JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#171 (permalink))
Old
slpli (Offline)
New to JF

My thanks to you... - 03-25-2007, 06:21 AM

[quote=Nyororin;23377]And... I know you certainly don`t mean any harm, but my son has a developmental delay, has been diagnosed with mild autism, and has enough health problems to fill a book. He has yet to speak a single word yet.

Hi Nyororin! I was searching online for "living in Japan" and came across this forum. I've read through the majority of your posts (thank you very much, by the way), and stopped at the one quoted above. First of all, I wanted to congratulate you on your hard work and drive to seek out a better life for yourself. Secondly, I commend you for openly sharing your experiences (and even your home) to help out others. Lastly, I'd love to offer any help I can to your family and your son. You sound like a wonderful mother and I have no doubt that you are seeking help for and providing as much as you can for your son. I just wanted to open the door and let you know that your posts and your generosity touched me and that I would love to be able to offer you something for all you've offered me (and everyone else who appreciates your candid thoughts and advice). I am a Speech-Language Pathologist and have tons of experience working with children with developmental delays, ASD, speech/language disorders, etc. If there is anything I can help you with, or any questions I can answer for you, please feel free to PM me. You are a very strong woman and I would love to meet you and your son someday (hopefully soon as we are contemplating a move to Japan).
(#172 (permalink))
Old
Marukyusu (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Marukyusu Send a message via Yahoo to Marukyusu
03-26-2007, 11:51 PM

"16 pages of posts is just too much to go through" <--- HAH! It's not I just went throught it all (basically) in one sitting!

I really truly appreciate the time and the effort you have taken and are taking to impart your knowledge and experience to help out and benefit those who are in need of such information and insight on living, studying and working in Japan. Thank you.

I could plan my move to Japan and my whole life in there just on what you've written in this thread! (jokes)

Nah, seriously, thank you for providing this ocean of resource on this site.

Now a little something about me:

I'm a 19-year-old guy. I live in Finland and I'm originally from a city called Tampere. It's a city with a population of a bit over 200 000 people. It's one of Finland's biggest cities, but the cities in Finland are not that big, since Finland only has 5 million inhabitants.

Currently i live in a small town called Keuruu. It's some 120 km nort-east from Tampere and has a population of 8000 (I t hink). I'm there to study in a Bible school since I'm a Christian and want to learn more about the word of God.

I have a girlfriend whom I love very much and to whom I'm very committed. I'm going to move to Japan with her one day. I'm studying Japan on my own (really trying to find native Japanese speakers to help me with my studies). Marika, my girlfriend, will soon start to learn Japanese as well and I'll be helping her out with that (since I'm a quick learner when it comes to languages, and I already know some Japanese (although very little).

Why do I want to move to Japan?

Well, there are a lot of reasons and a lot of fealings involved and I'm not sure if I'm capable of putting them into an organized form, but I'll give it a try.

Firstly, what I've seen Japan in Japanese movies, in documents about Japan and in anime series (Yes, I do love anime), has really left me with a beautiful image of Japan.

Secondly, I love the language (firstly, it sounds beautiful and secondly, its structure is interesting, to say the least), and I'm crazy about languages! I'm really gifted with them and like to study and use as many languages as possible, mainly to better communicate with and relate to the native speakers.

Thirdly, I like to travel a lot and see different places and cultures. I'm the kind of person who doesn't feel comfortable staying in one place for a lifetime. However, I'm not unable to "root" in one place even for a long time, and I'm able to adapt excellenty to anywhere. And right now I feel it's time for me to move on, move out of Finland and move in somwhere else. And it just so happens that that somewhere else is in Japan - where in there, time will tell. (Oh, and, I have a feeling that says I need to go RIGHT NOW, but for practical reasons, that variable receives the value in 3-7 years.)

For more than the reasons I've given, I can't say. It's something holistic. I know I want to go to Japan and I know I will. It's only a matter of when and how.

The plan I have at the moment is to get an undergraduate/college degree and then apply for the Japanese Government / MEXT scholarship for university studies in Japan. I would take Japanese language and culture as my main subject. This is what I feel is the best way go for now, based on the information I have at the moment (of which a great deal I've gotten from here.)

That's my story. Nothing more to it, really, for the time being.

