LinkBack Thread Tools
Old
Tyrien (Offline)
I'm e-vincible.

07-29-2008, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XjapanFOREVER View Post
I'm replaying VIII right now...
I'm on disc 2, just left Trabia Garden...

I REALLY like the junction system...
The junction system is great, but it's idiot proof at the same time. If you actually spend some time into it you can make yourself invincible before the end of disc one. This doesn't even involve grinding, just stacking magic from the right monsters.

Don't even get me started to how overpowered it is once you hit end-game lol.

The materia system was one of the best. Though it too had it's downsides once you got later into the game. Especially once everyone had 8 slot weapons (yea they had no growth but there were stacked 2 and 3x growth weapons that were still pretty strong).

Going through Crisis Core since I got it I'm really starting to love it more and more.

Tyrien.DeviantArt~
As of 08/11/2008 5:33 PM Eastern Standard time I now officially own:
Miyavi, Kyo, Yuusuke, Maya, Gou, Aki, Aoi, Jun, Yusa, Jui, Key, Heechul, Yesung, Riku, Kei, Jyou, Satoshi, Takeru, Sin, Teddyloid, ♀Yooh♂, Reo, Tomoya, Tatsuro, Hitsugi, Kyoharu, Takanori Nishikawa, Jay Chou, Hirokai, Die, Kaoru, Shinya, and Toshiya.
Old
Tyrien (Offline)
I'm e-vincible.

07-29-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastFortnight View Post
I don't think so, the junction system was great, the problem is that the characters level up too fast, but it aren't related to the junction system itself.
The idea of equip magic, rather than armour was very original and intelligent, it would be ridiculous if the characters of such a futurist game equip helmet, shield and these kinds of things, like a ridiculous living medieval tin. And about the magic, it isn't just draw the magic, you need to learn the ability of the GF that allows the junction in the attribute (and learn the abilities of the GFs spends a lot of time...), the quantity of the magic equipped defines how much the stat will raise, so you need to spend so much time collecting it from the enemies, and some magic is only available to draw when the enemies reach certain levels...
The enemies level up as the characters do and if it allows to become stronger earlier, it's because the levels raise too fast, but if you make your characters reach a high level in the beginning of the game, you will regret it later, because the attribute don't raise that much normally and later in the game you can find the bonuses abilities, without this you can't make some stats reach the max, even with the best magics equipped, of course you can use devour, but, you know, it SUCKS!
I agree that the materia system is better, but FFVII is very easy too in battles... too easy. Also the summons at FFVIII, the heart of the junction system and its menu abilities, make the game system very rich and interesting. You can create your own items and magics and even call a shop anywhere, it's so cool. And at the end of FFVII, the characters get even more overpowered, you can equip how many commands you fancy, deal 4 attacks of 9999 with each character, and the Phoenix + Final Attack makes the party almost invincible and even the weapons become piece of cake, but of course it's cool though .
Not really. How you leveled up was completely irrelevant because monsters leveled with you. You can beat the game at level one.

Sorry to word it this way but maybe you weren't that good at FFVIII, which is why you don't see how overpowered that system was. It was a good concept but it didn't have the limitations it needed. You could turn every character into god. You could do that in FFVII too, of course. It wasn't the same as FFVIII. In VIII even with basic magic you could ascend your characters to an unreal status. VII however you didn't achieve that until closer to the end of the game and even then you had to put extra effort into it in finding all the proper materia. Even then you were still limited because you needed to master a materia to give it to other people which required a lot of grinding. The only magic that was limited I can think of in FFVIII was ultima. Everything else that was "rare" was easy to find or not worth junctioning.

Tyrien.DeviantArt~
As of 08/11/2008 5:33 PM Eastern Standard time I now officially own:
Miyavi, Kyo, Yuusuke, Maya, Gou, Aki, Aoi, Jun, Yusa, Jui, Key, Heechul, Yesung, Riku, Kei, Jyou, Satoshi, Takeru, Sin, Teddyloid, ♀Yooh♂, Reo, Tomoya, Tatsuro, Hitsugi, Kyoharu, Takanori Nishikawa, Jay Chou, Hirokai, Die, Kaoru, Shinya, and Toshiya.

