(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-02-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henbaka View Post
Hmm well,

First of all use some common sense. Youre 18 and here (Sweden) that would make you an adult (how bout where you're all from?). As such, for me, I dont see why you cant drink some from time to time. Just don't be an asshole during, please.

Anyways, when I was in Japan (Tokyo) at age 19, I went to bars/clubs/restaurants all over town (alot), and _NOT ONCE_ had any problems because of my age. So in that department, you should be home free.

Again, I'm not telling you what to do. You should be old enough to decide for yourself.

But to the previous poster; for me it's laughable to throw someone out of a university program for drinking. I mean come on. University = alot of partying. That's just life.

But again, check the rules. Would suck to be thrown out because of some pansy-ass rule.

Also, It was my understanding that you are underage for bars - not for drinking. Clarify that someone, please.
The drinking and smoking age in Japan is 20. Many young people who don't have driver's licenses don't have IDs, but now at least the cig machines will require an ID pass card to operate sometime this year or next year.

It may sound silly to eject someone from a program for getting caught drinking, but Japan doesn't like trouble-makers. If you are not going to be respectful enough to your host to not break the rules, there is surely someone else who will. People that run the very costly and time-consuming programs that bring students from all over the world tend not to share the opinion that "university= a lot of partying".
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

05-02-2008, 11:46 PM

Funny, my university would kick you out in America if caught drinking underage and they found out about it. Did it happen all the time? Sure, but most people were rather careful.

I drank underage, but I did it in private residences with friends who were of age. I went to few parties. I wasn't stupid. That's essentially the name of the game whatever you do and wherever you are. Don't be stupid.

When I hit 21, I stopped drinking altogether. Now I have a drink once or twice a month, and only in a social setting at get togethers or functions, etc.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
05-03-2008, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
but now at least the cig machines will require an ID pass card to operate sometime this year or next year. .
Pretty sure many already have it - the one near my place needs id to get cigarettes now (I don't smoke but was curious when I saw it)
(#14 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-03-2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachava View Post
Pretty sure many already have it - the one near my place needs id to get cigarettes now (I don't smoke but was curious when I saw it)
It might be city by city, as they didn't have them in Kansai in March, and my friend who smoked was reading the paperwork on getting the Pass Card.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
chachava (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to chachava
05-03-2008, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
It might be city by city, as they didn't have them in Kansai in March, and my friend who smoked was reading the paperwork on getting the Pass Card.
good point... this was in Nakano where there are a lot of students so might be the reason?
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
05-03-2008, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henbaka View Post
But to the previous poster; for me it's laughable to throw someone out of a university program for drinking. I mean come on. University = alot of partying. That's just life.

But again, check the rules. Would suck to be thrown out because of some pansy-ass rule.
But that is how it is. If you get in trouble, companies fire you, schools kick you out, etc. You`re not a citizen, and you`re technically a *guest* of the university. They don`t HAVE to allow you to attend their classes.

ETA;

I know of several people who were kicked out of their university for simply hanging around bars with friends, or for smoking outside the campus. They didn`t even have to be charged with something, just caught by faculty. And yes, it was in university.
Would this happen to a Japanese student? Chances are no - but you`re not a Japanese citizen. Why take the risk? It seems like such an INCREDIBLE waste to me. Who cares what your feelings are about the law itself - the fact is that it will be illegal until you`re 20.

If you want to spend your college years partying, then feel free to do so at a university in your home country. Just don`t look for ways to get around the laws in another.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.

Last edited by Nyororin : 05-03-2008 at 05:17 AM.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
ShintoCanadianmale (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-04-2008, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jittedude View Post
I'm going to Japan this October. I'm 18 adn will be attending a university in Kofu.
My questions are these::
1. What's the penalty for being caught drinking underage in Japan?
I'm guessing deportation, but does anybody here have a
link to the law?
2. Anybody here who's been drinking in Japan underage and if so, were you carded?, where did you go? etc,etc,.
sound like you have a drinking problem

crunchyroll.com
(#18 (permalink))
Old
Fooflowers (Offline)
ETiD

Send a message via MSN to Fooflowers Send a message via Skype™ to Fooflowers
05-04-2008, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jittedude View Post
I'm going to Japan this October. I'm 18 adn will be attending a university in Kofu.
My questions are these::
1. What's the penalty for being caught drinking underage in Japan?
I'm guessing deportation, but does anybody here have a
link to the law?
2. Anybody here who's been drinking in Japan underage and if so, were you carded?, where did you go? etc,etc,.
You have the chance that alot of people would give their right arm for(figuratively speaking) and you want to possibly ruin it for a few drinks, seems silly to me.

But if you cant stand to be without a drink, if you make friends that are of legal age you could give them money and drink at their house or something along those line, its what i did when i was young , jeez i feel old at 21 O_o

/shoot to thrill
(#19 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-04-2008, 03:09 AM

I think we scared him off...
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

05-04-2008, 07:17 AM