LinkBack Thread Tools
Old
ionux (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Yahoo to ionux Send a message via Skype™ to ionux
12-13-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
The work comes before the move. Without employment, you`ll have pretty much no chance of getting a visa to live in Japan.
As to the ease of finding a job... Do you speak Japanese? Are you familiar with Japanese work culture and business practices? Do you already have a visa that allows you to work in Japan?
If the answer to these are all no, then consider it in the "99.999995% impossible" range. There are tons of Japanese who have the same qualifications as you will, but who are native Japanese speakers, know Japanese culture and business practices, who have the Japanese education background prepping them for work in a Japanese company, and who have absolutely no visa issues to worry about.
Unless you have some incredibly amazing talent that can make up for all the disadvantages to hiring someone lacking all those things... Then it is going to be EXTREMELY hard.
I currently speak VERY LITTLE Japanese, but I plan to stay where I am until I can get a level 2 or level 1 at JLPT. Is that enough? Can I get to such a level in, for instance, 2 years of study?
As of busyness practices, are they impossible to get familiar with prior to moving?
No, I do not have a visa....

Would it be better for me to apply for a master's degree in Japan instead of applying to one here, or in some other European country? I understand that my chance of employment is a lot higher if I have part of my studies taken at a Japanese university, but how hard is it to be accepted at such a university?

Quote:
ETA; Forgot about the apartment cost. There is a huge range - how large? How new? Where? All these things change the price so I can give no answer.
I REALLY am not picky AT ALL... I just want a place to live, not too far away from a large city like Osaka or Tokyo, etc... (not necessarily as distance, but as time it takes to commute.... no more then 1 hour per journey) Can I get anything at all for around the equivalent of 100.000-150.000 euro? in Yen that would be 13019890 - 19529835...
Old
therealWrongworld (Offline)
New to JF

12-13-2009, 10:44 PM

thanks for help Nyororin

Quote:
The question here becomes "How would you be allowed to live in Japan if you were unable to work?" - You would need a visa to live in Japan. If you are unable to work, there is pretty much no chance of getting one..
i would have a spouse visa(marry a japanese woman)

just a thought thou, wouldnt marry anyone because of how she looks.
and getting into a relationship with a japanese woman would properly just bring a lot of headache and wouldnt work out in the end anyways.

so would a schizopfrenic person in Japan have to live on the street if he couldnt handle a job or he didnt know anyone that could take him in?
(live with family or friend)

just wondering how it would be, in Denmark its illegal to live on the street.
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
12-14-2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionux View Post
I currently speak VERY LITTLE Japanese, but I plan to stay where I am until I can get a level 2 or level 1 at JLPT. Is that enough? Can I get to such a level in, for instance, 2 years of study?
As of busyness practices, are they impossible to get familiar with prior to moving?
No, I do not have a visa....
When it comes to acquiring the language, I think it would be pretty hard to achieve without actually being in Japan. Business practices - I`m sure you would study them.

The thing is, without something that sets you apart, all you`d have done would be to bring yourself closer to "standard" when compared to a native Japanese person with the same skills. Unless you are making use of a skill that cannot easily be found in the Japanese population (in most cases, language skills) it will not be easy to find a position. The minus of having to secure you a visa, and the potential for additional training... Along with the possibility of language issues (JLPT 1 still isn`t native level) will always put you at the disadvantage.
You may actually have more luck looking for a company in your home country that has offices in Japan. I actually highly recommend this as it seems to be the most common way for foreigners to come to Japan outside of English teaching.

Quote:
Would it be better for me to apply for a master's degree in Japan instead of applying to one here, or in some other European country? I understand that my chance of employment is a lot higher if I have part of my studies taken at a Japanese university, but how hard is it to be accepted at such a university?
You will need to already have the JLPT 1 or equivalent to be accepted into a Japanese university. The criteria for accepting international students is a lot different than that for native students, so you actually often have a better chance of getting into a good Japanese university than a native Japanese student.

Quote:
I REALLY am not picky AT ALL... I just want a place to live, not too far away from a large city like Osaka or Tokyo, etc... (not necessarily as distance, but as time it takes to commute.... no more then 1 hour per journey) Can I get anything at all for around the equivalent of 100.000-150.000 euro? in Yen that would be 13019890 - 19529835...
Yes, you can definitely find something - even for much much less. If all you feel you need is a 1 room, and don`t mind an older building, you can find some very cheap. The price of "used" real estate in Japan is much much lower than new, and as years go by the price falls significantly. A 10 year old building will be very cheap.
It is all up to your standards. Finding a free standing house with land would even be possible depending upon the area - although the house would likely be small and old.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
Old
ionux (Offline)
New to JF

12-17-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
When it comes to acquiring the language, I think it would be pretty hard to achieve without actually being in Japan. Business practices - I`m sure you would study them.

