JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#431 (permalink))
Old
vulgarshudder (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-07-2007, 12:13 AM

Uh you don't always get host familys for university study abroad programs. If there is, it's usually short term (6 weeks), and optional. I didn't bother looking into it, I value my independence too much.

You will be an exchange student with a university which your university has an agreement with. You go there, and someone from there comes to your uni in that year.

The idea is to further your japanese...what the classes are like will depend on the university. Some unis have very tough intensive programes...some you turn up you get a B, you hand some work you get an A. But to be honest it won't be the classroom you'll be learning the most japanese, it'll be outside actually using your japanese. But that'll depend on what the foriegner community is like at the uni and how determined you are. I knew people who went to waseda, which has ALOT of foriegners and classes in english
where as I went to a uni that had 2 other white people that year and ALL my classes were in Japanese. I admit I goofed off a bit class wise, but I hung out alot more with japanese people and to this day my speaking and listening are still better than the waseda people.

The university should sort out everything, you fill in application forms (how long these are or if there's a medical depends on the uni) send them to them, and they send you your certificate of eligibility for the visa.

The university will arrange accomadation for you, a dormitry.

おれんとこ来ないか?
(#432 (permalink))
Old
Nikoletta (Offline)
New to JF

07-15-2007, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulgarshudder View Post
Uh you don't always get host familys for university study abroad programs. If there is, it's usually short term (6 weeks), and optional. I didn't bother looking into it, I value my independence too much.

You will be an exchange student with a university which your university has an agreement with. You go there, and someone from there comes to your uni in that year.

The idea is to further your japanese...what the classes are like will depend on the university. Some unis have very tough intensive programes...some you turn up you get a B, you hand some work you get an A. But to be honest it won't be the classroom you'll be learning the most japanese, it'll be outside actually using your japanese. But that'll depend on what the foriegner community is like at the uni and how determined you are. I knew people who went to waseda, which has ALOT of foriegners and classes in english
where as I went to a uni that had 2 other white people that year and ALL my classes were in Japanese. I admit I goofed off a bit class wise, but I hung out alot more with japanese people and to this day my speaking and listening are still better than the waseda people.

The university should sort out everything, you fill in application forms (how long these are or if there's a medical depends on the uni) send them to them, and they send you your certificate of eligibility for the visa.

The university will arrange accomadation for you, a dormitry.
Ahh, thanks for all that info., it's comforting to know that you don't have to go apartment hunting or anything. And I see what you mean about the actual living in Japan part that improves your speaking/listening. I still can't decide whether to go for the degree in languages. I just wonder what sort of doors you open with it (I say languages because I was going to combine it with Japanese A and maybe Italian B or something), as opposed to maybe a degree in something else like history.
(#433 (permalink))
Old
Lonewolf (Offline)
New to JF

07-16-2007, 12:03 AM

I was wandering about something. When a foreign woman marries a Japanese man, I assume she takes his surname (i.e she has a "foreign" name and a Japanese surname) But when a Japanese woman marries a foreign man, I take it she also takes his surname then (Japanese name foreign surname) How do Japanese women feel about having a foreign surname?
(#434 (permalink))
Old
Zagato289 (Offline)
Multi-Console Gamer

Smile 07-17-2007, 02:22 AM

Hey there, Nyororin. My name is Zagato, and I from Mexico, but Iive in Texas. Right now I'm a high school student. I was wondering if you can help me. I love Japan a lot and I want to work as a doctor over there. The problem is that I don't know what to do first after I finish my studies in college before going to Japan. Some people had told me to get a visa first. Others had told me that after I get experience as a doctor, I should transfer over to Japan. I'm confused. Can you please help me? What should I do first?

