JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#71 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

01-18-2008, 01:14 AM

Removed........

Last edited by jasonbvr : 01-29-2008 at 04:12 AM.
(#72 (permalink))
Old
st2l (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-15-2008, 06:29 PM

Why did you remove all those posts?
(#73 (permalink))
Old
aldine (Offline)
JF Regular

03-24-2008, 10:46 PM

Why are you removing all those posts? You're like a demigod of English teaching in Japan. Just imagine all the hopefuls and you're depriving them of your wonderful insights!

Hows it going with Fifths?

Geraldine
(#74 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

03-25-2008, 04:18 AM

Some of the posts were in response to specific questions and not useful to people looking for general information so I took them out to avoid confusion and make it easier to find useful stuff.

Then there were some posts that made it too easy to identify me or posts that would discourage potential employers from hiring me if they ran across them so they had to go.

Basically though, less is more.

I finish with Fifth this week actually. All the office girls are doing fine, I assume. I never actually go to Ashikaga, but things are business as usual.
(#75 (permalink))
Old
aldine (Offline)
JF Regular

03-25-2008, 04:32 AM

Last edited by aldine : 03-25-2008 at 11:48 PM.
(#76 (permalink))
Old
kpauner (Offline)
New to JF

05-02-2008, 01:39 PM

I am thinking of spending my 3 week long vacation in Japan, and also thought of teaching a little English while there. I heard of a simple way to teach english, that doesnt require much of me. (wouldnt want to work at a school and only able to be there for 3 weeks)
So i thought that those "conversation english jobs" that some foreigners take, how do they pay, and how do you get one? You know, those who teach at a cafe or something, and really only talking in english..

Cheers
(#77 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

05-06-2008, 07:25 PM

Honestly mate, that would be a bit tough. With only 3 weeks I doubt you are going to want to be working anyways. There are very few short term opportunities like that available to people without a work visa. However outside of the big cities in some parts of Japan there are places where Japanese people meet with English speakers, and the English speaking people receive a "gift" for attending. However you would have to know the time and place of these types of events before going. It is not like they advertise unless they put up flyers at the location. I know of one thing that goes on every Tuesday from 7 to 9, but it would cost you about 1,500 yen to get there from Tokyo and pays only 1,000 for attending. I guess just visit coffee shops and look for flyers could be an option. Sometimes prefectural and city halls have an English club that meets once a week, but often these things do not pay since they are more of a way to meet people.
(#78 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

05-06-2008, 07:28 PM

And are you a native English speaker?
(#79 (permalink))
Old
tsukimoon (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to tsukimoon Send a message via MSN to tsukimoon
06-01-2008, 04:19 PM

I have a question about teaching English in Japan:

Around what grade do Japanese students typically start to learn English? I think it would be really fun to teach elementary schoolers, specifically the younger ones, but I worry that they don't start learning English that young.
(#80 (permalink))
Old
Nathan (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-01-2008, 05:34 PM

If you plan to teach within a school system (ie JET, Interac, etc) you will be faced with mainly Junior High to High School students. There are some elementary schools that offer an English course, but its usually extra-curricular.

However, if you choose to work with a private company they tend to have plenty of younger students.