JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#351 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

06-02-2007, 03:28 AM

Osensei, I am going to respond to that question in the Teaching English in JP thread.

As for your question Takushimazu, you are going to have to give me a few days, but I will get an answer on the spousal visa/work situation. I am going to wait till my company's office openings on Monday and just ask if they would consider hiring my friend.

Right now, I am going to say yes. There is one newly arrived teacher who has just been married to a Japanese girl and I don't think he has any higher education than what they taught him in the Australian army. If I had his contact info, I would ask him right now.

As far as after three years, you will have to have the visa renewed or change of status to that of say long term resident. You shouldn't have to leave the country in order to do this.

But yeah, Monday I will have an answer about working.
(#352 (permalink))
Old
Camui (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-02-2007, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Just thought I`d volunteer any info that anyone needs...

I live in Japan, not in Tokyo, and have lived here for almost 9 years now. I basically came to Japan with nothing (On my own, not part of any program, not as a teacher, with almost no money, etc) when I was 17, and have been here pretty much ever since.

I`m now married, and *own* a home. I`m willing to answer pretty much any questions about real life in Japan - not the English teacher in Tokyo type stuff... Because that`s only like 0.1% of reality. (Not to offend any of the English teachers in Tokyo or anything though.)

We usually try and help other people who are/were in the same boat as I was when I came to Japan (Bad family life, etc), but last year a girl we let stay with us really screwed us over so we have stopped for the time being. But I really want to help people, so if I can in any way please ask!

(Oh, and I think I mentioned a lot more stuff in my intro in the introductions thread, so...)
I am going to be moving to Japan, hopefully within the next year or two. I have huge dreams for myself. I don't know how I will make it financially in Japan. Is it really as expensive to live in Japan as everyone says? If so, what are some good jobs I can look for over there? I hope to land a modeling job in Japan, but if not, I'm not sure where to go...

(Gomen if you have answered this type of question before.)

Assassin's Creed

mysinging
私の歌唱

(#353 (permalink))
Old
jasonbvr (Offline)
TrixR4Kidz

06-02-2007, 04:04 AM

You may want to consider doing something until you can get into modeling. There are always the hostess clubs.
(#354 (permalink))
Old
Camui (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-02-2007, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbvr View Post
You may want to consider doing something until you can get into modeling. There are always the hostess clubs.
I'm sure there are plenty of those around. Thanks for the tip.

I am hoping to join a modeling agency around where I am currently living. That way...maybe they can get me a contract in Japan. Its a long shot, but anything can happen if I set my mind to it. The person who is my inspiration, told me that.

Assassin's Creed

mysinging
私の歌唱

(#355 (permalink))
Old
Takushimazu (Offline)
New to JF

06-03-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbvr View Post

As for your question Takushimazu, you are going to have to give me a few days, but I will get an answer on the spousal visa/work situation. I am going to wait till my company's office openings on Monday and just ask if they would consider hiring my friend.

Right now, I am going to say yes. There is one newly arrived teacher who has just been married to a Japanese girl and I don't think he has any higher education than what they taught him in the Australian army. If I had his contact info, I would ask him right now.

As far as after three years, you will have to have the visa renewed or change of status to that of say long term resident. You shouldn't have to leave the country in order to do this.

But yeah, Monday I will have an answer about working.
Thank you so much for helping me! ありがとうございます!

But I don't want to be too much trouble if you are busy, don't worry about replying quickly.
(#356 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-03-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takushimazu View Post
In my case, how much do you know about spousal visa? Would I be able to work with a spousal visa? ( In England the spouse can work to support the family, is Japanese spousal visa the same? )
I`m not Jason, who you asked for this info, but I`m actually on a spousal visa....

You have all rights to work and do as you please. There are no restrictions on a spousal visa. The only thing you CAN`T do are things that directly require citizenship, such as voting or holding public office, etc.

Quote:
I know you will probably think "you just posted all of the information you need!" but there are some bits I really don't understand, like it doesn't say if I will be able to work there and if there are any limits on career path?
You would be able to work any job you like.
However, if you`re not the top earner in the household, you may not want to be recognized as "head of household". If you are the head of household, you would be the one officially responsible for supporting the home. If you aren`t making much or are incapable of doing so, it would be best not to take that role.

Quote:
And "sufficient funds to settle in Japan" how much exactly is "sufficient"??
9 times out of 10, they require 600,000 yen on hand, and access to 1,200,000 more. HOWEVER, that only applies if you`re going to be the head of household. If you`re not, you would fall under the supported category and not need any at all - It really depends upon your spouse and your guarantor. It DOESN`T have to be your spouse. My husband is mine now, but when we first were married his father wrote the "letter of guarantee". All they want is proof that either YOU can support yourself, or that someone else will support you in Japan. That someone else can be anyone as long as they are Japanese, and make enough money.

Quote:
Also! What happens after the "3 years or 1 year"? Would I have to go back to England??
No, you just take your passport to the immigration office, fill out a renewal form, and in about a month you get your brand new visa - which will either last for 1 or 3 years. The length is more so they can check up on you - if you`re no longer married then you obviously should no longer be in Japan. If you`re still happily married, all you need to do is show them proof of that, and pay a fee, and you have a shiny new visa.
I had three or four 1 year visas in a row before they gave me a 3 year one. The younger you are, it seems the less they take you seriously and the longer it takes before they`re willing to give you a 3 year visa.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#357 (permalink))
Old
Osensei (Offline)
New to JF

06-03-2007, 04:53 PM

Can I expect to live a good life in Japan with a BA and MBA in Business Administration?
(#358 (permalink))
Old
Takushimazu (Offline)
New to JF

06-03-2007, 10:41 PM

Nyororin.. Thank you so much for your help! ..hearing about someone who has already been through what I intend to do really makes me feel so much more confident about my plans for the future.

I hope that everything will go smoothly for me when I move to Japan next year.. thank you for your help.. ありがとうございます!
(#359 (permalink))
Old
jass15 (Offline)
||||..NaMiDa..||||

Send a message via Yahoo to jass15
06-07-2007, 03:44 AM

Well, I'm not that new in this forum, but I don't post as much as other people. But, I just wanted to say thanks to everybody for all the information about Japan. Thank you !!!!!

@ Nyororin: Thank you very much for all the info you gave us (me). I think it really helped me a lot. I think I got to put my feet on earth because I was just planning on going to Japan but knowing almost nothing about how to get there ( well, I thought I was going to be an exchange student, but I think I'll think about it more carefully). And I'm glad to "hear" your life is pretty much okay. I can't even imagine how hard your life was with your mother, but it's good to know your life is more much BETTER now. Thanks for everything. I really hope we can get to know each other (even though I might be a bit immature, I really hope we can be friends...despite of age).
(#360 (permalink))
Old
anastasia (Offline)
New to JF

help me please - 06-07-2007, 08:16 AM

hai..
i want to go to japan next year. can u tell me where is the cheap hotels in tokyo...
thanks