The thing is, without something that sets you apart, all you`d have done would be to bring yourself closer to "standard" when compared to a native Japanese person with the same skills. Unless you are making use of a skill that cannot easily be found in the Japanese population (in most cases, language skills) it will not be easy to find a position. The minus of having to secure you a visa, and the potential for additional training... Along with the possibility of language issues (JLPT 1 still isn`t native level) will always put you at the disadvantage.
You may actually have more luck looking for a company in your home country that has offices in Japan. I actually highly recommend this as it seems to be the most common way for foreigners to come to Japan outside of English teaching.
I could work for less money?
Quote:
You will need to already have the JLPT 1 or equivalent to be accepted into a Japanese university. The criteria for accepting international students is a lot different than that for native students, so you actually often have a better chance of getting into a good Japanese university than a native Japanese student.
Do you know what the costs are? Since I assume you can't work while you study...
Do you generally take a test in order to be admitted? I would hope so, because my grades are not too good at my current university, and I strongly feel they do not reflect how much I know. That's why I was hoping to continue my master's degree here, and just go to work in Japan once I finish them. (A master's degree is 2 years here, and that would have given me enough time to learn Japanese)
Quote:
Yes, you can definitely find something - even for much much less. If all you feel you need is a 1 room, and don`t mind an older building, you can find some very cheap. The price of "used" real estate in Japan is much much lower than new, and as years go by the price falls significantly. A 10 year old building will be very cheap.
It is all up to your standards. Finding a free standing house with land would even be possible depending upon the area - although the house would likely be small and old.
10 years is an old building??? I currently live in a building built in 1950 ...lol

... I have some more questions to ask but it's quite hard for me to express them at the moment, such as not to forget anything, and for them to be compressed enough for you not to waste your time reading them. The only reason I'm saying this is that I stayed with this forum page open half a day, and things kept coming up, so I did not manage to put them into a presentable form... you didn't really need to know this ...lol.... excuse my incoherency, I will come back with the questions later.
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
12-18-2009, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionux View Post
Do you know what the costs are? Since I assume you can't work while you study...
If I'm not mistaken, a student can work...part-time on a student visa.
Quote:
Do you generally take a test in order to be admitted? I would hope so, because my grades are not too good at my current university, and I strongly feel they do not reflect how much I know. That's why I was hoping to continue my master's degree here, and just go to work in Japan once I finish them. (A master's degree is 2 years here, and that would have given me enough time to learn Japanese)
In Japan, the universities there still have entrance exams, as far as I know. I hear that they're pretty challenging, and I'm going to assume even more so for a foreigner trying to get in.
Old
ionux (Offline)
New to JF

12-18-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, a student can work...part-time on a student visa.
I don't see my self doing IT work in part time, but who knows? Maybe some contract work, instead of part time job...
Quote:
In Japan, the universities there still have entrance exams, as far as I know. I hear that they're pretty challenging, and I'm going to assume even more so for a foreigner trying to get in.
That's still good news for me.
Old
kvcnext (Offline)
New to JF

01-16-2010, 06:34 PM

Ah, very similar to mine I hope this thread isn't dead...

Yes, my family are very similar. Except my mom's drinking has hospitilized her now, and I must look after everything now while working (well...an aprenticeship, but my boss is kind and understands. He gives me some money).

I also had an oppertunity to go to Japan twice, both times for 2 weeks, and fell in love. The first time I was in Hokkaidio at the wonderful ice festival in Sapporo with my boss for work experience.

I'm going to be based in Tokyo- though I very well may go out of it. I'm going to go and live for a year on my own, and we'll see how it goes from there if I want to change my visa for longer.

But I'm very glad you are getting what you deserve, and I'm very sorry about the girl you let stay with you before messing you up. So! My questions are:

- Since you've been there a while, how long did it take you to pick up the language. First fluent, and then how did your accent become so good?

- How to Japanese people deal with knowing your past with your family life? Were they supportive, feel bad for you, or feel weary of you?

- How did you expand your social network at first? Did you go drinking, get to know your neighbours, ect?
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
01-17-2010, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvcnext View Post
Ah, very similar to mine I hope this thread isn't dead...
No, not dead. I just usually don`t reply all that much to people who ask the same exact questions that have been asked 20 times in here and 100s of times around the board.