Oh, if you're willing to teach me Japanese, or know anyone who might, will you please add me to your msn/yahoo / give them my contact info:

MSN:

[email protected]

Yahoo!:

marukyuusu

e-mail: [email protected]

Cheers!

EDIT:

The plan I have at the moment is to get an undergraduate/college degree and then apply for the Japanese Government / MEXT scholarship for university studies in Japan. I would take Japanese language and culture as my main subject.
Unfortunately I just found out the last year I'm applicable is next year, and I don't have the degree I'd need to be qualified... Or, well, technically I'd have time till March, 2009 to complete a 3-year degree... Crazy as I am, I'm still concidering it, although there's no chance I could realistically do it in that time I quess some people have done it in that time, but...
I quess I'll have to find another way then. I am persistant enough about going to Japan, however, that there's no doubt in my mind I'll get there one way or another, and be able to have a life studying and working in Japan.

EDIT:
「Unfortunately I just found out the last year I'm applicable is next year」
Completely sponsored by the government of Japan/MONBUKAGAKUSHO/MEXT, that is

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Brother of: AoshiShinomori, lollijenn, musashi, Riku8
Uncle to: ObscureLove
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。
日本と日本語とアニメが大好き。 ^_^
。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。。

Last edited by Marukyusu : 03-27-2007 at 11:24 PM.
(#173 (permalink))
Old
kenmei (Offline)
脳ある鷹は爪を隠

Send a message via AIM to kenmei Send a message via MSN to kenmei
03-28-2007, 07:24 AM

a few questions for you guys:

-how hard would it to get a non-english teaching job without a 4year degree?
-what type of jobs are out there for us gaijin?
-any exp. with eikaiwa on the side for extra pocket change?
-also a little curious about work visas, any input would be great...

thanks in advance.
(#174 (permalink))
Old
NewKatana (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to NewKatana
03-28-2007, 12:19 PM

Hi there! My name is Katana and I'm goign to Japan in 2-3 years. I'm studying abroad there 4 college and I plan 2 move there after I get my deploma. I was just wondering what kind of things am I going to have to go through to get a work visa over there? Or u know all that stuff ur going through now to get citizenship. O by the way good job on surviving I know what ur going through.

bye 4 now,
Katana
(#175 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-29-2007, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmei View Post
a few questions for you guys:

-how hard would it to get a non-english teaching job without a 4year degree?
-what type of jobs are out there for us gaijin?
-any exp. with eikaiwa on the side for extra pocket change?
-also a little curious about work visas, any input would be great...

thanks in advance.
-It would be quite hard to find a non-English teaching job, even with a 4 year degree, if you don`t have Japanese language skills. Most people do not speak English, and most companies do not speak English. Having skills in both languages would be a plus for you, but English alone is not.

-English teaching (if you don`t speak Japanese), translation and everything else if you do. Even foreign companies with branches in Japan want their employees to be able to communicate with local staff.

-I`m sure it`s possible with whatever sort of job you have. A working visa doesn`t limit you to a certain company, or anything like that.

-A work visa has to be sponsored by a company - in other words, you have to have been hired before you come to Japan. As for the rest of the working info you may need, I`m not really the best person to ask as I`ve never been on a working visa.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#176 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
03-29-2007, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewKatana View Post
Hi there! My name is Katana and I'm goign to Japan in 2-3 years. I'm studying abroad there 4 college and I plan 2 move there after I get my deploma. I was just wondering what kind of things am I going to have to go through to get a work visa over there? Or u know all that stuff ur going through now to get citizenship. O by the way good job on surviving I know what ur going through.

bye 4 now,
Katana
Well, you`ll have to have graduated from a 4 year university for a start.
You will not be able to obtain a working visa on a high school diploma. Zero chance of that.
If you plan to study in Japan, I would say that a student visa would be best for you. If you are accepted into a Japanese university you should be able to get one with minimal difficulty. The student visa also allows limited employment - think a small part time job - but you couldn`t really be a full time employee anywhere while studying anyway, so that shouldn`t be a problem.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#177 (permalink))
Old
samokan (Offline)
0xFFFF_FFFF

03-29-2007, 04:20 AM

to get a working visa you need to have a COE ( Certificate of Eligibility) from the Japanese Govt. This will be applied by your company. And can only be applied in Japan. You will be the one to provide your host company with the requirements but the host company will be the one to apply it for you.

