(#41 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-15-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rina26 View Post
If born in Japan you have till your 18th birthday.
I`m assuming you mean this for Japanese citizenship? Because for US citizenship, unless you take the baby into the office within 90 days of birth they basically laugh in your face. (Tried to get US citizenship for my son, who was in intensive care for 5 months after birth. He never received it. They were unwilling to compromise.)

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#42 (permalink))
Old
rina26 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-15-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I`m assuming you mean this for Japanese citizenship? Because for US citizenship, unless you take the baby into the office within 90 days of birth they basically laugh in your face. (Tried to get US citizenship for my son, who was in intensive care for 5 months after birth. He never received it. They were unwilling to compromise.)
I meant for US citizenship born in Japan. That's what the US Embassy website states anyway.

Your Baby's Passport, Report of Birth and Social Security Number
Quote:
That said, the only "deadline" for completing this process is before your child's 18th birthday.
Thank you for the information though, I believe you over what the website says.

ETA: I just thought of something though, I was over 6 months old when my parents filed for my US citizenship. But then again, that was 21 years ago.

Last edited by rina26 : 08-15-2008 at 10:15 AM.
(#43 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-15-2008, 10:35 AM

Quote:
ETA: I just thought of something though, I was over 6 months old when my parents filed for my US citizenship. But then again, that was 21 years ago.
Things seem to have changed significantly since everyone is suspected of being a terrorist. *sigh*

Yes, technically, at this point I could indeed take my son in to apply for citizenship. We`d just have to file a bunch of extra paperwork, each bit with it`s own fee and late fee, and then pay extra for being so late, on top of the initial fees. I believe we added it up to be something like 3 trips to Osaka, one to Tokyo plus 80,000 in normal fees.

Just not worth it.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#44 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

Send a message via AIM to kenmei Send a message via MSN to kenmei
08-15-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:
It is indeed - but every once in a while some tourism group talks about changing it`s name or at least it`s "unofficial" name to Kyoto International Airport. It pops up in the news every once in a while. I don`t think anyone ever takes it seriously, and I seriously doubt they`d ever actually change it. But it seems like whenever there are figures pointing out more people flying into some other airport, they say "Well, foreigners don`t know what Kansai is! They`d fly in here more if it had a more familiar name. Most people go from there to Kyoto, so that would be more appealing for tourists."
very true, it will be like Narita not really being in Tokyo and SFO not really being in San Fracisco...ect

but, it does make sense as far as foreign toursim goes...whatever can bring in the money
(#45 (permalink))
Old
rina26 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-15-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Things seem to have changed significantly since everyone is suspected of being a terrorist. *sigh*

Yes, technically, at this point I could indeed take my son in to apply for citizenship. We`d just have to file a bunch of extra paperwork, each bit with it`s own fee and late fee, and then pay extra for being so late, on top of the initial fees. I believe we added it up to be something like 3 trips to Osaka, one to Tokyo plus 80,000 in normal fees.

Just not worth it.
Yeah seriously. Well we'll be at the embassy anyway for my soon to be husband's spousal visa around that time so we could just kill 2 birds with one stone. I was just hoping we could deal with one issue at a time.
(#46 (permalink))
Old
Rogozhin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-15-2008, 11:34 AM

I was born there so I can't comment on my first trip.

It's always a bit of shock when I go back there after living a few years in Australia. I'm not used to ducking through doorways in Aus
(#47 (permalink))
Old
tommasi (Offline)
West Tokyo Native

08-15-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Well that's a bit ridiculous i would think. If you live in Japan with no desire or plans of ever returning to the US, what exactly would it benefit you to keep it? I understand the feeling though. I'm basically going through the same thing right now. I'm a dual national with my 22nd birthday coming up and legally I have to pick one or the other. People think I'm crazy when they hear my intentions of giving up my US citizenship.
Just for the record, you don't have to give up your dual citizenship status.

Ask people around.

All my mixed friends kept theirs cos the Japanese govt won't do anything about it.
(#48 (permalink))
Old
rina26 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-15-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommasi View Post
Just for the record, you don't have to give up your dual citizenship status.

Ask people around.

All my mixed friends kept theirs cos the Japanese govt won't do anything about it.
Yeah I know I could technically keep it on the down low. But because I'll be sponsoring my soon to be husband for a spousal visa, I'm going to have my paperwork looked at a little more closely. My US passport is currently expired so it'll look a bit suspicious if I'm renewing it a couple months before my 22nd birthday. And also, he's a US citizen, if I wanted to live in the US I could just have him sponsor me lol. I don't really care as long as I could legally live and work where I'm at.

ETA: Especially because the employees who would help me with my passport application would probably be the same ones helping me with the spousal visa lmao.

Last edited by rina26 : 08-15-2008 at 02:34 PM.
(#49 (permalink))
Old
RegPaq (Offline)
JF Regular

08-15-2008, 05:21 PM

what is this about the 22nd birthday thing? cuz im still 20 is there somewhere i can read up on, or does it already not apply to me.
(#50 (permalink))
Old
rina26 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-15-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegPaq View Post
what is this about the 22nd birthday thing? cuz im still 20 is there somewhere i can read up on, or does it already not apply to me.
Are you a dual national of Japan and another country? If not it does not apply to you.