Last edited by Tyrien : 07-29-2008 at 01:01 PM.
Old
Hackimoto (Offline)
Fighting the blues

07-29-2008, 02:46 PM

I've known so few people who even liked the game. I think because it's so story driven with less action and huge swords and spikey hair and that stuff. And because it was so romantically themed and it gets pretty mushy in parts. That's partly what I liked about it. That, and how much I identified with Squall at the time. At that time in my life we were very much the same. I would say I more closely resemble Laguna nowadays. And I don't think I've ever been more genuinely concerned for a character's well being as when Rinoa is marooned in space and is about to die. And yeah, the junction system was cool, I liked being able to focus on a particular stat like that. Plus I like when there's a lot of hidden dialogue and other stuff like that. You can see that a lot of programming went into the game. I sometimes like to go out of my way to see hidden stuff like that just out of respect for the people who took the time to put it there. And the graphics were amazing, especially for the PS1, and it was cool the way they integrated the FMV into the real time gameplay. I thought it was a bit ahead of the curve for back then.

Old
XjapanFOREVER (Offline)
In X we Trust

Send a message via MSN to XjapanFOREVER
07-29-2008, 06:51 PM

That's like the only thing I didn't like about VIII.
It lacked the simple RPG concept..
If you want to you can spend hours leveling up, then beast through the rest of the game, VIII prevented that, but at the same time gave us something similar that was even more powerful...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastFortnight View Post
For me it was completely piece of cake, as VII was too, they both are the easiest games of the series.
X is the easiest game in the series..
It is pure turn based strategy, you hit me, I hit you. As long as you're not a little kid it's almost impossible to get stuck on something... and if all else fails, use cheer a couple turns...
it also has the easiest final battle ever, you're auto-auto-lifed (hope you got that), you can't mess that up..

Microsoft is making computer's just like air conditioners; they work properly until you open WINDOWS.

Last edited by XjapanFOREVER : 07-29-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Old
YoshimiTheEthereal (Offline)
Neo-Nebula

07-30-2008, 06:17 AM

Personally, I think FFVIII was the hardest for some reason. I had a had time with the final battle. I agree that X was the easiest, though.
As far as a system, I'm not sure what my favorite was. I think FFVII is a bit too complicated and takes a little too long to level up the materia. The Junction system just really got on my nerves. I guess I would have to say X, IX, and XII were my fave systems, since they are all different and good, and it just depends on my mood for which I think is best at the time.
Old
Yuna7780 (Offline)
I'm Missh Yuna! ♥

07-30-2008, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshimiTheEthereal View Post
Personally, I think FFVIII was the hardest for some reason. I had a had time with the final battle. I agree that X was the easiest, though.
As far as a system, I'm not sure what my favorite was. I think FFVII is a bit too complicated and takes a little too long to level up the materia. The Junction system just really got on my nerves. I guess I would have to say X, IX, and XII were my fave systems, since they are all different and good, and it just depends on my mood for which I think is best at the time.
I really want to play FFVIII, but I'm having a hard time getting it off of eBay.

FFX is thusfar, my favorite. It makes me cry so hard. But, I think FFX-2 is possibly the easiest FF I've ever played. I'm also replaying it because I got a 98% in the game and I want 100%. Though, it's my third time around playing, it was easy the first time.

FFVII... It's great, but it's sometimes hard. I have trouble because of my PS2 dying to play it, but I'm stuck at a boss right now anyway... So no biggy.

FFVII:CC is fun. I like it a lot because Zack is so cute...

FFXII, which I'm also replaying, has been the hardest for me so far. I got halfway through the game, stuck, and now I'm replaying it and overleveling.

Thanks for reading!
~Yuna7780
Old
Neo-Nebula

07-31-2008, 05:48 AM

I think that certain people are skilled at certain types of things. I may not be good at FFVIII, but there are other games at which I am very skilled. I don't need you to throw off on me when you have never even seen my performance.

The Square Enix party is next week, I believe. I heard they are supposed to have a big announcement concerning FFVII. I have a feeling that it's not the FFVII remake, though. What do you guys think?
Old
animelover32 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to animelover32
07-31-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshimiTheEthereal View Post
I think that certain people are skilled at certain types of things. I may not be good at FFVIII, but there are other games at which I am very skilled. I don't need you to throw off on me when you have never even seen my performance.

The Square Enix party is next week, I believe. I heard they are supposed to have a big announcement concerning FFVII. I have a feeling that it's not the FFVII remake, though. What do you guys think?
I'm hoping it's about the remake. What else could it be? Plus, we deserve it after that XIII stunt they pulled.
Old
Neo-Nebula

Question 08-02-2008, 04:23 AM

What, about it being delayed? XIII, that is.
Old
XjapanFOREVER (Offline)
In X we Trust

Send a message via MSN to XjapanFOREVER
08-02-2008, 04:49 AM

the person was referring to the Multi-platform thing..

Microsoft is making computer's just like air conditioners; they work properly until you open WINDOWS.