JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Sanjikun (Offline)
New to JF

Living in Japan is my dream...but what about??.. - 04-15-2010, 04:24 PM

Living in Japan is my dream, ever since I was about 7 years old, I've got my Highschool, and 2 years college, 2 years teaching ESL too, but I don't really know anything about moving to and working in Japan. I don't have a degree...I love Japanese culture, art, and especially anime! I just want to live in Japan, teach or something for some extra cash and just enjoy life...I'm only 22 and from what i've read it's difficult to live in Japan if your not a student or degree holder, can someone please help me..
(#2 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-15-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjikun View Post
Living in Japan is my dream, ever since I was about 7 years old, I've got my Highschool, and 2 years college, 2 years teaching ESL too, but I don't really know anything about moving to and working in Japan. I don't have a degree...I love Japanese culture, art, and especially anime! I just want to live in Japan, teach or something for some extra cash and just enjoy life...I'm only 22 and from what i've read it's difficult to live in Japan if your not a student or degree holder, can someone please help me..
http://www.japanforum.com/forum/livi...ive-japan.html

http://www.japanforum.com/forum/livi...ive-japan.html

Your questions are very common and discussed at length on those two threads. I'm sure you can find your answers there, and more.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Sanjikun (Offline)
New to JF

but... - 04-15-2010, 06:53 PM

I want to study in Japan, and I do have 2 years of teaching experience, I don't want to waste 2-4 years of my life in a place i don't want to be studying something i'm not interested in just so I can go to Japan, there must be another way...
(#4 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-15-2010, 08:09 PM

Quote:
I want to study in Japan, and I do have 2 years of teaching experience, I don't want to waste 2-4 years of my life in a place i don't want to be studying something i'm not interested in just so I can go to Japan, there must be another way...
You could always try to apply to programmes such as Jet. If they accept your application you'll be able to stay in Japan for a year as a teaching assistant, with the possibility of renewing for several more years. It's not a guarantee they'll say yes as it's a very popular option, but it's worth looking into.

Also, if you can afford to, you could go to Japan for a month or so and apply for jobs in person. I could be wrong but you may be able to get a job that way without a degree, but you'd need to fly out of the country whilst certain paperwork necessary for a visa takes place. Other users may be able to correct me on this, or add detail.

Teaching experience is always a good thing, but without a degree I'd imagine your options are limited. Also getting jobs in other areas is very hard for foriegners because obviously an excellent grasp of Japanese is needed for most other jobs, and why hire from abroad when you can hire from home? I'm sure it's possible for you to move there and work, but it'll be hard.

Edit: Sorry, I see you said 'study' and not 'work'. I really don't know about studying in Japan or being a student there, but hopefully other users can help you.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-15-2010, 09:18 PM

Quote:
What do you want to study? How good is your Japanese?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Hatredcopter (Offline)
In the middle of nowhere!

04-16-2010, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
You could always try to apply to programmes such as Jet. If they accept your application you'll be able to stay in Japan for a year as a teaching assistant, with the possibility of renewing for several more years. It's not a guarantee they'll say yes as it's a very popular option, but it's worth looking into.

Also, if you can afford to, you could go to Japan for a month or so and apply for jobs in person. I could be wrong but you may be able to get a job that way without a degree, but you'd need to fly out of the country whilst certain paperwork necessary for a visa takes place. Other users may be able to correct me on this, or add detail.
Just a couple corrections - I'm almost positive JET will not accept someone without a degree (it's competitive enough among those who do have degrees). Also, you're technically not allowed to go over to Japan looking for a job on a regular tourist visa, but people still do it anyway - it's expensive, and companies aren't particularly fond of hiring people without a proper visa.

To the original poster - unless you decide to get a degree, your only options are to enroll in a language school in Japan (which will get you a visa for awhile, but you still can't get a real job, so bring plenty of money), or there is the spousal visa... which should be self-explanatory.

郷に入っては郷に従え
(#7 (permalink))
Old
atheistwithfaith (Offline)
JF Regular

04-16-2010, 01:09 AM

This question has been discussed many times before, and I am afraid the conclusion is almost always that unless you have a near-native level of Japanese proficiency AND have some kind of skills that employers in Japan can't find amongst Japanese -- then you don't have a chance of gaining employment without a degree.

English teachers are ubiquitous in Japan, almost all have a degree, and in Japan holding a degree is seen as the de facto standard prerequisite for granting foreigners a work visa.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-16-2010, 03:11 AM

Quote:
If you think that spending 2 to 4 years in university is a "waste", then you are not thinking realistically, and you are resigning yourself to life as a second-class person.

Nothing worth having comes easily. If you want something, you must put in the time and effort to earn it. Only the things we work hard to get have any real value. Education is the most important of these things.

Education is everything, every Japanese understands that, and that is why they require a 4 year or better degree.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Nara008 (Offline)
New to JF

04-21-2010, 02:33 AM

Many countries (not USA) have a working holiday agreement with Japan that lets young people work there for a year at whatever job or jobs they can find.

Have you researched racism and xenophobia in Japan? You might want to know about those things if you are considering getting a degree just so you can move there.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
konbini (Offline)
JF Regular

04-21-2010, 02:49 AM

I am confused
Did you mean you need a 4 year degree to go to work in Japan?
Mine is a 3 year one, which is standard bachelor degree in Australia.
If after I finish I did a short English teaching course, could I get a placement and work visa?