It's so easy, To think about Love, To Talk about Love, To wish for Love, But it's not always easy, To recognize Love, Even when we hold it.... In our hands."
--Jaka

(#435 (permalink))
Old
Jeffanime (Offline)
New to JF

07-20-2007, 05:46 AM

thank you! For your inspireing story! How are things now?
I hope you're doing well! I too wish to go to japan!
This really helped me!
(#436 (permalink))
Old
Okinawa (Offline)
Okinawa Japan Sweety

08-06-2007, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
Just thought I`d volunteer any info that anyone needs...

I live in Japan, not in Tokyo, and have lived here for almost 9 years now. I basically came to Japan with nothing (On my own, not part of any program, not as a teacher, with almost no money, etc) when I was 17, and have been here pretty much ever since.

I`m now married, and *own* a home. I`m willing to answer pretty much any questions about real life in Japan - not the English teacher in Tokyo type stuff... Because that`s only like 0.1% of reality. (Not to offend any of the English teachers in Tokyo or anything though.)

We usually try and help other people who are/were in the same boat as I was when I came to Japan (Bad family life, etc), but last year a girl we let stay with us really screwed us over so we have stopped for the time being. But I really want to help people, so if I can in any way please ask!

(Oh, and I think I mentioned a lot more stuff in my intro in the introductions thread, so...)

Wow, I wish I could have come to japan that way. It sounds very much like a success story!

I love taking Pictures of Japan. I love Japan, do you? Check out my Okinawa Pictures. Okinawa is home, a small little island in Japan.
(#437 (permalink))
Old
airielchan (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to airielchan Send a message via MSN to airielchan
08-12-2007, 02:16 AM

Wow, I am extremley jealous of you (for being in your current position now, mind you).

I am sixteen years old, and have been more or lessed obsessed with Japanese culture and their language since I took part in an exploratory course around grade five.

I'm taking a beginners Japanese course at the U of M during the summer right now, and I really want to go to Japan for a year to teach English (to Highschool students, not College). <- I'd love to teach there. >3<
ANYWAY.

I was just wondering..

Were you very fluent when you first began living in Japan?
If not, how long did it take you to become so? Did you just learn from being around others, or did you enroll in classes there to learn the language?

Thanks!
(#438 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-12-2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airielchan View Post
Were you very fluent when you first began living in Japan?
Not at all. I believe I could greet people, and stumble through letting them know basic needs (I`m hungry, I`m thirsty, Where is the toilet? etc level.)

Quote:
If not, how long did it take you to become so?
I was able to communicate well using gestures and small drawings in addition to language after about 2 months. I could stumble through a phone conversation after about 3. I`d say I reached real competency after around 4 or 5 months.
I met my husband after 6 months, and he wouldn`t believe I wasn`t Japanese and just pretending not to be at first. (Our early communication was through email and messenger.)

Quote:
Did you just learn from being around others, or did you enroll in classes there to learn the language?
No formal classes in Japan... I took a little university class before coming over here, but it basically only gave me the basics of the basics.
I just learned it by being around everyone and by desperately wanting to communicate.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#439 (permalink))
Old
Pheonix1337 (Offline)
New to JF

08-13-2007, 07:02 AM

Wow, thats really all I can say lol. Thats really inspirational. My uncles are both Korean, however, my grandfather raised us in the japanese culture, so Ive always felt like I should have been born there instead of the US. Im completely obbsessed with Japan, and want to travel there in May (dying to see the sakura trees in bloom) I would absolutely love to live there one day. Any advice you have on good profesions? Im not one who cares about being rich, just happy. So if you know any, obviously not teaching english, that would be great. Also, would love to know about life in general there. All in all, congratulations on finding happiness, it definately seems like you deserve it
(#440 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
08-13-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix1337 View Post
want to travel there in May (dying to see the sakura trees in bloom)
Then you`ll need to go before May. They bloom in late March / early April. Even the latest ones in the northernmost parts of Hokkaido are pretty much done by May.

They only really last a week.

As for employment - I can`t really give you any suggestions. Japan is like any other country - there are countless types of employment. If you don`t want to teach English, you`ll just have to compete with native Japanese for positions.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.