Quote:
- Since you've been there a while, how long did it take you to pick up the language. First fluent, and then how did your accent become so good?
I would say that picking up the language to a level that was truly able to converse about anything and everything took somewhere between 3 and 6 months. At the 3 month point, I was okay in person with the backup of hand gestures, pointing, expressions, etc... But sort of floundered on anything difficult if on the phone. Especially with friends who talked quickly.
At 6 months, I wasn`t having much of any trouble at all - on the phone, chatting online, etc etc. I would say that reading novels wasn`t within my reach at that point though. It`s been a long time, so I only really have memorable references at the 3 and 6 month points to contrast. (3 month point was my first visit ended, and the 6 month point was when I met my now husband).
As for accent - that just came from learning the language in Japan in a native environment... And maybe luck or some inherent language ability. I really don`t know. There was no point where my accent was bad and I fixed it, etc. With fluency came accent.

Quote:
- How to Japanese people deal with knowing your past with your family life? Were they supportive, feel bad for you, or feel weary of you?
Is there a need to tell anyone?
I think that is the more important question.
In real life, I`d say my husband and his mother are really the only people who know the full extent of the truth. (Because they actually visited my family.) Otherwise, I might just say that I didn`t have a great family life, or that my mother and I aren`t close at all for certain reasons. You can leave it vague - no one asks any deeper and I`m sure they`re not imagining anything worse than reality... Just something "bad".

Quote:
- How did you expand your social network at first? Did you go drinking, get to know your neighbours, ect?
At first? I was 17. :P Not a whole lot of drinking going on there.
Basically, in the beginning, I didn`t have the language ability to make a social network - let alone expand one. I ended up taking classes at a local high school (sort of in limbo, as I`d already graduated so wasn`t a student... But didn`t have the qualifications so wasn`t a teacher. I was like a super-student with benefits. I could participate in student clubs and activities but didn`t have to go to class other than one a day helping in the English class as a "native pronunciation model".) I joined a club and made a number of friends there.
Later, when I was on my own and not in a host family situation or living in a dorm... I just made a couple friends online, and expanded from there. I`m not an incredibly friendly person, and a huge net of friends tires me, so I can`t really give all that much advice.
I will say to try and keep away from making tons of English speaking friends as that is pretty much a guarantee that you will not progress much in Japanese.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
Old
Idareyoutoclickthis (Offline)
New to JF

01-17-2010, 02:58 PM

Hello....

I'm in a very similar situation. I met a Japanese family a few years ago, and after making friends with their daughter, I was invited around for dinner. I asked a load of questions while I was there, and was instantly curious. They were really easy for me to get along with, and very understanding and helpful. I would often stay there when my parents couldn't be bothered (which is almost all the time).

At the moment, I would love to visit Japan. I have a small job where I get money (and hide it from my parents) and have started studying the language and culture. My parents wouldn't care (I've made sure) but the only place I could afford would be a guest house. I really don't want that...it's mostly English-speaking people there, not what I would like at all. So I wonder if there are any families who put forigners up? I would pay them of course....but I hope they won't speak English to me. I'd also want to take the free classes you mentioned?

And also, not in Tokyo. This is important...and if I could, not in a city? Near a city would be nice for the access to classes, but in a town near by or something would be much better. I hope I'm not being too picky, but I want to learn the right way (or at least, not the easy way). When I visit, I would be 17. I've planned on this for the past year but...I'm not sure how to get to know families to put me up. You stayed with families at first too, right? How does this work?
Old
Bluemonkey101021 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Bluemonkey101021
01-17-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
I would say that picking up the language to a level that was truly able to converse about anything and everything took somewhere between 3 and 6 months. At the 3 month point, I was okay in person with the backup of hand gestures, pointing, expressions, etc... But sort of floundered on anything difficult if on the phone. Especially with friends who talked quickly.
At 6 months, I wasn`t having much of any trouble at all - on the phone, chatting online, etc etc. I would say that reading novels wasn`t within my reach at that point though. It`s been a long time, so I only really have memorable references at the 3 and 6 month points to contrast. (3 month point was my first visit ended, and the 6 month point was when I met my now husband).
As for accent - that just came from learning the language in Japan in a native environment... And maybe luck or some inherent language ability. I really don`t know. There was no point where my accent was bad and I fixed it, etc. With fluency came accent.
Nyororin, if i may ask, I know that you took courses in highschool, but once you're in japan, where do you start in regards to learning the language in a foreign land when you can't understand anything? I realize that immersion is the best way to learn a new language, but i find it hard to believe that just walking around pointing at things so people know what you want is an effective way to begin. Taking courses in my home country would be the best bet i understand, but even if you do that, how did you personally get out of difficult conversations with an answer to your question? especially those of importance like a dispute over a payment for example. I guess i don't understand how immersion begins to work with little to no language background.