for about about 5 years now so I'm fat and lazy.. Don't remember much of what I was taught either. I'd love to go back but I dont have the time with work, college AND University

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#333 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-24-2008, 03:05 PM

Capoeira. Until a back injury ended that. I studied under the great Mestre Accordion. Also took Kung Fu when I was young. I will start Aikido soon.
(#334 (permalink))
Old
CrazyLee (Offline)
4th Kyu Aikidoka

Send a message via MSN to CrazyLee Send a message via Skype™ to CrazyLee
11-24-2008, 03:06 PM

I'm going to have to give up one of the loves of my life. Yep, no more Aikido for me for a little while. Between a shoulder injury and lack of money I cannot train right now.
But I will get back into it. Still want that black belt

(#335 (permalink))
Old
d34thp0odle (Offline)
=o long time not here

Send a message via ICQ to d34thp0odle Send a message via AIM to d34thp0odle Send a message via MSN to d34thp0odle Send a message via Skype™ to d34thp0odle
11-24-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Yep, no more Aikido for me for a little while.
Aikido o.O
I want to do that too
thing is i can start when im 18 ^^ damn
=P mind telling me a little about it ?
.. what practises are like .. what u do .. what u begin with ..
was it fun and stuff ?
pleasee ..

i myslef started kendo a little while ago .. ~2.5 months
i like it =D
not going to go on turnaments and stuff but i like the training somehow

The Gods made Heavy Metal, and they saw it was good.

>>> W:O:A 2009 - 20th Anniversary "Louder than Hell"<<<
(#336 (permalink))
Old
CrazyLee (Offline)
4th Kyu Aikidoka

11-24-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d34thp0odle View Post
Aikido o.O
I want to do that too
thing is i can start when im 18 ^^ damn
=P mind telling me a little about it ?
.. what practises are like .. what u do .. what u begin with ..
was it fun and stuff ?
It will be my pleasure. One of the most important things about Aikido: its not a competitive Martial Art. We dont do tournaments, or anything like that. Its a friendly atmosphere, which is why I enjoy it so much. If your in Germany, could you let me know where please? My organisation has connections throughout Europe, so it may be helpful for you (especially when we hold international courses )

Okay, the art itself is simple: its purely defensive. We have a saying "the only way to beat an AIkidoka is to stop attacking". And its true, as the main thought of the art is to defend against an attack and the redirect it back at your opponent.
YouTube - aikido punishment
Okay the link above is for a 40 second Aikido clip of numerous techniques. I need to point out that the end bit of silliness is pretty much what we're like. We have fun whilst training

Now, as for training it all depends on what your Sensei will teach. However, this is what we normally do for all our newbies (my apologies, the names area lla from memory):
Ai hanme katate tori Ikkyo - an arm lock from a handshale grasp
katate tori Nikkyo - wrist lock from odd hands grasp (left hand grabbing right)
Ai hanme katate tori irimi nage - hanshake grasp into an 'entering throw'. Uses the opponents head, and can be used to break necks (honest)
Ai hanme katate tori shiho nagi - handshake graps into a corner drop. It can break the wrist, elbow and shoulder.
Mai and Ushiro ukemi - forward and backward rolls, respectively.

Thats the 2 basic pins and 2 basic throws. Now, I have to point out that Aikido can be a brutal art. It can break bones (I know at least 2 people who have bust there collar bones) but its a good art.
Training itself, as you can probably see from the list above, is kind of static. Theres a lot of leg movement in the art but we dont throw you in and expect you to know what to do. Also I alwas find a reason to smile and laugh in class, but thats because we're not that serious a group. We train hard, and we mean it. But we enjoy ourselves. Its all part of it not being a competetive artform.

And yes, its lots of fun. If you want to ask anything else, pm me. I'm on here most days. Or, grab my msn address. Either works.
Have fun, and sorry for the long post.

(#337 (permalink))
Old
d34thp0odle (Offline)
=o long time not here

Send a message via ICQ to d34thp0odle Send a message via AIM to d34thp0odle Send a message via MSN to d34thp0odle Send a message via Skype™ to d34thp0odle
11-24-2008, 04:33 PM

=D thanks
hm .. sounds indeed brutal o.O
well i guess its also nice to learn about your body ... and how someone could easily break it x.X
._. well .. i'll see
but it sounds like i wont be using Kiais ? (..battleroars >.<)
that would be great since my voice kinda doesnt get it done

my sports club is the SSF Bonn ( Schwimm Sport Freunde Bonn)
its the biggest one in town and they do all kind of things ..
--> here's their homepage
Schwimm- und Sportfreunde Bonn 1905 e.V.

though you wont be able to read it unless you can speak german probably ^^
well .. you got enough people here to ask i guess ..

The Gods made Heavy Metal, and they saw it was good.

>>> W:O:A 2009 - 20th Anniversary "Louder than Hell"<<<
(#338 (permalink))
Old
CrazyLee (Offline)
4th Kyu Aikidoka

11-24-2008, 04:43 PM

The joys of Babelfish and asking friends. Excellant!
As for Kiai shouts.......not unless you want to see Sensei do a > *facepalm*.
We normally avoid them. And its only a brutal art because the human body isn't as strong as people think. Remember that karate, Kung Fu, etc are also brutal. Its just a differance between punching someone unconcious and breaking arms...

Edit: hmmmm, Aikidudo? Hmmmm. Anyway, I'm not sure if its linked to our organisation. Still, it right what it says there. Get in touch with the guy running it and ask some questions. If its close to your 18th see if you can at least watch a session. And ask if its connected to D.A.N (Dynamic Aikido Noquet), as we've got French and German links, as well as us here in the UK.

Last edited by CrazyLee : 11-24-2008 at 04:50 PM.
(#339 (permalink))
Old
TheFloWx (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to TheFloWx
11-24-2008, 05:21 PM

My interests in martial arts started in early childhood. I started with judo, then after some time moved to shotokan karate. When i got a bit older i wanted to try kick-box, but had to quit soon because my parents were against it. I returned to karate, not for long though, because i got shoulder injury during practice in gym. It took almost an year to heal completely and i could only do light exercises during that time. Now i don't have much time to be active in any martial art because of uni. In free time i work out and practice on my own or read about martial arts.
(#340 (permalink))
Old
Arikado (Offline)
Elegant Rocker

Send a message via AIM to Arikado Send a message via MSN to Arikado
11-24-2008, 10:21 PM

I am currently practicing Bagua and learning from my dad, who's a master in Chinese martial arts. I'm totally in love with it's fluid, circular motions that are totally unorthodox and prevents any anticipation of movement. All of the forms are very beautiful too. I love watching my dad go over all of them back to back ¦D Then again, kung fu is awesome too, but difficult to find anybody who knows enough of it to teach it in my area. D¦

Member of the Metal Club
"Ignorance is the night of the mind, but a night without moon and star" -孔夫子