JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#421 (permalink))
Old
InterSeeker23 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Yahoo to InterSeeker23 Send a message via Skype™ to InterSeeker23
03-23-2010, 07:04 PM

Hi everyone. I'm in Shyotokan Karate, and a few years ago I was learning Tae-Kwon-Do, until the fee's became to expensive.

I'm rather new to Shyotokan Karate thought, I just got my yellow belt.

I was a green belt in Tae-kwon-do.

IS23()3FFY)
(#422 (permalink))
Old
Blitzwing85 (Offline)
マーク - 戦士

03-25-2010, 11:55 AM

I did Karate as a kid. It was so long ago i don't even remember what style it was.
I progressed through until Black Belt and then just stopped going.

I kind of wish i'd kept it up though...
(#423 (permalink))
Old
kan1234 (Offline)
New to JF

03-29-2010, 02:54 AM

I studied Aikido for two years and would very much like to resume after I get knee surgery, it is difficult to sit seiza with a torn meniscus and partial ACL. Aikido appealed to me because of it's non aggressive but very powerful techniques, many of the throws were fun to execute as well. It all depends on what your primary goal in studying martial arts is to figure out which is best for you.
(#424 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Post military training - 04-09-2010, 01:04 PM

I studied basics of applied karate during my military service.
(#425 (permalink))
Old
Kansai (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Kansai
05-01-2010, 01:32 AM

My brother inlaw is a Judjitsu instructer and I did it for a year but haven't lately.
(#426 (permalink))
Old
Kansai (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Kansai
05-01-2010, 01:32 AM

My brother inlaw is a Jujitsu instructer and I did it for a year but haven't lately.
(#427 (permalink))
Old
WanderingWarrior (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to WanderingWarrior
05-07-2010, 01:39 PM

Interesting to see a couple ppl say they did TKD and no Shotokan, or vice versa. Tae Kwon Do was originally taught to the Koreans by masters of Shotokan, however they only studied up to Shodan (1st degree black belt)
Somehow they were able to rank themselves all the way through the dan degrees of black belt. If you look at the stances and some kata of TKD you will see a resemblance to Shotokan although TKD focused much more on the sport aspect. Not for nothing, TKD practitioners who compete at high levels have some very fast and powerful techniques. Its all about what you want to dedicate your training to.
The 'jutsu' arts are considered to be closer to the heart of Bujutsu, art of the warrior or warrior techniques, than the 'do' arts which generally speaking are more focused on sport.
Aikido/Aikijutsu, Judo, Brazilian Jujutsu are all derivatives from Japanese Jujutsu. With many different schools of jujutsu, and branches from well known styles it can be hard to keep track of them!
I am a former TKD practitioner that converted to Isshin Ryu (traditional Okinawan Karate) [Sandan], Okinawan Kobujutsu (Traditional Weapons) [Nidan] and Nihon Ryu Jujutsu (Fancy for Japanese Jujutsu) [Nidan] And I love them all as they provide the three points of the mitsu tomoe in my martial arts training!
(#428 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

06-08-2010, 04:19 AM

I tossed my traditional style training (Shotokan and TKD) out the window when I continued to get murdered by MMA fighters during friendly sparring. ***It's not as if I was undertrained or had poor training; I won multiple championships on several WKF TKD circuits.***

After that, I busted open a new pair of Fairtex gloves and never looked back. I kind of ended up just melding into Muay Thai/Boxing, but I specifically chose to begin studying Submission Wrestling as a counter to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. It allows me enough room to study/apply BJJ techniques myself, but I can bring the fight back up to my feet more easily, where I'm more comfortable.
(#429 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
06-08-2010, 08:12 PM

Over Memorial Day weekend I got two unexpected classes in Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu. Interesting and fun, but as someone over 50 and out-of-condition, I discovered that though the falls in the dojo didn't hurt, after the 6 hour drive home I was bit stiff and slow moving.

I don't know whether I will begin this in any serious way, but at least if I do I have an excellent and persuasive teacher. Who else could have gotten me to train with a room full of 20-something aikido students?

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#430 (permalink))
Old
pattiewack (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Skype™ to pattiewack
06-14-2010, 04:55 AM

I train in Seido Juku Karate. I have only been practicing for 6 months so far but I am really enjoying it and I can't see me ever becoming bored of it. I just went up to blue belt yesterday.