LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
konbini (Offline)
JF Regular

Don't be so quick to label - 04-21-2010, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nara008 View Post
Many countries (not USA) have a working holiday agreement with Japan that lets young people work there for a year at whatever job or jobs they can find.

Have you researched racism and xenophobia in Japan? You might want to know about those things if you are considering getting a degree just so you can move there.
There is racism and xenophobia every. I am not saying that Japan doesn't have discrimination, but all too often people unfairly label Japan as racist. Foreigners often misinterpret certain things as racist. What you need to realise is that Japan wants to preserve its cultural identity. It is not a country like Australia or the United States that was built on foreign immigration.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

04-21-2010, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konbini View Post
I am confused
Did you mean you need a 4 year degree to go to work in Japan?
Mine is a 3 year one, which is standard bachelor degree in Australia.
If after I finish I did a short English teaching course, could I get a placement and work visa?
As long as it is a BA or a BS you are fine. Canada has the same system. Just don't say it's a three year degree. Japan is stuck on this idea that BA/BS degrees MUST take four years, even though due to the systems in Commonwealth countries, you get many of your core curriculars during another type of secondary schooling.

<- AnimeMusicVideos.Org
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Thuglife (Offline)
JF Regular

04-29-2010, 02:50 PM

I just want to live in Japan, teach or something for some extra cash.

Oh man.
Please. PLEASE stay the f__k where you are and read some comic books or something.
Japan sugoi types who wanna backpack their way on the Prefectures dime and kids time are a dime a dozen. Go work at your local McDonalds and save your pennies for a trip.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Heru (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-03-2010, 08:56 PM

I always a bit confused by people who've wanted to "live" somewhere all their life. Not "visit" then consider the possibility of "living" later.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-03-2010, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heru View Post
I always a bit confused by people who've wanted to "live" somewhere all their life. Not "visit" then consider the possibility of "living" later.
Sometimes it's more feasable to live without visiting, than to visit first then decide to live. Japan in particular is a very expensive country to visit, if someone only had a limited ammount of savings then to visit would probably use up a good chunk of money, maybe all of it. It'd make moving over then a lot harder because they'd need to save all over again.

I think there's also a mentality that you can "live" abroad and always return if you dislike it, making it more of an 'extended visit', but if you do love it then you can always stay for longer/forever. Sure, it's not always the best way of doing things, and visiting a country before deciding to live there is always best, but sometimes it's the easiest/best way of doing things depending on the individual.

Or at least that's how I see it, lol.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-03-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
Sometimes it's more feasable to live without visiting, than to visit first then decide to live. Japan in particular is a very expensive country to visit, if someone only had a limited ammount of savings then to visit would probably use up a good chunk of money, maybe all of it. It'd make moving over then a lot harder because they'd need to save all over again.
Interesting viewpoint but we're not talking about moving to a new apartment or a different area of town.

Moving to a new country involves a lot more than obtaining a visa and a job. It involves new customs, new languages, new climates, etc. It also involves leaving your job, family, friends and starting pretty much from zero.

Sure, it may seem more feasible to live without visiting but how much are you saving? $2000? Once you're in Japan only to realize that you're unhappy, miserable and homesick, you've just spent $1000 on a plane ticket, $3000 on rent and furniture and you've wasted time which could have been productive at home.
(#17 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-03-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicytuna View Post
Moving to a new country involves a lot more than obtaining a visa and a job. It involves new customs, new languages, new climates, etc. It also involves leaving your job, family, friends and starting pretty much from zero.

Sure, it may seem more feasible to live without visiting but how much are you saving? $2000? Once you're in Japan only to realize that you're unhappy, miserable and homesick, you've just spent $1000 on a plane ticket, $3000 on rent and furniture and you've wasted time which could have been productive at home.
That's very true, but I think if people really research and look into life abroad, maybe speak to people who live and work over there, then it's possible to make an informed choice. Learning new languages, customs etc. can be a challenge, but I think that's the thrill of it, it's something new and exciting and something that can test you as a person. Personally I'd find a job in that kind of environment more fulfilling than the same job in my home environment, solely for the challenge and the learning process, I'm sure some others would be the same. As for climate Japan has a very varied range of climates, from very hot in the south to freezing cold in the north, I'm sure there's a climate to suit everyone.

I can understand why 'starting from zero' would be very difficult for some, but then again can't it be very easy for others? A lot of the people who talk about going to Japan are young, as such they have no responsibilities like families to take care of or mortgages to pay, etc. It's easy to go straight from univerisity into a new place and career, because you're not attached to anything. It would be an emotional strain to leave your loved ones, but for some that isn't an issue.

I understand your point that one could get to Japan and loathe it, thus wasting money, time and effort, but I think if oneis sensible enough about things then it's worth the risk to just up and go without visiting first. I think the experience, the challenge, could be beneficial and it's possible the pro's could very much outweigh the cons, and if they don't you could always go home at the end of a year, even if you do say 'I'll never do that again!', but at least you have the experience.