One requirement for the COE is your college records. Working visa are categorized into different levels --> MOFA: A Guide to Japanese Visas - Types and Categories of Visa

Once you received you have you COE , you can now apply for a visa at your respective Japanese Embassy --> MOFA: A Guide to Japanese Visas - Visa Applications

refer to links above for all the detailed information.

*** Omnia Muntantor, Nihil Interit ***

My Japan Life

-------------------------------------
(#178 (permalink))
Old
NewKatana (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to NewKatana
03-30-2007, 11:52 AM

Thanks a lot guys, I'll deffintly have at least 4 years of college since i'm not going to move there till I get my Master's degree. And thanks for the links 2.

See u around
Katana
(#179 (permalink))
Old
SakuraSakura (Offline)
New to JF

03-31-2007, 06:45 PM

Hello Nyororin,

I have read your story, and I'm sincerely impressed. At the moment I'm 17 years old myself, and very busy trying to find a place in Japan where I can stay for 2 or 3 months - I have saved a lot of money and would leave tomorrow if I could. (I live in The Netherlands.)

I first want to experience what Japan is like when being there, there won't be any better way to find out. I'm also very determined to study Japanese, I want to speak it fluently. I have taught myself hiragana and katakana, although I must say my reading skills are far better than my writing ones. I also study Japanese grammar regularly and I'm figuring it out more and more, which makes it easier to understand what Japanese people are saying indeed, without knowing the entire vocabulary - it's like you said. Of course, I'm studying kanji too at the moment. However, I would love to study Japanese in Japan - in my opinion that is the best way to learn it.

My home situation, involving my parents, is not similar to the situation you've been through, it's bad in it's own way. I'd rather not go in further details about it here, but it is one of the reasons I want to go to Japan, I need my own space and I feel I'm ready to take on such a big responsibility. I'm interested in so many things about Japan (of course, anime and manga, but also J-music, J-drama, the culture, the inhabitants, the food, the fashion), Japan attracts me.

I could go on forever more, but I think I'll stick to this for now

I would love to get in contact with you via MSN/e-mail, I can use any tip, because when I leave to Japan I want to be as prepared as I can be and I wanna get in contact with people who live there. Please let me know if you are interested!

(By the way, I am new.. Have no avatar or signature yet.. But that doesn't make me less serious - some people don't take new members seriously. It's just that I saw this topic right after I joined this forum and I had to reply no matter what.)

Thanks a lot in advance
(#180 (permalink))
Old
xvalilix (Offline)
New to JF

04-05-2007, 04:13 PM

Hi Nyororin!
I've read some of your post, not all of course, there is too much page haha!
But, are u just helping people who plans to lives there?
Because me, unlike other people on this tread, I just plan to visit Japan for ..I don't know how long yet..
The things is, I'm planning to move in Asia later (I'm asian myself, oh and I'm only 17). Live in Thailand and Laos exactly. And sometime go to Japan, China, Taiwan, and other countries.
Hum, okay wait!!This is so complicated to explain. I'll restart from the beginning.
First, I am French Canadian. I'm still in College and Going to University in 2 years. I'm planning to go in a East-Asian And History Study Program to learn Chinese and Japanese. I know it will be hard work to learn both but I learn quite easily other languages.
Second, I'm planning to move after in Asia, Laos and Thailand exactly, since I have family there.
So, I think that if I want a good job in thailand or laos, knowing Japanese and Chinese would be good, since they are 2 economic countries. Not that I think about the money, well yes of course, and I want to help poor people in asia -THAT'S MY GOAL-.
And as I read in your previous posts, live in japan surrounded by japanese only would help to learn faster the language(something close to that.. =1) .
BUT, I also love Japan, it really isn't just to get a good job. The food looks so yummy, and, I also think that, by some little research, their culture is very interesting. But the food,can't stop thinking about it, because I know from a province to another province, in each restaurent, they all have their own little speciality, I saw that on TV. hehe.

SO, what I want is to stay in Japan for a while only, if it's possible, for the time that I get my japanese almost-perfectly-fluent (haha) or at least functionnal.
And, I'm all confused myself now.
If you kind of understand what I'm trying to say, it would be nice. haha

Thx.